RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Caitlin Clark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 05/19/24 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wtgq7ufJu2M?si=mhu8irvuTEeK49WP" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0POquahtf0o?si=VfMttdDVMiJKBsi-" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 05/20/24 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/20/24 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Stephen A. Smith: This is much ado about nothing.

Clark has played only three measly games on a weak and chemically yet-to-bond team, from which not a whole lot can be extrapolated. Clark won't score as much in the WNBA as she did in college, but I expect she'll adjust to the different competitive environment and eventually become an upper echelon player.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/24 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
I find the new fans’ narrative about the league having it out for Clark and wanting her to fail hilarious / vaguely terrifying. Today I read that Stewie would never lay a screen on a veteran player, also that Clark is being treated like Jackie Robinson when he first broke into the big leagues.

Didn’t we used to call this Our Girls Syndrome?

Some of the stuff on social media has been an absolute nonsense. Pulling clips and saying "no one would do this to a normal player!" or "look at them freezing Clark out!" which show opposition teams playing defense or setting screens, and her teammates not passing to her when she wasn't open. It's been laughable. And no shit they're going to pressure her. a) They know how good she is (it's a sign of respect), and b) it's working, considering she just broke the record for turnovers in the first three games of a season.

On the bright side, maybe more and more people screaming nonsense that illustrates how little they actually understand about the sport/league is an indicator of the growth of the WNBA? It's becoming more and more like the big leagues, which have had all this shit for eons.

PostPosted: 05/21/24 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overreaction and baseless criticism just means the W is getting treated like any other sport -- and it's about time. (Except for The Next, which is relentlessly positive, regardless of what's actually happening.)

For me, the biggest thing about Clark is that she's an even worse defender than I thought she'd be. Not only is she fundamentally unsound in the way she defends, she appears to have little idea of team defense or the mental aspect of defending.

She will get better, of course, but right now she's just awful at that end of the floor.,

PostPosted: 05/21/24 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Overreaction and baseless criticism just means the W is getting treated like any other sport -- and it's about time. (Except for The Next, which is relentlessly positive, regardless of what's actually happening.)

For me, the biggest thing about Clark is that she's an even worse defender than I thought she'd be. Not only is she fundamentally unsound in the way she defends, she appears to have little idea of team defense or the mental aspect of defending.

She will get better, of course, but right now she's just awful at that end of the floor.,

It's not terribly surprising that she is so bad at defense. Lisa Bluder's teams never really played defense to speak of. It had been the case for the entire time she was at Iowa. It's strange. She is an offensive genius and could have been a HOF coach if she had just bothered with the other end of the court.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/21/24 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Baseless criticism is a large part of the criticism the W has gotten since its inception.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/21/24 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Baseless criticism is a large part of the criticism the W has gotten since its inception.

True, but now it comes from performance not prejudice -- at least more of it.

PostPosted: 05/21/24 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought she's actually decent in the defensive end. Sure, she's not going to stop every player BUT she's actually holding her own.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
tfan

PostPosted: 05/22/24 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark four games versus Ionescu career stats.

https://stathead.com/basketball/vs/caitlin-clark-vs-sabrina-ionescu

tfan

PostPosted: 05/22/24 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How has Caitlin Clark played so far in WNBA rookie season?

Quote:
Still, the time it took the most recent high-scoring guards drafted with the top pick (Sabrina Ionescu and Kelsey Plum) to develop into WNBA stars tempered those expectations. Clark's first four games have looked a lot like Ionescu's abbreviated three-game rookie season, which featured a 33-point game but also more turnovers than assists.

Michael

PostPosted: 05/24/24 8:25 am    ::: Re: Caitlin Clark Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Come on, Clark (and Reese) exploded in last year’s March Madness, and momentum has been building for CC ever since.

My recollection was that Clark didn't start selling out away arenas and creating hysteria until after she broke the record on February 16th, followed by even more excitement as she broke Woodard's and Maravich's records. But I see that's wrong. There were sellouts back in December.

SELLOUTS MOUNT FOR IOWA STAR CAITLIN CLARK’S BIG TEN ROAD GAMES

This article from January says Iowa was increasing attendance at away games by 145%:

The Caitlin Clark Effect is alive and real as Iowa Hawkeyes are selling out arenas

So I guess she did nationally grab people in 2022-2023.

Your memory is wrong, Clark set a record for pre-season game attendance with 55k at Kinnick stadium for an exhibition game against DePaul this last season. Many of Iowa's Big Ten opponents games hosting Iowa were sold out by Christmas

PostPosted: 05/24/24 3:44 pm    ::: Re: Caitlin Clark Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
tfan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Come on, Clark (and Reese) exploded in last year’s March Madness, and momentum has been building for CC ever since.

My recollection was that Clark didn't start selling out away arenas and creating hysteria until after she broke the record on February 16th, followed by even more excitement as she broke Woodard's and Maravich's records. But I see that's wrong. There were sellouts back in December.

SELLOUTS MOUNT FOR IOWA STAR CAITLIN CLARK’S BIG TEN ROAD GAMES

This article from January says Iowa was increasing attendance at away games by 145%:

The Caitlin Clark Effect is alive and real as Iowa Hawkeyes are selling out arenas

So I guess she did nationally grab people in 2022-2023.

Your memory is wrong, Clark set a record for pre-season game attendance with 55k at Kinnick stadium for an exhibition game against DePaul this last season. Many of Iowa's Big Ten opponents games hosting Iowa were sold out by Christmas

I said there were sellouts back in December.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/26/24 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people are taking historical analysis as hatred. WNBA vets and retired vets have basically said that Clark will experience a learning curve as she makes an adjustment to playing in the W. Every rookie in WNBA history experiences this same adjustment. Clark worshipers don't want to hear that. They believe that she will step into the league producing the same stats that she put up in college. Keep dreaming, newbies. 🙄

PostPosted: 05/26/24 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Some people are taking historical analysis as hatred. WNBA vets and retired vets have basically said that Clark will experience a learning curve as she makes an adjustment to playing in the W. Every rookie in WNBA history experiences this same adjustment. Clark worshipers don't want to hear that. They believe that she will step into the league producing the same stats that she put up in college. Keep dreaming, newbies. 🙄

Sides has already been on their hot seat since day one.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/31/24 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
. . . I think of she's going to be mentally damaged that she'll never be able to live up to her full potential. Two years from now, a year from now, three years from now, she might say 'hey, I've had enough of this. I'm going to go do something else.'

It’s not just the Black WNBA players. The lesbian crew, the Diana Taurasi’s, the Sue Bird’s, Breanna Stewart; they’re right them with them in terms of their hatred of Caitlin Clark.

Jason Whitlock: Why Caitlin Clark Will Have a Very Short WNBA Career

Does any of this ring true or make sense? It doesn't to me.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/31/24 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Whitlock made sense it would be the first time

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/31/24 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Quote:
. . . I think of she's going to be mentally damaged that she'll never be able to live up to her full potential. Two years from now, a year from now, three years from now, she might say 'hey, I've had enough of this. I'm going to go do something else.'

It’s not just the Black WNBA players. The lesbian crew, the Diana Taurasi’s, the Sue Bird’s, Breanna Stewart; they’re right them with them in terms of their hatred of Caitlin Clark.

Jason Whitlock: Why Caitlin Clark Will Have a Very Short WNBA Career

Does any of this ring true or make sense? It doesn't to me.

I’m gonna need men to stop making Clark some poor little victim.

She’s a great player and a competitor- and she’ll figure it out. She already has some.

Yeah she’s frustrated with the refs. That’s fair, I’ve watched for twenty years and have always said they aren’t conductive to marketable basketball - but great players figure it out. At some point Clark will learn how to hit back.

PostPosted: 05/31/24 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the most glaringly comparable players to Clark is Kelsey Plum, who took the best part of four years to go from an exciting but inconsistent player who was a defensive liability to one of the best guards in the league. Clark has a few inches on her, which should help, but still. A lot of us said this was likely to be how it played out.

And yeah, Whitlock's a moron who should always be completely ignored.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: