RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/01/24 3:25 pm    ::: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing JuJu Watkins and Paige. Any others?
snzuluz

PostPosted: 05/01/24 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hannah Hildago and Olivia Miles from Notre Dame.
The point guard for Virginia Tech who transferred to Kentucky following her coach.
Kiki Rice of UCLA and they’re big post player.
The other top-tier transfers who left their schools to go to USC to include the stud from Stanford.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/01/24 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiki Iriafen and Tallia von Oelhoffen, now from USC. Maybe Lucy Olsen, now from Iowa.

And the "VA Tech Point guard" you mentioned is Georgia Amoore.

Not gonna be anybody from Tennessee for sure.

PostPosted: 05/01/24 10:13 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Yeah, as mentioned - any number might. Hidalgo, Miles, maybe Fulwiley. Madison Booker at TX had a great freshman year, and if her sidekick (Harmon) is in top form, SHE can be pretty amazing.

I'm curious if any of the freshmen coming in will have the impact that kids like Juju and Hannah have had as freshmen. It'll be fun to watch!

PostPosted: 05/02/24 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soooo... is it the coach? The campus? The spotlight? Is it JuJu? Why are so many high profile transfers going to USC?
Howee

PostPosted: 05/02/24 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Soooo... is it the coach? The campus? The spotlight? Is it JuJu? Why are so many high profile transfers going to USC?

I'd say "All of the above!". Really. Think about it - who DOESN'T wanna hop onto a winning team? PaoPao > SC. Reese, VanLith, Morrow > Lousiana State.
JuJu is being hailed as the Next Caitlin Clark, if not in so many words. If USC wants ya, why NOT go and win lots. Cool

PostPosted: 05/02/24 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

It's not the campus! Having grown up 10 miles from the USC Trojan campus, I can tell you that's not the allure. I'm guessing it's the Hollywood connection and strong program in movie production that's opening up NIL opportunities to the biggest population concentration in this country. Add in that the two LA schools offer winter sunshine to the very cold Big Ten schools and you've got kismet.

Definitely getting Juju was tipping the dominoes in USC's favor. We've seen how Juju can elevate and average lineup, now we can see how she fits in with some high caliber veteran transfers in.

Disclosure: I grew up a USC Trojan fan since my dad is an alum. But I attended UCLA for a year, so I now root for both LA teams.

~rAf
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/02/24 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't underestimate Coach Gottlieb either. She took Cal to the Final Four, no small feat. She relates well to players and was able to turn the fortunes around for a school that has had many very good players over the past 3 decades but only spotty success.

The big question for me is how playing in the Big 10 (or Big 18) and the associated travel will impact them down the stretch. This will be a big challenge for USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/03/24 5:06 am    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

ESPN is in a real conundrum. It's two biggest stars, Juju and Paige, play in conferences that don't have ESPN contracts.

Last year, they had to hype Clark, because, well, Clark. But Paige was largely ignored by ESPN last year. Some of that was our abysmal season cause by the injuries, but some of that is because the ESPN talking heads simply don't like UCONN.

Now with USC going to the B10 and that conference having a Fox contract only, it should be interesting.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/03/24 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Competitors like to win.

USC was really good last year, and is likely to be really good this year. So players with options will give it serious consideration.

It's just like pickup at the park. Given a chance, the good players will all wind up on the same team.

PostPosted: 05/05/24 2:09 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

ESPN is in a real conundrum. It's two biggest stars, Juju and Paige, play in conferences that don't have ESPN contracts.

Last year, they had to hype Clark, because, well, Clark. But Paige was largely ignored by ESPN last year. Some of that was our abysmal season cause by the injuries, but some of that is because the ESPN talking heads simply don't like UCONN.

Now with USC going to the B10 and that conference having a Fox contract only, it should be interesting.

This is RICH. 2+ decades of nonstop UConn on ESPN and suddenly ESPN doesn't like UConn???? Other teams have been begging ESPN to talk about their players, but UConn bench players have received more air time than stars on other teams. ESPN has aired bench (aka "non playing") players, showing them cheering from the bench, while stars from other teams are barely mentioned.

So now, when injuries finally hobbled the UConn machine - after two decades of extra good luck - a player emerges who captivates most of the country and ESPN finally covers a non UConn player, it's because ESPN doesn't "like" UConn.???? Pardon me while I roll on the floor, out the door, down the street laughing my fool head off.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/24 2:15 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

This is RICH. 2+ decades of nonstop UConn on ESPN and suddenly ESPN doesn't like UConn???? Other teams have been begging ESPN to talk about their players, but UConn bench players have received more air time than stars on other teams. ESPN has aired bench (aka "non playing") players, showing them cheering from the bench, while stars from other teams are barely mentioned.

So now, when injuries finally hobbled the UConn machine - after two decades of extra good luck - a player emerges who captivates most of the country and ESPN finally covers a non UConn player, it's because ESPN doesn't "like" UConn.???? Pardon me while I roll on the floor, out the door, down the street laughing my fool head off.

Yeah, ESPN has "suddenly" discovered that there are other teams and players in the country, so now they don't "like" UConn? OMG! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/05/24 7:59 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Yeah, ESPN has "suddenly" discovered that there are other teams and players in the country, so now they don't "like" UConn? OMG! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LMAO at this coming from you two. 🤡🤡 SHOCKING!!

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/07/24 6:03 am    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

YUP! Rebkell's own Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/07/24 9:33 am    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Ummm...but they're right, though!?!? Paige got just as much hype as anyone in the country not named Caitlin Clark this season. Maybe JuJu got a bit more because she's a Freshman, but superstar freshmen always get hyped. Hell, damn Paige was NPoY as a Freshman. As a UConn neutral, this take does come off as a bit entitled.

PostPosted: 05/07/24 7:31 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Ummm...but they're right, though!?!? Paige got just as much hype as anyone in the country not named Caitlin Clark this season. Maybe JuJu got a bit more because she's a Freshman, but superstar freshmen always get hyped. Hell, damn Paige was NPoY as a Freshman. As a UConn neutral, this take does come off as a bit entitled.

Thank you Ginger. I know there are LOTS of fans sick of hearing every minute detail of every UConn player while their actual star goes unmentioned. Whether they'll comment here or not is unknown.

And who the holy hell are Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne? Whiny comment, then obscure ucbart insult? Check.

~rAf
CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/08/24 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
But I attended UCLA for a year, so I now root for both LA teams.

Isn't that illegal? Wink

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/08/24 6:15 am    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

LOL! What? Paige was practically ignored this season until the NCAAT when ESPN could market her because she played on their network. It's basic marketing.

ESPN has shaded UCONN since we left the American, especially by the in studio hosts. There is a very clear anti-UCONN bias on set and I don't care what anyone says. So, call me entitled, I don't care. It's what I see and how I feel.

Michael

PostPosted: 05/08/24 12:25 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

LOL! What? Paige was practically ignored this season until the NCAAT when ESPN could market her because she played on their network. It's basic marketing.

ESPN has shaded UCONN since we left the American, especially by the in studio hosts. There is a very clear anti-UCONN bias on set and I don't care what anyone says. So, call me entitled, I don't care. It's what I see and how I feel.

ROFL.... so just because ESPN isn't talking about UConn in EVERY GAME like they used to hyping them up, you think you are being ignored?????????????
During the NCAA final four, they had Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi doing a simulcast. They weighed in on "Is Clark a great player without a ring" Then asked Swin Cash, Rebecca Lobo, Bria Stewart and one other UConn former great and to a woman they all said NO, she cannot be in our club because we have rings and she doesn't. And ESPN gave them this stage for that obnoxious entitled arrogance and to promote UConn.... and you claim to be ignored???????????? Come to the midwest sometime to feel what ignored really is.

PostPosted: 05/08/24 12:59 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

ROFL.... so just because ESPN isn't talking about UConn in EVERY GAME like they used to hyping them up, you think you are being ignored?????????????
During the NCAA final four, they had Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi doing a simulcast. They weighed in on "Is Clark a great player without a ring" Then asked Swin Cash, Rebecca Lobo, Bria Stewart and one other UConn former great and to a woman they all said NO, she cannot be in our club because we have rings and she doesn't. And ESPN gave them this stage for that obnoxious entitled arrogance and to promote UConn.... and you claim to be ignored???????????? Come to the midwest sometime to feel what ignored really is.

One time I'm going to agree with Michael...and I don't even live in the midwest!

PostPosted: 05/08/24 1:00 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

One time I'm going to agree with Michael...and I don't even live in the midwest!

PostPosted: 05/08/24 1:48 pm    ::: Re: Next Years Potentially Most Hyped Players? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

What a surprise...ucbart follows whining with more whining. ESPN is no longer fawning over uConn bench players so they have a "clear anti UConn bias." Like a two year old throwing a tantrum because they didn't get the curly straw.

~rAf

Last edited by readyAIMfire53 on 05/12/24 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 05/08/24 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sympathetic to those who are sick of hearing "UConn" "all the time". That's what I felt when UCLA men were winning all their titles. And that's what I felt when no compliment to Geno could be given without the announcers genuflecting to Knoxville.
Last year all any of the media talked about with respect to CT was the injuries. And those 5 second pans of the injured on the bench in most games never interferred with any of the other team's "superstars". If anything they ignored UConn's freshmen and focussed on the injured all season and I was and still am sick of it

You guys are really venting your spleens over that one.

UConn got the attention because they were the most recognizable name in wcbb for the last 15 years. Mention UConn and the non-fan looks because they recognize it. ESPN is all about the casual fan. Last year ESPN and the entire wcbb media was all LSU and the "Super Team" along with Clark. This year the hype is for USC who added 2 players that ESPN virtually ignored last year that are suddenly the key to winning a title.

The original poster that brought on this deluge of bitterness was making a valid point, that the ACC and the SEC are under contract to ESPN and Mickey Mouse doesn't advertise his competitors' shows.

Read Creme's comments. Every 2023 injured player in D1 is expected to return at 100% and help their team with the exception of UConn's injured who are all problematic according to Creme. Hell, he even has doubts that Bueckers can maintain her level of play from last season. Koval is expected to fill in nicely at center for ND while Marshal heals and yet he says that Strong will at best be a "place holder" next season. Fudd is problematic but Miles is just assumed to be 110% better without a doubt of her complete recovery.

I don't know if that's bias but it's surely some serious spin.

I think UConn has the No 1 recruiting class and adding El Alfy to that makes it a runaway. Nos 1,5 and 11? Come on. Creme doesn't even mention 3 of the four.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/09/24 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conspiracy theories are fun, but the people who make the serious decisions at ESPN and Disney could really care less about women's basketball.

Sure, they'll make it clear that certain leagues directly impact ESPN's revenues but to imagine that anyone with any juice is saying to Charlie Creme that he should make UConn look bad is simple fantasy.

If it's football, maybe, but the future of the decision-makers is not going to be determined by whether ESPN hypes Juju or Paige.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: