RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/30/24 12:23 am    ::: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

It's hyperbolic nonsense. Sure you can interpret her saying Clark will have a learning curve as smack talk (if you're trying to create controversy) but it's just a fact of the matter. As DT pointed out, there's a learning curve for everyone at each new level.
norwester

PostPosted: 04/30/24 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that it is nonsense. But I think also that DT calls out and trash talks people she likes. If she doesn’t like you, I think she doesn’t bring you up? Like rivalries and trash talking are the kind of life blood that sustain sports leagues. DT is just doing her job, really, and the internet will take anything and catastrophize. Laughing So I’d take anything with several grains of salt.

Also with new coverage of the W we’re bound to get a whole host of nonsense. Not just pearl clutching over DT. But also weird and icky stuff like make sportswriters objectifying these women they are suddenly pressed to I interview and write about.

PostPosted: 04/30/24 3:13 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
It's hyperbolic nonsense. Sure you can interpret her saying Clark will have a learning curve as smack talk (if you're trying to create controversy) but it's just a fact of the matter. As DT pointed out, there's a learning curve for everyone at each new level.

It feels to me like DT was yelling "Get off my lawn." Just like the youngsters are running circles around her on the court, they're doing the same off the court. Her remarks about Caitlin's adjustment were unnecessary as everybody knows when you move up a level, it will affect your numbers (she likely won't lead the league in scoring her first season). Great big DUH. She's being bitter that Caitlin is getting so much attention when she herself deserves to continue to be worshiped as the WNBA GOAT. She has the option of walking off the court gracefully, get the well deserved attention and celebrate the foundation she helped build so the young women can finally get the attention they deserve. Instead she's choosing to be grumpy.

~rAf
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/30/24 3:53 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

It feels to me like DT was yelling "Get off my lawn." Just like the youngsters are running circles around her on the court, they're doing the same off the court. Her remarks about Caitlin's adjustment were unnecessary as everybody knows when you move up a level, it will affect your numbers (she likely won't lead the league in scoring her first season). Great big DUH. She's being bitter that Caitlin is getting so much attention when she herself deserves to continue to be worshiped as the WNBA GOAT. She has the option of walking off the court gracefully, get the well deserved attention and celebrate the foundation she helped build so the young women can finally get the attention they deserve. Instead she's choosing to be grumpy.

It was an overemphasized, innocuous statement used to bolster clicks. A fact is a fact. It was a response to a question. Is DT competitive? Highly so. She likes to compete against similarly minded people. She respects Clark's game. Against, stating a fact doesn't necessarily make it an attempted diss..
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/30/24 6:58 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

And yet some many people on the Caitlin Clark bandwagon who don't watch the WNBA are expecting her to come in and be MVP as a rookie. So what should be common knowledge isn't to most of the people doing the talking.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/30/24 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked DT's follow up when asked about her comments on Clark: "The new fans are really sensitive these days." Laughing

Calling this "hyped up" is right. People who are already fans of the W should know that this isn't Taurasi vs Clark. A few years ago, Taurasi talked about how much she enjoyed crushing rookies - wanting to "f**king kill them" and mess with their heads. When Plum was a rookie, the vets were as physical with her as possible. They went after her. I bet most of the guards who were high draft picks have similar stories. DT is just more likely than the other vets to verbalize that she wants to "f**king kill" the rookies.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/30/24 7:32 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

This whole thing reminds me of the many players whining that the ABL players were going to take all their jobs. Sue Wicks spoke up and said "I welcome the competition and if they can beat me out to get my job - more power to them."

I'm reading about Erica Wheeler doing any/everything she can to help Caitlin adjust as fast and smoothly as possible. And Caitlin IS going to take Erica's job! Erica knows that sooner rather than later, she will be Caitlin's veteran back up.

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/30/24 8:43 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

I think calling Taurasi bitter or jealous is misogynistic. I think she wishes she was around for NIL though.

The reality is there is no beef. Taurasi said the rookies will have an adjustment period and that they should have grace while they adjust, after being asked in an interview...and somehow that’s hate. Okay. Cool Men get to be honest and give their real opinion for it. Charles Barkley is beloved for it. And she’s right: it usually takes players about three years before they are great, especially guards.

What the CC Swifties really have an issue is with Diana believing, with her full chest, that Paige is the better overall player. And tbh, I think she’ll be proven right - but I also think part of the reason she believes this is her UConn bias. But again, believing Paige Bueckers is the better overall player isn’t hating, it’s a valid opinion.

WNBA players were asked questions then people got mad when they gave their honest opinions - what they really wanted was for players to bow down.

PostPosted: 04/30/24 10:59 pm    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I think calling Taurasi bitter or jealous is misogynistic. I think she wishes she was around for NIL though.

The reality is there is no beef. Taurasi said the rookies will have an adjustment period and that they should have grace while they adjust, after being asked in an interview...and somehow that’s hate. Okay. Cool Men get to be honest and give their real opinion for it. Charles Barkley is beloved for it. And she’s right: it usually takes players about three years before they are great, especially guards.

What the CC Swifties really have an issue is with Diana believing, with her full chest, that Paige is the better overall player. And tbh, I think she’ll be proven right - but I also think part of the reason she believes this is her UConn bias. But again, believing Paige Bueckers is the better overall player isn’t hating, it’s a valid opinion.

WNBA players were asked questions then people got mad when they gave their honest opinions - what they really wanted was for players to bow down.

Actually, NOT calling a woman out for her bad behavior belittles all women. I get it, you've had 20+ yrs of denying/apologizing for DT's poor behaviors. You knew that her not playing most of a season due to "wisdom teeth" was a completely bogus way for Phoenix to tank to get Griner. As she sets and breaks her own records for technical fouls, it's somehow part of her "charm."

It was clear to most non apologists for DT that she had to throw a wet blanket on the Caitlin-mania. She could have said something like "she's clearly a great player and will do well in the league after she adjusts to playing against bigger/faster/stronger players in the W." But the way she said it reeks of cranky.

I might give her some leeway if she weren't bullying her way onto another Olympic team instead of earning a spot. Her entitlement is pathetic. I'm impressed more by CP3 saying she needed to retire so she wouldn't "cheat the game" as her body won't let her play at her previous level. DT is NOWHERE NEAR the player she was and frankly her attitude right now just sucks. STOP CHEATING THE GAME for the sake of setting a record unlikely to be broken since most players stop playing when their game starts sucking. But the only ego that can compete with Geno's just has to do it and nobody has the cojones to tell her NO.

~rAf
boogiezen

PostPosted: 05/01/24 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let it be. WNBA needs DRAMA. Fake or not. LOL. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/01/24 8:55 am    ::: Re: The Hyped Up Fake Taurasi/Clark Beef Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Actually, NOT calling a woman out for her bad behavior belittles all women. I get it, you've had 20+ yrs of denying/apologizing for DT's poor behaviors. You knew that her not playing most of a season due to "wisdom teeth" was a completely bogus way for Phoenix to tank to get Griner. As she sets and breaks her own records for technical fouls, it's somehow part of her "charm."

It was clear to most non apologists for DT that she had to throw a wet blanket on the Caitlin-mania. She could have said something like "she's clearly a great player and will do well in the league after she adjusts to playing against bigger/faster/stronger players in the W." But the way she said it reeks of cranky.

I might give her some leeway if she weren't bullying her way onto another Olympic team instead of earning a spot. Her entitlement is pathetic. I'm impressed more by CP3 saying she needed to retire so she wouldn't "cheat the game" as her body won't let her play at her previous level. DT is NOWHERE NEAR the player she was and frankly her attitude right now just sucks. STOP CHEATING THE GAME for the sake of setting a record unlikely to be broken since most players stop playing when their game starts sucking. But the only ego that can compete with Geno's just has to do it and nobody has the cojones to tell her NO.

I get it. You’ve had 20+ years of hating on DT, but pretending you don’t. Now it’s not what she said, but how she said it. Tone, you’re talking about tone in regards to a woman answering a question honestly.

And let’s be real, she’s not the only player who did so.

Second, again..we don’t beg men to retire. No one is out here saying Lebron needs to retire or cheat the game. That he’s taking a spot on the Olympic team from a player who deserves to be there (and there are plenty of young men who could be there)

CP3 is just ready to move on. She’s got a career in broadcasting that she’s excellent at. Great players get to retire when they want to. And again, trying to force women out is misogynistic. No one does this to men.

PostPosted: 05/01/24 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Let it be. WNBA needs DRAMA. Fake or not. LOL. Laughing

Exactly. This is a whole lotta absolutely nothing.
But "outraged" people are good for clicks and engagement so it's all good for the W.
And even some long time fans who should know better get to join the pile-on should they so choose.
Everybody wins.

PostPosted: 05/01/24 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This kind of thing happens in all major men's sports. A quote is taken out of context and blown up. It is turned into "beef" between to players. People with parasocial relationships with players choose sides and talk about how the other player is terrible or an asshole or whatever.

Rinse and repeat.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 05/01/24 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm generally always impressed with RAF's level of UConn/DT/Geno hate. Very Happy

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/01/24 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I'm generally always impressed with RAF's level of UConn/DT/Geno hate. Very Happy

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Always pleased to impress you huskiemaniac!

Trust me, you haven't seen real hate until your program has been destroyed by JPM. This is child's play.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 05/02/24 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi’s trash-talking, in-your-face ways may be a bit of a shock to new WNBA fans

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/diana-taurasis-trash-talking-in-your-face-ways-may-be-a-bit-of-a-shock-to-new-wnba-fans-142041832.html

Quote:
“Yeah, you know, the new fans are really sensitive these days,” Taurasi told a group of reporters Sunday in Phoenix before the Mercury left for training camp at San Diego State. “You can’t say anything.”

PostPosted: 05/02/24 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, the most popular/hated and audience-driving players from the college game - which is presumably where a lot of these new fans were recently directing their attention - were Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese. Two players who've hardly been afraid to speak their minds, especially on the court.

PostPosted: 05/02/24 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
I liked DT's follow up when asked about her comments on Clark: "The new fans are really sensitive these days." Laughing

Calling this "hyped up" is right. People who are already fans of the W should know that this isn't Taurasi vs Clark. A few years ago, Taurasi talked about how much she enjoyed crushing rookies - wanting to "f**king kill them" and mess with their heads. When Plum was a rookie, the vets were as physical with her as possible. They went after her. I bet most of the guards who were high draft picks have similar stories. DT is just more likely than the other vets to verbalize that she wants to "f**king kill" the rookies.

I was never a real fan of Plum when she entered the league, due mainly as a reaction to a friend who thought the sun rose and set on her. When she had a lot of difficulties her rookie season I have to admit I took glee in it, just so I could rub it into my friends face.

However, by objective nature got the better of me and I chose to watch many of her games after the season was over. What I discovered was that the league players went out of their way to play intensive defense against her unlke what the normally did to other players. Often the doubled her for no reasaon. They basically ganged up on her, probable in reaction to her fame coming into the league. It was absurd. Her scoring and production was down, yet the continued to play her like she was the teams star. A real example of jealousy and petty ness to the extreme.

PostPosted: 05/02/24 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark wasn't even born yet when Diana Taurasi decided to "punch something orange"

PostPosted: 05/03/24 5:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Caitlin Clark wasn't even born yet when Diana Taurasi decided to "punch something orange"

I've never felt so old. This is insane. LOL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: