RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Coaching Movement 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
whoopsjunkie2



Joined: 12 Apr 2022
Posts: 11



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/24 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shawn Poppie Named Clemson Women’s Basketball Head Coach

https://clemsontigers.com/shawn-poppie-named-clemson-womens-basketball-head-coach/


Second major conference vacancy filled. Second man replacing a woman.

Hope it's just two one-offs and not a trend developing.


I was concerned about the possibility of more women coaches being pushed aside especially as the women's game gains popularity, corporate support, etc. There are already more male coaches of D-1 NCAA WBB teams than there are female coaches (it's about 58-42%) but methinks the gap will grow and more women coaches will lose out on opportunities. We shall see.


I think it's really important to straighten out some of the narratives that are being pushed without anyone doing actual research.

2 years ago, the ACTUAL percentage of coaches female-to-male in NCAA Division I Basketball was as follows:

60-40 Head Coaches (Female to Male)

As for assistant coaches it was about the same percentage-wise. For support staff it was closer to 50-50.

I know because I did the research. All 353 websites I visited. I only mention it because people tend to overreact when a man gets hired to be a head coach. The gap is simply not as drastic as it has been made out to be. I can't speak for non-DI levels because I didn't research them. But the idea that there are more Male coaches than Female coaches in Division I basketball is simply not a factual statement. Muffett McGraw's point was that none of the jobs in men's basketball are going to women, so why should women's basketball hire male coaches. I think the quote matters.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 723



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wesley Brooks to Utah State



https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-womens-basketball/2024/04/146462/utah-state-hires-ohio-state-women-s-basketball-assistant-wesley-brooks-as-head-coach


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 7809
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/24 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Tulane has hired Stony Brook head coach Ashley Langford as their next head womens basketball coach

https://twitter.com/goodmansport/status/1775160038576869404


Wow, that's a nice step up for her! Not so long ago she was an assistant at JMU. Good luck, Coach Ashley!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia Tech hires Megan Duffy - https://x.com/hokieswbb/status/1775543804109455546?s=12


Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 1271



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a big deal.




Last edited by Phil on 04/03/24 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
That's a big deal. Not a good week for Marquette.


I've known Karlen wasn't coming back since she participated in the senior day ceremonies so not surprised to see her in the portal. The roster for 24-25 looked to be in very bad shape - this is a big rebuild job at this point and Duffy would have had to do the rebuilding had she stayed. Let's just say this is a good time for her to be moving on.

Now let's see who they can hire to replace her.


Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 1271



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard Kellie Harper is available


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 7809
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I heard Kellie Harper is available


That's not only a step down, it's a fall down the stairs.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I heard Kellie Harper is available


I’m guessing she’ll land at a school in a better conference for Women’s Basketball than the Big East.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 15729
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
sorry, I'm off-topic


Not REALLY. I'm glad to see the data thusly illustrated. When someone mentioned Kelly on the hot seat, I saw her record this year (3rd in the SEC?) and thought, 'Nahh....Not NOW'.

As Clay said, that's a HELLUVA High Bar. Shocked



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
snzuluz



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 190



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette has at least five players in the transfer portal and this was before the news that Duffy was leaving. Marquette is my local college team (I am a season ticket holder) and I have to say there’s nothing exciting about them when you see them in person. They hardly fast break. Their defense is so so. Duffy is taking a major step up going to the ACC, and she’s certainly going to have to up her game in recruiting and coaching.
Can’t say Virginia Tech really upgraded their program in who they hired.

Marquette seems to be a steppingstone coaching position. As long as Geno is at University of Connecticut coaches, other conference coaches are assured that they can’t win the big east regular season let alone the conference championship.

The gym and facility at Marquette is a dump. I was always amazed that they could get a recruit to go there, because there are middle school gyms in the Milwaukee area that are nicer than what the Marquette women play in. It’s old school in the athletic administration in thinking that players want to play in the Al Maguire Center. The food and concessions are horrible and I actually attended the Connecticut game this year where you thought they would’ve rolled out the red carpet for fans. They certainly didn’t.

I can’t imagine Marquette could draw a big-time coach, but instead will take someone from a mid major…they’ll stay a couple years and move on.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Marquette has at least five players in the transfer portal and this was before the news that Duffy was leaving. Marquette is my local college team (I am a season ticket holder) and I have to say there’s nothing exciting about them when you see them in person. They hardly fast break. Their defense is so so. Duffy is taking a major step up going to the ACC, and she’s certainly going to have to up her game in recruiting and coaching.
Can’t say Virginia Tech really upgraded their program in who they hired.

Marquette seems to be a steppingstone coaching position. As long as Geno is at University of Connecticut coaches, other conference coaches are assured that they can’t win the big east regular season let alone the conference championship.

The gym and facility at Marquette is a dump. I was always amazed that they could get a recruit to go there, because there are middle school gyms in the Milwaukee area that are nicer than what the Marquette women play in. It’s old school in the athletic administration in thinking that players want to play in the Al Maguire Center. The food and concessions are horrible and I actually attended the Connecticut game this year where you thought they would’ve rolled out the red carpet for fans. They certainly didn’t.

I can’t imagine Marquette could draw a big-time coach, but instead will take someone from a mid major…they’ll stay a couple years and move on.


Marquette has two players in the portal this year as far as I know.

I like the Al a lot myself - I go to see games though and don’t worry about concessions.

I don’t think Marquette will ever be more than a stepping stone job and have already said today they are in bad shape for 24-25 and it will be a big rebuilding job.


Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 1271



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quentin Hillsman to AC at Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/OleMissWBB/status/1775614775512175060


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 1055
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Duffy to head coach at Va Tech.

https://twitter.com/hokieswbb/status/1775543804109455546?s=61&t=5ioP7bmLC0bfa5ao-xabXA


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 18023
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/24 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Quentin Hillsman to AC at Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/OleMissWBB/status/1775614775512175060


You can always tell that they're so sure it's a good hire when they shut off the comments. /s

(as a reminder, this is the dude who basically turbo-nuked Syracuse with his behavior)



_________________
Ardent believer in the separation of church and stadium.
scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8857
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/24 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Phil wrote:
Quentin Hillsman to AC at Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/OleMissWBB/status/1775614775512175060


You can always tell that they're so sure it's a good hire when they shut off the comments. /s

(as a reminder, this is the dude who basically turbo-nuked Syracuse with his behavior)


Love the press release statement that he was ‘thoroughly vetted’. Who does the vetting at Ole Miss? They need to be taught how to do Google searches. Why did so many of his Syracuse players enter the portal, maybe to get out of the toxic environment he created? So, they ‘know his heart’ & still deemed him worthy of being around young women?

And what part did Coach Yo play in the decision making process? Two coaches have already left. It’s a nasty scene down south.



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/24 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This report has Toledo’s Tricia Cullop becoming the next coach at Miami replacing Katie Meier who retired. https://x.com/primetimemitch/status/1776017281748807818?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg


HomerCecil



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Posts: 1209



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
This report has Toledo’s Tricia Cullop becoming the next coach at Miami replacing Katie Meier who retired. https://x.com/primetimemitch/status/1776017281748807818?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg


That's very interesting. Cullop (I would assume) has had opportunities to leave Toledo -- she's been there a very long time, has had sustained success including winning a tournament game, which is very hard to do out of the MAC. I think she could have moved up to a Big 10 job at some point--somewhere like a Purdue or a Michigan State. I would have pegged her staying in the Midwest had she decided to leave Toledo.

That said, good for her. Maybe she saw a future where all of her best players would transfer up and decided to bolt. Or maybe she wants better weather! Wink


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66863
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

App State Welcomes Alaura Sharp as Women’s Basketball Head Coach

https://appstatesports.com/news/2024/4/5/womens-basketball-app-state-welcomes-alaura-sharp-as-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx



_________________
I'm a lonely frog
I ain't got a home
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
This report has Toledo’s Tricia Cullop becoming the next coach at Miami replacing Katie Meier who retired. https://x.com/primetimemitch/status/1776017281748807818?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg


That's very interesting. Cullop (I would assume) has had opportunities to leave Toledo -- she's been there a very long time, has had sustained success including winning a tournament game, which is very hard to do out of the MAC. I think she could have moved up to a Big 10 job at some point--somewhere like a Purdue or a Michigan State. I would have pegged her staying in the Midwest had she decided to leave Toledo.

That said, good for her. Maybe she saw a future where all of her best players would transfer up and decided to bolt. Or maybe she wants better weather! Wink


I heard she turned down Marquette 5 years ago when they hired Kieger. But not sure if that’s the case or not.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Camryn Volz and Northern Kentucky agree to part ways - https://x.com/raoul_000/status/1776386081107132785?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3570



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonathan Tsipis named Western Carolina coach - https://catamountsports.com/news/2024/4/5/womens-basketball-jonathan-tsipis-named-wcu-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 8935



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/24 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
This report has Toledo’s Tricia Cullop becoming the next coach at Miami replacing Katie Meier who retired. https://x.com/primetimemitch/status/1776017281748807818?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg


Always liked Tricia when she played at Purdue. Just a steady, dependable player. I sure hope this works out for her. She has put in the time and the work.

(I always get nervous with these hires. Successful mid-major coach moving up to power 5 and becoming Melanie Balcomb.)



_________________
"Women are judged on their success, men on their potential. It’s time we started believing in the potential of women." —Muffet McGraw

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 11129



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/24 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not movement, but Charmin Smith was extended at Cal through 28-29. She has been there five years, and had her best season this last one: 19-13.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 15729
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/24 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Marquette has two players in the portal this year as far as I know.


According to Raoul, there only 2 officially in the portal at this point.

Most unfortunate, but at least you know it's cuz the coach is leaving....MY TEAM has everyone leaving, with the coach staying. Shocked Razz



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin