RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Utah team subject to racial abuse in Idaho
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snichols

PostPosted: 03/26/24 1:23 pm    ::: Utah team subject to racial abuse in Idaho Reply Reply with quote

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/mar/26/racial-harassment-in-coeur-dalene-mars-utahs-women/

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/26/24 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For all the fans and others who say "Shut up and dribble," this is why we cannot and will not.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/26/24 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly. Meanwhile some claim there’s no racism in America and hence DEI initiatives are unnecessary—this demonstrates why more education and initiatives are needed if we are to continue to evolve as a safe and inclusive society for all. I’m so sorry this happened. Being forced to move hotels during a highly stressful time only added to the damage already inflicted by the verbal slurs and aggressive behaviors.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/24 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even more seem to think this sort of nonsense is limited to the South

PostPosted: 03/26/24 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hell, no....every one of the 50 Grand States can show you all the racism you (never) wanna see.

On a related note, I saw somewhere that at least 8 states are legislating diversity education into their school curriculae. This is an awesome current movement, in view of the shit-shows in places like TX and FL.

Last edited by Howee on 03/26/24 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/26/24 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Roberts, the NCAA told them that if they [Utah] hosted they could not put teams up in Park City, Ogden, or Provo...which are similar distances from SLC as Coeur D'Alene is from Spokane. So why they gave permission to Gonzaga and especially in a state known for its ultra racist xenophobic atmosphere is shameful and raises big questions! If a team can't host other teams in a safe environment then that team simply shouldn't be allowed to host. period. And maybe the NCAA needs to provide 24/7 security in these situations.

ridor

PostPosted: 03/26/24 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in southeastern Idaho. Coeur D'Alene (aka CDA) is in northern of Idaho Peninsula - roughly about 500 miles away from where I am. CDA has a long reputation of being hostile towards the visitors, especially with the BIPOCs. It also attracted a wide variety of groups including the MAGAts, Conservatives, Republicans and evangelical Christians. I was told that the worst towns or rural areas that was suggested for me to be cautious is CDA, Post Falls, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry and Spokane Valley (east of Downtown Spokane).

What Utah players & coaches experience did not surprise me at all. CDA is quite beautiful and with a great bike trail called Trail of the Coeur d'Alene but what ruined the experience is its locals' intense hostility towards the tourists and people who are different from them. It is like you can use a knife to slice their aura of hate at ease. It is mind-boggling thing to observe and they feed it off from each other.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/26/24 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where is the police report?....was there violence?...video?...where is the web cams?......you mean some idiots called them names?...really?...and they reved their engines?...really....wow....that never happens...young men reving their engines....

did this even happen and is this coach embellishing things because she didn't like her hotel....

reminds me of what did not happen at BYU....

btw, the Coeur d Alene resort hotel is right on the lake and its a highly regarded and a vacation hot spot.....having a team stay there is a privilege....

and no Coeur d'Alene is not a racist hotbed at all......its a beautiful place with great people....not all, but that is normal for anywhere...

ridor

PostPosted: 03/27/24 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep on denying. CDA is pretty town. I was there not once but twice. But its people? I'd say 75% of them are hostile. Keep on denying, Elsie.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/27/24 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
where is the police report?....was there violence?...video?...where is the web cams?......you mean some idiots called them names?...really?...and they reved their engines?...really....wow....that never happens...young men reving their engines....

did this even happen and is this coach embellishing things because she didn't like her hotel....

btw, the Coeur d Alene resort hotel is right on the lake and its a highly regarded and a vacation hot spot.....having a team stay there is a privilege....

and no Coeur d'Alene is not a racist hotbed at all......its a beautiful place with great people....not all, but that is normal for anywhere...

You are complete trash.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/27/24 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

CdA mayor has publicly apologized to Utah WBB. Totally agree with the other posters. If Gonzaga and Spokane, a city of 250K, can’t find lodging in their city for their visiting teams without parking them 35 miles away in another state, then they shouldn’t be allowed to host. Simple as that.

And “elsie” needs to pull their head out of the sand. A “Privilege” to stay in CdA?? - smh.

PostPosted: 03/27/24 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It should also be noted that the Couer d'Alene mayor had a press conference yesterday to denounce what happened to Utah, and it was interrupted by a self-proclaimed white nationalist named Elsie, err, Dave Reilly.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/mar/26/racial-harassment-in-coeur-dalene-mars-utahs-women/

Dave Reilly, a self-proclaimed Christian nationalist and alt-right provocateur, interrupted the press conference and claimed he was a member of the media. He brought his child to the event and asked a question unrelated to the racial harassment, which led to a tense back and forth between speakers and Reilly. The conference was quickly shut down as people in the crowd booed him.

Reilly is known for his promotion of the 2017 Unite the Right Charlottesville rally that turned deadly. More recently, he had been hired as a consultant with the Idaho Freedom Foundation until a leadership shake-up earlier this year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/24 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shut up, "elsie". You've disgraced yourself on this board more than once lately. Just go away.

PostPosted: 03/27/24 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people think this kind of racial abuse is acceptable. When there was no physical violence, they think it was just some name-calling and should be protected by free speech. They think we should just put up with it. It's not okay. It's never okay.

It doesn't always make headlines, but here these racist men targeted a college team competing on the national stage.

I read that the FBI is involved in the investigation. Thank goodness it isn't left up to the local authorities. I don't know if the abuse rose to the level of a punishable crime (probably, given the report that the abuser returned for further harassment), but it's also up to us not to let this story die - to call out this kind of racial abuse and condemn it.

I support Coach Roberts and her team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/24 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Some people think this kind of racial abuse is acceptable. When there was no physical violence, they think it was just some name-calling and should be protected by free speech. They think we should just put up with it. It's not okay. It's never okay.

It doesn't always make headlines, but here these racist men targeted a college team competing on the national stage.

I read that the FBI is involved in the investigation. Thank goodness it isn't left up to the local authorities. I don't know if the abuse rose to the level of a punishable crime (probably, given the report that the abuser returned for further harassment), but it's also up to us not to let this story die - to call out this kind of racial abuse and condemn it.

I support Coach Roberts and her team.

Thank goodness the FBI is involved. Under J. Edgar it probably wouldn't have been since he was as racist as the people throwing the insults and whatever else they were throwing.

I also support Coach Roberts and her team.

PostPosted: 03/27/24 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having been to Spokane a number of times, I wondered why the teams had been put up in CdA. There are a ton of hotel rooms in Spokane, and Spokane regularly hosts big sporting events. The issue was an enormous volleyball tournament that weekend, with some 800 teams. Spokane also hosted men’s basketball first and second round, but that’s a drop in the bucket compared to those 800 girl’s volleyball teams.

One might argue that Gonzaga had weeks rather than 4 days to prepare hotel rooms, given that the committee had them in the top 16 prior to the bracket release, but looking at the web site for the volleyball tournament, they started booking hotel rooms last October. Reading the Spokane newspaper, Spokane would give up hosting the men’s tournament before they would give up the volleyball tournament, because the volleyball tournament brings in a lot more money.

Spokane will host the women’s regional next year.

Utah and UC Irvine were moved into hotel rooms vacated by teams who lost in the first round of the men’s tournament.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/24 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:

Spokane will host the women’s regional next year.

They need to have local rooms booked for all 8 teams to host the regional. If they can't accommodate them for whatever reason, then they shouldn't host.

If they can't accommodate 4 teams the previous weekend they shouldn't host then either. If the girls' volleyball tournament is more important, that's fine - then they simply shouldn't host. It's not rocket science.

But I'm assuming this issue won't come up in the future. And I'm assuming Gonzaga didn't think it would be a problem. Their team is as ethnically diverse as most. It's unfortunate, and the main thing is to prevent it from occurring again there or anywhere else.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/27/24 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
....an enormous volleyball tournament that weekend, with some 800 teams.

800 volleyball teams???? Shocked For how long does a tourney like that LAST? I mean, how can 800 teams all get to play???

PostPosted: 03/27/24 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea how 800 teams work, logistically. I got that number from this story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/mar/26/why-did-utah-womens-basketball-have-to-stay-in-ida/

The website for the volleyball tournament is here: https://www.pacificnwqualifier.org/

I do know that youth travel sports has become big business, whether it’s basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, or soccer. There are tournaments like this all over the place every weekend.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/28/24 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Volleyball is the dominant girls' sport right now. That's 800 teams from all over the country during school (for the most part).

If anyone wonders why the draft has been weak lately, there's your answer ...

PostPosted: 03/28/24 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Volleyball is the dominant girls' sport right now. That's 800 teams from all over the country during school (for the most part).

If anyone wonders why the draft has been weak lately, there's your answer ...

Ummm, what draft has been "weak" recently? Certainly not the upcoming one.

PostPosted: 03/28/24 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently police have at least one video of the incident. Also sending someone to Utah to talk with team members. Hopefully those who verbally assaulted the team will be identified: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/police-have-video-related-to-racial-harassment-of-utah-team-in-idaho/

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/28/24 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

Not my favorite-ever post in the history of this website.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/04/24 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
elsie wrote:

Not my favorite-ever post in the history of this website.

Hey Elsie ("where is the web cams?"), apparently the police have collected the "web cams" you were curious about, and said footage appears to confirm the use of racial slurs. I'm only pointing this out to you now, since your question was asked in such obvious good faith, and thus deserved an answer...

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39873588/police-say-racial-slur-audible-utah-women-basketball-team

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/24 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think "elsie" left since s/he was exposed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: