Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/15/23 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
https://beyondthew.com/wnba-expansion-if-it-is-denver-vs-charlotte-for-team-no-14-advantage-queen-city/

Charlotte Queen Bees?

If that's the case, I don't care, NO WE ARE NOT GIVING THEM BETNIJAH

PostPosted: 11/16/23 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
https://t.co/m5kusbJlvj

Thanks for posting story. I read it yesterday and clearly Howard has some league sources:)

Interesting take that Adam Silver would “get credit” for Golden State coming to fruition. I’m sure he made a phone call or 5, but as an outsider this expansion is all about timing and very much to Cathy’s credit. I’ve also heard she’s been impressive around the league offices and is rumored to be next in line for Silver’s job potentially. Imagine it’s um, rather political over there…

I’m choosing to be optimistic about Denver and Charlotte. If Cathy is being cautious, that’s fine. Sticking to the $50M fees and top tier arena access/readiness all sound good to me - I imagine there was some friction with the potential Portland group on a number of items (as reported) and it just didn’t pan out. IMO, Toronto would be great in the next round as well but that will be dependent on charter flights AKA the new media rights deal.

Can we just call it a day and revive the Comets?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! BRING BACK THE COMETS!!!

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/17/23 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
PRballer wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Thanks for posting story. I read it yesterday and clearly Howard has some league sources:)

Interesting take that Adam Silver would “get credit” for Golden State coming to fruition. I’m sure he made a phone call or 5, but as an outsider this expansion is all about timing and very much to Cathy’s credit. I’ve also heard she’s been impressive around the league offices and is rumored to be next in line for Silver’s job potentially. Imagine it’s um, rather political over there…

I’m choosing to be optimistic about Denver and Charlotte. If Cathy is being cautious, that’s fine. Sticking to the $50M fees and top tier arena access/readiness all sound good to me - I imagine there was some friction with the potential Portland group on a number of items (as reported) and it just didn’t pan out. IMO, Toronto would be great in the next round as well but that will be dependent on charter flights AKA the new media rights deal.

At $50 mil, it would have to be a special kind of ownership group to take up the challenge. No more fly by nights.
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/21/23 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
PRballer wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

At $50 mil, it would have to be a special kind of ownership group to take up the challenge. No more fly by nights.

Tillman would be the right owner. And I have to wonder---could he get it for less than $50 million since it would be a reactivation and reinstalling the stats and history of the Comets? Perhaps?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 11/22/23 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has been reported that former Liberty owner James Dolan has resigned from NBA BOG committees amid growing tensions with the NBA and Adam Silver. He has been critical of the league and commissioner. Apparently, he was the lone dissenting vote against the WNBA expansion to San Francisco.

What a big baby!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38951994/knicks-owner-james-dolan-resigns-nba-board-committee-positions

tfan

PostPosted: 11/22/23 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
It has been reported that former Liberty owner James Dolan has resigned from NBA BOG committees amid growing tensions with the NBA and Adam Silver. He has been critical of the league and commissioner. Apparently, he was the lone dissenting vote against the WNBA expansion to San Francisco.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38951994/knicks-owner-james-dolan-resigns-nba-board-committee-positions

Quote:
In a court filing Monday, the Knicks said they're seeking more than $10 million in damages from the Raptors as part of a lawsuit alleging the theft of thousands of confidential files, and argued that Silver shouldn't arbitrate the dispute in part because of his close relationship with Raptors governor Larry Tanenbaum.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 11/22/23 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So did the NBA BOG vote to expand to San Francisco have to be unanimous?

PostPosted: 11/25/23 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
So did the NBA BOG vote to expand to San Francisco have to be unanimous?

Nothing really is ever required to be unanimous. I've never heard of any requirements in any of the sports to be anything other than majority or 3/4 majority. Dolan quit the BOG over his fight with Toronto and Adam Silver.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/24 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

City of Pittsburgh exploring supporting professional basketball team

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/city-pittsburgh-exploring-supporting-professional-basketball-team/HW2J5S6W2RDXJPRJ3Y23NXPJTA/

Quote:
The study would look at the demand for an NBA or WNBA team in Pittsburgh

PostPosted: 02/15/24 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
City of Pittsburgh exploring supporting professional basketball team

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/city-pittsburgh-exploring-supporting-professional-basketball-team/HW2J5S6W2RDXJPRJ3Y23NXPJTA/

Quote:
The study would look at the demand for an NBA or WNBA team in Pittsburgh

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: 03/04/24 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toronto might be back in play: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/larry-tanenbaum-pursuing-wnba-expansion-team-for-toronto-1.7132863

PostPosted: 03/05/24 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Toronto might be back in play: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/larry-tanenbaum-pursuing-wnba-expansion-team-for-toronto-1.7132863

This actually seems real. Someone with serious money and a credible plan, as opposed to hopes and dreams.

Fourteen teams in 2025 might just be possible.

PostPosted: 03/05/24 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing! ESPN has yet to report/corroborate which is interesting- makes me think the timing of the story hitting in Canada was tough with their coverage schedules on WCBB and preparing for the tournament. Nothing get from Voepel or Phillipou, but the reporter at CBC is very legit…May is coming soon!

Shades

PostPosted: 03/05/24 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the popularity of women’s basketball on the rise, it could lead to more billionaires wanting an expansion team for their portfolios. More teams lead to more interest nationwide. More interest leads to ESPN finally paying a decent price for broadcast rights. That in turn should lead to higher player salaries. The snowball seems to be rolling.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/05/24 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, if this actually happens then Cathy got 2 big time markets with insanely rich owners and top notch arenas to join the league. She clearly has a vision for what expansion should look like and what teams should look like. I wonder when pressure mounts on some of the smaller independent owned teams like Dallas and Atlanta.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/06/24 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Man, if this actually happens then Cathy got 2 big time markets with insanely rich owners and top notch arenas to join the league. She clearly has a vision for what expansion should look like and what teams should look like. I wonder when pressure mounts on some of the smaller independent owned teams like Dallas and Atlanta.

Just note that Cathy has little to do with it. She merely echoes what the owners want and decide.

PostPosted: 03/08/24 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay I would respectfully argue she has a lot to do with it. She’s representing the league, negotiating the franchise fee (and responsible for securing it), and oversees the approval process with the other owners, arena/facilities evaluating, and ultimately is responsible for the overall health of the WNBA. Adding two key franchises right now, under her watch, is very much going to help define her tenure…

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/08/24 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Clay I would respectfully argue she has a lot to do with it. She’s representing the league, negotiating the franchise fee (and responsible for securing it), and oversees the approval process with the other owners, arena/facilities evaluating, and ultimately is responsible for the overall health of the WNBA. Adding two key franchises right now, under her watch, is very much going to help define her tenure…

And even if Clay sees her as a mere puppet to do the bidding of the league owners, she still has to convince them on these things, so even if she isn’t the final say on anything, she is ultimately still the facilitator to get these deals done.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/21/24 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
PRballer wrote:

And even if Clay sees her as a mere puppet to do the bidding of the league owners, she still has to convince them on these things, so even if she isn’t the final say on anything, she is ultimately still the facilitator to get these deals done.

+1 Keep trucking Cathy ...we see you

PostPosted: 04/16/24 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another article on expansion:

Quote:
NEW YORK -- WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert is "pretty confident" the league will expand to 16 teams by 2028 and that the goal is to bring in a 14th team for 2026, she told reporters Monday.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39951099/wnba-engelbert-confident-expansion-16-teams-possible-2028

PostPosted: 04/16/24 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bay Area Breeze is actually kind of cute if its true... Razz

PostPosted: 04/16/24 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

That sounds like air freshener, laundry detergent or a cocktail. I think the team will keep the "Golden State" moniker.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/16/24 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

That sounds like air freshener, laundry detergent or a cocktail. I think the team will keep the "Golden State" moniker.

Imagine how i felt when we knew it would be the "Dallas Wings" Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/17/24 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what impact the success of the draft will have on fast tracking the 14th team. Clearly they have been close with a few potential groups. Maybe this will be enough to get the 14th over the jump. Hopefully the Toronto team will get approved. Then we can focus on getting the next two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: