RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Louisville vs #4 Notre Dame - 3/08/24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/08/24 10:56 am    ::: #5 Louisville vs #4 Notre Dame - 3/08/24 Reply Reply with quote

ACC Tournament - Quarterfinal
Greensboro, NC - 11:00 AM ET

TV: ACC Network (Pam Ward, Kelly Gramlich)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/ (tvpli)

Audio:
https://www.fightingirish.com/radio

Live stats:
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/central.php?gid=acc

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/24 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irish won the first half with great defense. Louisville turning the ball over and shooting 21%. Rebounds are keeping them within striking distance. That and poor shooting by Notre Dame. Hannah 1/8 but at least she's getting to the line. Citron started off hot but has cooled down a bit.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/24 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hang on ND!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/24 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a terrible, terrible call on Watson's 5th foul. Should have been a turnover on Louisville.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im still perplexed as to how UCONN is ranked ahead and a higher seed than this Notre dame team . They drilled them in storrs by 15 , beat VT , Tennessee, Louisville multiple times , meanwhile UCONN's best win of the season is still Louisville who's about to lose in the quarterfinals to guess who ? ND .

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The call that resulted in Walz's first technical was BS (although not worth going onto the court). For his second technical, he didn't have anything to complain about. For most of the 2nd half, the refs were practically trying to give UL the game. Watson's last 2 fouls (if her 4th foul was real, she should have had an "and one" on her previous basket). I was not sad to see him ejected.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was it Walz that got teched?

I'm at work and was following on Gamecast.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Two techs at two different times. Ejected.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Yes, twice, and ejected. The first one was after Bransford (I think) took the ball to take it out after a basket, but then dropped it and ran onto the court so that another player could take it out, but that should have been a turnover.

The second one, I don't know what he was upset about. There wasn't a foul. It was a turnover.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Both techs were called on Walz.

The first was an obvious missed called that should have been a turnover on ND. It was a screwed up inbounds play. KK stepped out of bounds under the basket after a made Cardinals' basket. Then she decided to let a different player throw the ball in and actually turned over the ball. There was no pressure by Louisville or anything. KK just screwed up. Refs missed the call and Walz ran on the court and perhaps used some spicy language.

The second was on a non-call when Curry was driving. The replay was somewhat obscured but didn't show anything. Walz went off and got T'd up. At that point Notre Dame had the game in hand, so it wasn't very impactful.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/24 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Yes, twice, and ejected. The first one was after Bransford (I think) took the ball to take it out after a basket, but then dropped it and ran onto the court so that another player could take it out, but that should have been a turnover.

The second one, I don't know what he was upset about. There wasn't a foul. It was a turnover.

Are you saying a turnover on KK? Why?

And I don't think he needs a reason to be a jerk

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/09/24 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've watched that inbounds play several times. I think it's clear that she was leaving the ball for Soni to inbounds.

She didn't so much pass the ball as she dropped the ball. The rules that I found all referred to passing the ball inbounds.

It's a gray area IMO. It's not a call that the ref was going to change after he let it go, so there is no reason to lose your shit over it.

Walz would have been better to wait until the ref was in front of him and said "Hey, that looked like a violation to me, can you keep an eye on it." Gets his message across and doesn't get a tech that eventually leads to him getting tossed.

And hopefully KK got a lesson on taking the ball out after that. It worked out beautifully this time, but I have a feeling that emails went out to all refs about the situation and to keep an eye out for it.

Oh, and it would have been Soni's TO. She's the one that went out of bounds with it after it had been on the court.

Something else I noticed is that the ref starts to make a motion for a count of one, then abruptly stops it while the exchange is being made. He brings his right arm across his chest and before he gets it extended for the count, he then holds it close to his body. Instead of extending his arm, he gets to about a half count and then brings his hand up to his shoulder. There is a pause with his arm and then after Soni gets the ball out of bounds, he restarts his count. This is a more sweeping arm motion that extends his arm straight out from his body.

Having said all of that, I have a feeling that if Soni had taken the ball and raced up-court with it, the ref would have called it back and made them take it out cleanly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: