RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Surging Attendance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/03/24 6:36 pm    ::: Surging Attendance Reply Reply with quote

I hope that it’s not a mirage. Attendance seems to be surging and it’s more than Iowa.

South Carolina hit 18k today.

LSU at 13k

IU at 12k

Iowa about hit 15k

Texas at 10k

Colorado at 7.5k

Just cherry picking a few and it just feels like we’ve seen a rise.

PostPosted: 03/04/24 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with this: South Carolina has been a long-standing attendance leader for WBB, having led WCBB in average attendance every season beginning with the 2014-15 season, I believe. I am a bit hesitant on that due to the 2020-21 Covid season when the NCAA imposed a maximum attendance of 3,500 per game for all programs that were well below what the Gamecocks would normally muster. Don't know about that season.

But the Gamecocks led the nation last season with an average of 12,942 per game, for a team that was the defending national champions and led by veteran stars who have been leaders for the program since their freshmen seasons, and who took the team through an undefeated regular season and start-to-finish #1 ranking. The fans surely knew what to expect from that squad.

This season, we have a team with a totally new starting cast, and who were not expected to have a huge season this season by most all pundits. The Gamecocks are setting a program record average attendance of 16,489 per game, which will fall just short of breaking the all-time NCAA WCBB record set by Tennessee in 1998-99 of 16,565 per game.

This season the Gamecocks surpassed 200,000 total attendance for home games in a season for the 4th time in its program history: it's total attendance of 247,331 surpassed the 2015-16 program record of 244,196. Tennessee's program leads the way in that category with five (5) 200,000 total attendance seasons, but its last such season took place in 2007-08.

Last season both South Carolina (220,010) and Iowa (200,569) set WCBB history with as many as two programs breaking the 200,000 total attendance barrier in the same season. This season, we've done it again, with Iowa bringing in 209,972 in total attendance.

These are just two programs, but they do indicate an up-rise in total attendance in WCBB.....

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/05/24 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would seem to me that overall attendance in a full conference would paint a better picture.

Winning teams always draw; how about the losing teams in the SEC or Big 12?

And what about the midmajor conferences? When I watch those games on TV, it looks like a high school game -- friends and family.

But I certainly could be wrong. I just think the outliers don't tell the whole story.

PostPosted: 03/05/24 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UGA - LSU game 2/29/24 had 7,400 spectators - the most at UGA since 2012.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3-rFfjuXLL/

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/07/24 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:

But we should point out that if they hadn't have given out Stanley Cups to students at every break, the roughly 3,000 students wouldn't be there. The students do not show up for the games. At best we see 100 students at the game. I don't think the PT Barnum nature of LSU would have increased the student attendance to more than 250.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/07/24 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
SPD wrote:

But we should point out that if they hadn't have given out Stanley Cups to students at every break, the roughly 3,000 students wouldn't be there. The students do not show up for the games. At best we see 100 students at the game. I don't think the PT Barnum nature of LSU would have increased the student attendance to more than 250.

This is a key point. In general, students go to the men's games, not the women's game. And the female students do not support female athletes, in general, in any significant amount.

PostPosted: 03/07/24 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
SPD wrote:

This is a key point. In general, students go to the men's games, not the women's game. And the female students do not support female athletes, in general, in any significant amount.

Maybe in general. Not at some places. Tennessee has always had a HUGE turnout, and in some years (not recently, to be sure, since the advent of Rick Barnes on the men's side) the women's turnout has exceeded the men's. During the Summitt years, there were times it definitely did, including on the student side. Likewise at Texas during Jody Conradt's tenure. It depends on the teams and the coaches. Don't paint with such a borad brush.

PostPosted: 03/08/24 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the phrase "in general" allows for outliers ...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: