RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 Final Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/24 1:09 am    ::: Pac-12 Final Season Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 women’s basketball power rankings: OSU on fire as Oregon extends its losing streak

In 2019 Oregon was in the Final Four. Oregon got 5 of the top 25 2019-2020 high school recruits. 4 years later none of those players are on the team and they are tied for last place in the Pac-12. What happened?

osubeavers

PostPosted: 02/14/24 2:27 am    ::: Re: Pac-12 Final Season Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Pac-12 women’s basketball power rankings: OSU on fire as Oregon extends its losing streak

In 2019 Oregon was in the Final Four. Oregon got 5 of the top 25 2019-2020 high school recruits. 4 years later none of those players are on the team and they are tied for last place in the Pac-12. What happened?

Hard to figure isn’t it?
I’m not sure Kelly’s ever recovered from Sabrina‘s senior season being truncated prior to the NCAA tournament. They had a good shot at a national championship that year. Graves has always seemed a little bitter since then

Why all of that highly regarded talent has chosen to fly the coop is anybody’s guess. But none of the likely reasons bode well for the head coach who recruited it.

PostPosted: 02/27/24 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://tucson.com/sports/college/basketball/wildcats/women/kailyn-gilbert-arizona-wildcats-basketball-roster-2024/article_e9729426-d4fb-11ee-85f6-537154fc07fc.html

Quote:
Arizona leading scorer Kailyn Gilbert, who has either missed or played sparingly in six of the Wildcats' last nine games, is no longer part of the UA women's basketball team.

Arizona coach Adia Barnes told host David Kelly on 1290-AM Monday that Gilbert is no longer with her program; Barnes later confirmed the news to the Star, saying that "making tough decisions is part of leadership and I had to do what was what is best for the team."

Arizona now has eight active players on its roster.

What is up with that program??

Shades

PostPosted: 02/27/24 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

What is up with that program??

They just beat Stanford on Friday. That’s what’s up.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
elsie

PostPosted: 02/28/24 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a coach can gather lots of "top" players thru prestige, or money, or facilities, or money but players want to play....only 5 can play at one time...that means a lot of "top" players will be sitting and they don't like that....

on facebook its laughable....they mostly want the coach fired, and some suggest they just need to spend more money to get the program back....lol.....money, money, money......

elsie

PostPosted: 02/28/24 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a coach can gather lots of "top" players thru prestige, or money, or facilities, or money but players want to play....only 5 can play at one time...that means a lot of "top" players will be sitting and they don't like that....

on facebook its laughable....they mostly want the coach fired, and some suggest they just need to spend more money to get the program back....lol.....money, money, money......

Howee

PostPosted: 02/28/24 10:02 pm    ::: Re: Pac-12 Final Season Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Why all of that highly regarded talent has chosen to fly the coop is anybody’s guess. But none of the likely reasons bode well for the head coach who recruited it.

Oregon has absolutely been The Poster Child for Highly-Ranked schools that have profusely *bled* talent. Jeff Walz might be a close second, but his season isn't all that abyssmal.

There are a lotta theories. For one thing, The Sabrina Years brought a ton of success which obviously draws the attention of high-ranking recruits. That first #1 class to come in (Parrish, PaoPao, Watson, Scherr, and Dugalic) WERE highly talented, but after Sabrina left, there was NEVER a true floor general that created a dynamic force to meld these players into anything but individual semi-stars. IMO, Sabrina really didn't NEED a coach by her junior year....she could handle it very nicely on her own. Not one of the newbies came anywhere near close to that.

Now, you have a small collection of Wannabe Stars on a NOT-Overly Winning club. And the injury bug hits. Dugalic, Prince, Sabally #2, even PaoPao for a while. All this time, the Portal starts beaming brightly with neon lights. I get why these kids were drawn to other programs - closer to home, better prospects for successful team records, etc. I never once heard Kelly disparage these kids; in fact, he lauded them all as hard-working kids who deserved success.

And there's another point: Kelly himself. Maybe some think his head should roll, but I've heard him laugh at that during such questions at post-game pressers. He recently pointed out that their "Gold Standard" years were with him at the helm. I believe another feature about Kelly is that he's NOT an in-your-face, jack you up kind of a coach. If that's what you need to grow as a player, Oregon might not be for you. I see that as a positive in him: he's ALWAYS positive about the kids. I've never once heard him throw anybody under the bus. Coaching styles will vary, and - like him or not - he HAS had significant success in 2 strong programs.

As per my signature line, Oregon will be fine. Between the portal and injury factors, it's been a low year, but he's got some talent already, and some more coming in, even before portal options are open.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a shame hat sch a long & storied conference is being dismantled. Makes me sad. Confused

PostPosted: 02/29/24 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Me too, even though their selfishness makes it impossible for me to get any of their WBB games unless they're playing Tennessee or somebody.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: