RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

More Caitlin Clark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/10/24 8:52 am    ::: More Caitlin Clark Reply Reply with quote

USA Today says that Purdue still has a few tickets remaining, but I saw yesterday that tonight's Purdue game is also a sell out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/bigten/2024/01/10/caitlin-clark-iowa-road-games-ticket-cost/72152732007/

https://purduesports.com/news/2024/1/9/womens-basketball-purdue-hosts-3-iowa-at-sold-out-mackey-arena

Edit: I changed the title.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 02/06/24 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/26/24 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More on Clark's impact.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2024/01/26/how-much-caitlin-clark-fans-pay/72312148007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/06/24 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I think that’s one of the privileges of being in the position that I am is I get to be a role model and our whole entire team gets to be role models," she says. "People look up to us – young girls, young boys, no matter who they are and I think the thing I would just say to them is the same thing I’ve said all my career is just dream big."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/02/06/caitlin-clark-iowa-relatable-young-fans/72486694007/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/13/24 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another update on how much it costs to see Iowa play this year.

Unreal!!!!!

Quote:
Tickets to see No. 4 Iowa host Michigan on Thursday night has an average purchase price of $387, which is the second-most expensive women's basketball game of all-time − college or WNBA − according to TickPick. But the average purchase price in the past week has been $521, showing how much the demand has risen as Clark nears the record.

The get-in price for the game is $426 as of Tuesday afternoon. On StubHub, courtside tickets could be purchased for $13,669 each with fees.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/13/24 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Unreal!!!!!

Quote:
Tickets to see No. 4 Iowa host Michigan on Thursday night has an average purchase price of $387, which is the second-most expensive women's basketball game of all-time − college or WNBA − according to TickPick. But the average purchase price in the past week has been $521, showing how much the demand has risen as Clark nears the record.

The get-in price for the game is $426 as of Tuesday afternoon. On StubHub, courtside tickets could be purchased for $13,669 each with fees.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Holeee Sheet - that's more than some people paid to get into the superbowl!

PostPosted: 02/14/24 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Unreal!!!!!

Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Holeee Sheet - that's more than some people paid to get into the superbowl!

That's just what StubHub is trying to get for the seats, right? They may not actually get that price, right?

Phil

PostPosted: 02/15/24 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Selling out all home games is not unprecedented but selling out away games is gobsmacking and I'm sure not just unprecedented but not even close. Credit accrues to all of Iowa although Clark plays the biggest role.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/16/24 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So at our game last night, I asked some dads and our AD (a former boys' basketball coach) to name an NCAA men's basketball player.

They couldn't.

The women's question didn't take a second to answer.

PostPosted: 02/17/24 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So at our game last night, I asked some dads and our AD (a former boys' basketball coach) to name an NCAA men's basketball player.

They couldn't.

Aidan Mahaney is in shambles. Also all the players that DLS has sent to college recently.

Your AD did not remember the player from his former school that plays for Cal Tech?
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/24 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They couldn't.

Aidan Mahaney is in shambles. Also all the players that DLS has sent to college recently.

Your AD did not remember the player from his former school that plays for Cal Tech?

What does this have to do with Caitlin Clark?
PS: I can name a whole bunch of male basketballl players, some from Tennessee and some from James Madison.

PostPosted: 02/17/24 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They couldn't.

PS: I can name a whole bunch of male basketballl players, some from Tennessee and some from James Madison.

I'd say that it's an example of how much attention Clark has brought to women's bball vs. all of the one-and-done's of men's bball.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/24 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They couldn't.

I'd say that it's an example of how much attention Clark has brought to women's bball vs. all of the one-and-done's of men's bball.

Okay, but I will say that both Rick Barnes at Tennessee and Mark Byington at JMU frown on those and keep their guys in school. Few one-and-dones in either place. For Barnes especially, this is a BFD since Tennessee is a big P5 school with a nationally ranked team.

PostPosted: 02/17/24 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They couldn't.

Okay, but I will say that both Rick Barnes at Tennessee and Mark Byington at JMU frown on those and keep their guys in school. Few one-and-dones in either place. For Barnes especially, this is a BFD since Tennessee is a big P5 school with a nationally ranked team.

There are a lot of men's players that stay 4 years, I'd say the vast majority of them stay. They're just not the ones that we hear of every night (except around here, Zach Eady.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/24 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They couldn't.

I'm going to assume that the female player they all named instantly was Clark, and the response presumably points out that the school Clay was at has a bunch of current and former MCBB alumni.

It's something I've noticed hanging out on Reddit in the general college basketball subreddit. There really *isn't* a single men's player with name recognition specifically for being good. Zach Edey at Purdue is the likely men's NPOY but is known as much for being yet another ridiculously tall Purdue player.

So I think it *is* a big deal that right now, against the momentum of more than a hundred years of the sport, against every stereotype and prejudice and disadvantage, the default college basketball player is a woman.

PostPosted: 02/20/24 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should she stay or should she go?? Brennan thinks she goes to the W. I think she stays at Iowa (unless it really serious with her and McCaffery. I think that would be the biggest thing to get her to leave).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2024/02/20/caitlin-clark-decision-iowa-wnba-olympics/72658842007/

snzuluz

PostPosted: 02/20/24 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark has stated several times that her goal in attending Iowa was to make it to a Final Four...she did that last year.

She has never indicated that winning a National Championship was her ultimate goal in attending Iowa...you need FIVE consistent scorers in double figures, play defense, and rebound in this day and age to win National Championships, and Iowa does not have that!

She has broken the NCAA scoring record (in fewer games than the top three) and is now moving toward breaking Woodard's AIAW record...she has done it in FOUR years not the * 5th year that is offered to her with Covid.

This year, she does not have a chance to catch the all time scorer in Women's or Men's Basketball not just the NCAA in Pearl Moore (who played in the AIAW era)...most if not all fans or current players have NO idea what or who the AIAW was unless you played at that time, which I did.Smile

It it is so neat to see that the top scorers (top 1-6 I believe) all did it in four years and not five...that was and still is the NCAA guideline (you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility)...Covid was unfortunate, but that is the unlucky part of these seniors' careers... when the NCAA Tourney was canceled, those athletes did not get a "do over" for March Madness, that year.

With Clark's very close friend Kate Martin (they both stated in a Big Ten three part series filmed while in Italy and Croatia that it is not important to be close to your teammates off of the court) is done and she has a chance to play in Indy as well as be close to her current boyfriend (who works in Indy) why stay another year, when Indy might not be the team to select first in '25. She is also close to home for friends and family to come to games.

Although the salary in the WNBA is poor, it is more than she will make staying at Iowa...she will have her current endorsements with others added and can play overseas for millions in the WBNA off season.

Lobo stated that making the Olympic Team coming right out of college was not an enjoyable experience for her. The veterans were not warm to her since she took the spot of another professional player and she got little to NO playing time. Other male college players have said the same thing...not sure making the 2024 Olympic Team is one of her priorities...Clark would be in her prime to do so in 2028 and for several Olympics past that.

Yes, she has a BIG adjustment to the WNBA as she plays no defense (nor does the Iowa team) but nor did the current #2-3 players in the NCAA records books. Having seen her twice in person this season, she is fun to watch and brings a "show" to the court.

Iowa's key point guard signee from Peoria, IL (Aaliyah Guyton) torn her ACL in December, so who knows if she will be ready for the 2024-2025...look at Olivia Miles from Notre Dame... and tore her's in March 2023, never playing this season.

It will be interesting if Bluder dips her toes in the transfer portal for next season...she is losing a lot whether Clark stays or not...they need a TRUE post player. Hannah is really a 4 and the two players (O'Grady and Goodman) off the bench are SLOW, do not rebound well at all, and have not really developed for being in the system for more than one year.

Iowa was a GREAT ride for Clark...time to move on with your life and career! Best part...she will GRADUATE on time!

Howee

PostPosted: 02/20/24 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Covid was unfortunate, but that is the unlucky part of these seniors' careers... when the NCAA Tourney was canceled, those athletes did not get a "do over" for March Madness, that year.

Don't remind me....THAT was the year Oregon was destined to take it all. Crying or Very sad

snzuluz wrote:
Iowa was a GREAT ride for Clark...time to move on with your life and career! Best part...she will GRADUATE on time!

I second that emotion: it's almost as if yet another year is doomed to be anti-climactic. But....I trust she is well-advised and will do what's best for her.

To Brennan's point in the article:
Quote:
The Summer Olympics start July 26 in Paris, and USA Basketball has a choice to make. Does it somehow make room somewhere on a stacked roster of the world’s greatest players on the most dominant sports team on earth for a 22-year-old college megastar?

My answer is a resounding YES: who does she replace? Easy. Taurasi. While I still see Diana as the (current) GOAT, she doesn't need one more gold medal. Razz Cool

PostPosted: 02/20/24 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Iowa's key point guard signee from Peoria, IL (Aaliyah Guyton) torn her ACL in December, so who knows if she will be ready for the 2024-2025...look at Olivia Miles from Notre Dame... and tore her's in March 2023, never playing this season.

It will be interesting if Bluder dips her toes in the transfer portal for next season...she is losing a lot whether Clark stays or not...they need a TRUE post player. Hannah is really a 4 and the two players (O'Grady and Goodman) off the bench are SLOW, do not rebound well at all, and have not really developed for being in the system for more than one year.

Iowa fans are all really sad for Guyton. She was the heir apparent to the starting PG role. Because of that injury I think it's more likely we would pursue a veteran PG/CG (someone like Molly Davis who had 1-2 years of eligibility when transferring) than a post in the portal.

I agree that Hannah is a 4 -- I'm hopeful 6'4'' Ava Heiden will make an impact as a freshman true post. She is supposed to be very good. That's another reason I wouldn't be crazy about pursuing a post in the portal. We already will have four true centers on the roster (five if you count Hannah).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: