RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Delle Donne sitting out 2024

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/07/24 9:10 pm    ::: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39480631/mystics-elena-delle-donne-stepping-away-basketball

Dang. I imagine Washington wasn’t able to find a trade for her. This stinks. I’d hate to see her retire.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/08/24 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed!

wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/09/24 10:06 am    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39480631/mystics-elena-delle-donne-stepping-away-basketball

Dang. I imagine Washington wasn’t able to find a trade for her. This stinks. I’d hate to see her retire.

Because they want too much for her. She is basically being held hostage.

PostPosted: 02/09/24 11:13 am    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:

I mean, no more than anyone else whose rights are held by a team. If Caitlin Clark gets drafted #1 in April is she then being 'held hostage' by Indiana because she has no WNBA option besides signing her four-year rookie scale contract? Delle Donne has the option to sign her core QO and get paid $241,984 this year. Unless the Mystics have mistreated her somehow, that's a pretty nice hostage situation.

PostPosted: 02/09/24 1:28 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

I mean, no more than anyone else whose rights are held by a team. If Caitlin Clark gets drafted #1 in April is she then being 'held hostage' by Indiana because she has no WNBA option besides signing her four-year rookie scale contract? Delle Donne has the option to sign her core QO and get paid $241,984 this year. Unless the Mystics have mistreated her somehow, that's a pretty nice hostage situation.

And it is somewhat confusing as to what EDD really wanted, or didn't like.

1) She can't stand Eric Thibault and/or some of her teammates; or

2) She just wants to win a title and believed the Mystics had no chance; or

3) She ad assurances from another team a deal would be done; or

4) Some of all of the above.

Regardless, no matter how much money she has, turning down a quarter of a million dollars for five months' work seems like a pretty extreme reaction.

PostPosted: 02/09/24 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodbye, EDD. Don't come back now.

PostPosted: 02/10/24 4:36 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Fixing it for you: SHE wanted too much for HERself. Silly Mystakes thought they could get more for her than they could get for Cloud. Not gonna happen.

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/11/24 7:27 am    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Fixing it for you: SHE wanted too much for HERself. Silly Mystakes thought they could get more for her than they could get for Cloud. Not gonna happen.

This is just my speculation but I believe if she was allowed to exercise her free agency she would have signed with Phoenix for less money like BG did last year. When the Mystics cored her, THEY put the high price tag on her which no one wants to pay.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, Delle Donne can still sign for whatver she likes. The supermax qualifying offer doesn't mean she has to be paid that. Can play for the vet minimum if she wants.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So she’s sitting out this season just to go through the same thing next season with a new CBA? DC can core her again right since she’s not competing?

PostPosted: 02/11/24 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate the core rule....I really believe players should just be UFA after their RFA period is done. But also this is a rule that the players agreed to and I have no issues with Washington taking advantage of it.

I just have no clue what went wrong in Washington for EDD to rather not play than to re-sign with them. They've paid her a lot over the years and she hasn't played a ton for them....you would think there would be some loyalty there.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:21 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

I mean, no more than anyone else whose rights are held by a team. If Caitlin Clark gets drafted #1 in April is she then being 'held hostage' by Indiana because she has no WNBA option besides signing her four-year rookie scale contract?

Uh, yeah?

I feel like I should add the disclaimer that I am philosophically opposed to the draft, but yeah.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:43 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

I mean, no more than anyone else whose rights are held by a team. If Caitlin Clark gets drafted #1 in April is she then being 'held hostage' by Indiana because she has no WNBA option besides signing her four-year rookie scale contract?

Uh, yeah?

I feel like I should add the disclaimer that I am philosophically opposed to the draft, but yeah.

Every American pro sports league has a draft. I understand that a draft takes away the free will of the individual to play where they want to play. But I assume that the draft is that mechanism that prevents the Super rich teams from having a competitive advantage over poor teams. The draft is also a mechanism to keep salaries low for the least experience players. A lot people view the draft and the overall structure of pro sports as a form of slavery the way they determine where and how much players can get paid. Every business in America there is a certain level greed and inequity that everyone has to deal with.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 4:38 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Uh, yeah?

Every American pro sports league has a draft. I understand that a draft takes away the free will of the individual to play where they want to play.

What does that have to do with what I said? I'm opposed to the draft in those leagues, too.

Quote:
But I assume that the draft is that mechanism that prevents the Super rich teams from having a competitive advantage over poor teams.

Fuck 'em. If you can't afford to play, you shouldn't play.

Quote:
The draft is also a mechanism to keep salaries low for the least experience players.

This feels like a solution in search of a problem. What's it to me if Cameron Brink can negotiate a seven-figure salary as a rookie? If somebody's willing to pay it, let 'em pay it. Establish a hard cap but eliminate max salaries. And abolish the draft. I feel like, if you do those three things, most of the problems will correct themselves.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/11/24 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I assume that the draft is that mechanism that prevents the Super rich teams from having a competitive advantage over poor teams.

If so, it does a poor job. Every US league, including the W, is dominated by super rich teams.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 6:22 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I assume that the draft is that mechanism that prevents the Super rich teams from having a competitive advantage over poor teams.

If so, it does a poor job. Every US league, including the W, is dominated by super rich teams.

Seriously. Like, when people don't realize that the Seattles of the world are the exceptions that prove the rule... and all it took to make Seattle an exception was two lousy pairs of consecutive Number One Overall picks, conveniently spaced a decade apart.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/11/24 6:32 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

Uh, yeah?

I'm fine with that too if they want to blow up the whole system and make it like most other sports leagues on the planet. But I feel like that's a separate argument. People hate the core designation like it's not part of the same framework as all this other stuff, from draft to restricted free agency to reserved/suspended rights to prioritization and everything else. It's just another piece of the system. Everyone uses what leverage they have.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 8:20 pm    ::: Re: Delle Donne sitting out 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Uh, yeah?

Every American pro sports league has a draft. I understand that a draft takes away the free will of the individual to play where they want to play.

What does that have to do with what I said? I'm opposed to the draft in those leagues, too.

Quote:
But I assume that the draft is that mechanism that prevents the Super rich teams from having a competitive advantage over poor teams.

Fuck 'em. If you can't afford to play, you shouldn't play.

Quote:
The draft is also a mechanism to keep salaries low for the least experience players.

This feels like a solution in search of a problem. What's it to me if Cameron Brink can negotiate a seven-figure salary as a rookie? If somebody's willing to pay it, let 'em pay it. Establish a hard cap but eliminate max salaries. And abolish the draft. I feel like, if you do those three things, most of the problems will correct themselves.

I don't disagree with any of your statements. I know that these financial mechanisms have been in place for decades. Change will take place when the athletes across all sports really unify and change the current financial paradigm that exists in USA pro sports leagues.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poke Chatman eventually gave in to the trade demand of "only to the Lynx" by Fowles. That happened on July 29th (2015). After throwing in a 2nd round pick in addition to Fowles, the Sky got Erika de Souza (from Atlanta in a 3-way trade).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: