RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conference Realignment 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 09/03/23 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post removed

ridor

PostPosted: 09/04/23 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I told my best friend who is a huge fan of Stanford Cardinal - that I never, never thought I'd see the day that Virginia Cavaliers will play Stanford in the same conference.

Then we cracked the jokes about seeing the headline "Cards beats Card 71-70" - we gotta think bit harder... when it comes to that.

SPD

PostPosted: 09/11/23 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The two remaining members of the PAC-12 are arguing that they should be the only legitimate voters for the PAC-12 future...

"The future of the Pac 12 should be controlled by the schools who stay, not those who go."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38380648/judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-prevent-pac-12-meeting

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/14/24 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One (hopeful) positive of conference realignment is greater access to games. There are two top 10 matchups today (Stanford-Colorado and UCLA-USC) and the ability to watch them is very limited. Meanwhile, we get two SEC games on ESPN with only one ranked team between them. Here's to better access for watching the best teams in the game more frequently.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/14/24 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
One (hopeful) positive of conference realignment is greater access to games.

that’s the only positive i can see with the Pac’s breakup. this conference was complete shit at promoting any sport that was relegated to the Pac-12 Networks, which was most sports including wbb – particularly as it relates to staggering game days & start times. 5 of 6 games today start at noon local time for example, so even if one did get P12N, one couldn’t possibly watch even some of the games individually since most are going on at the same time. nor should they all normally be scheduled on the same two days (Fridays & Sundays, with few exceptions). that’s not “growing the game” whatsoever. if anything, that could be seen as a move to keep the games hindered – y’know, if the Pac’s tv execs actually had any wherewithal about it, which of course they never did.

that said, i’m not looking forward to the idea of having to get subscriptions to the Big Ten Network and Peacock. personally gonna hold off on getting those for as long as i can. but at least people around the country will finally be able to access these schools' games if they so choose… and can afford to.

Michael

PostPosted: 01/14/24 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
One (hopeful) positive of conference realignment is greater access to games.

that’s the only positive i can see with the Pac’s breakup. this conference was complete shit at promoting any sport that was relegated to the Pac-12 Networks, which was most sports including wbb – particularly as it relates to staggering game days & start times. 5 of 6 games today start at noon local time for example, so even if one did get P12N, one couldn’t possibly watch even some of the games individually since most are going on at the same time. nor should they all normally be scheduled on the same two days (Fridays & Sundays, with few exceptions). that’s not “growing the game” whatsoever. if anything, that could be seen as a move to keep the games hindered – y’know, if the Pac’s tv execs actually had any wherewithal about it, which of course they never did.

that said, i’m not looking forward to the idea of having to get subscriptions to the Big Ten Network and Peacock. personally gonna hold off on getting those for as long as i can. but at least people around the country will finally be able to access these schools' games if they so choose… and can afford to.

If you live in Washington state as I thought you did, BTN will be on basic cable for free starting next football season.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
If you live in Washington state as I thought you did, BTN will be on basic cable for free starting next football season.

good to know, thank you!

Michael

PostPosted: 01/14/24 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Michael wrote:

good to know, thank you!

When the Big Ten network was created, they fought hard to be on basic cable on any carrier in any state they have a team. The BTN earns one dollar for every cable subscription per month in all those states. That is where a lot of our money comes from and why when USC and UCLA came knocking on our door as a package deal, we could not turn them away. Also that is why Stanford and Cal were non-starters for the BT, they added nothing to the pie, just two more mouths to feed. OU and Washington only get half shares because there are not enough people in those states to offset a full share.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
OU and Washington only get half shares because there are not enough people in those states to offset a full share.

That's just the B10 being greedy. Washington has more people than most B10 states and Oregon isn't the least populous B10 state.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michael wrote:
OU and Washington only get half shares because there are not enough people in those states to offset a full share.

That's just the B10 being greedy. Washington has more people than most B10 states and Oregon isn't the least populous B10 state.

Some of original 7 states maybe, not more than any of the additions. The Big Ten did not want OU and UW and had turned them down several times. They did not want to dismember the Pac12 completely. But once the 4 programs went to the Big 12 and OU and UW came back to the BT once again and offered to take half, they became a value. But every addition since the Big Ten Network came into being has added more money than their share would be paid out. You can call that greedy, which explains why the P12 no longer exists, but most would call it good financial management of the member schools.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten is on basic cable for most people around here, but Big Ten Plus is where they show most of the women’s games. And that’s extra, and it’s not cheap.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/24 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Some of original 7 states maybe, not more than any of the additions

Is Nebraska an addition? Washington has about four times its population and Oregon has more than double it. Is Maryland? Washington has considerably more people.

Also, one California school adds money, two in the same city not so much.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michael wrote:
Some of original 7 states maybe, not more than any of the additions

Is Nebraska an addition? Washington has about four times its population and Oregon has more than double it. Is Maryland? Washington has considerably more people.

Also, one California school adds money, two in the same city not so much.

Maryland added the tidewater area as "local" just as Rutgers got to add NYC. USC and UCLA were a package deal, take both or neither. Nebraska got in before the BTN came into being so I guess I had the timeline slightly wrong on that.

PostPosted: 01/14/24 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
The two remaining members of the PAC-12 are arguing that they should be the only legitimate voters for the PAC-12 future...

"The future of the Pac 12 should be controlled by the schools who stay, not those who go."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38380648/judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-prevent-pac-12-meeting

Be interesting to hear an argument against that logic. Unless the future includes the Pac-12 paying money to schools who are leaving/left.

Last edited by tfan on 01/15/24 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
wnbafan

PostPosted: 01/15/24 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Big Ten is on basic cable for most people around here, but Big Ten Plus is where they show most of the women’s games. And that’s extra, and it’s not cheap.

I get the school subscription 9.99/mth. I start it in November and cancel in February. So I'm paying $30-40/yr to see every game the Terps play.

I noticed this year that a lot more Terps games are on BTN or other sports station. I've used the B1G app for maybe 3-4 games so far.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

—Pac-2 [aka Oregon State + Wazzu] & MWC full-on merger highly unlikely
—Pac-2 poaching MWC, AAC, etc. would be likelier – however,
—Pac-2 ultimately want in on the ACC, and most importantly,
—Pac-2 ultimately optimistic about merging with aka getting into ACC
—Pac-2 simply waiting for the path they're lowkey envisioning to open up
—and it'll get closer to doing so when Clemson follows Florida State in taking similar legal action against the ACC
—yep, apparently that's still on
—could happen anytime between now and the next 3-4 weeks
(—then what?)
—everyone preparing for a few schools or more departing ACC throughout these next couple years
—would then induce ESPN to opt out of the extended portion (2027-2036) of current ACC media deal
—again, ESPN allegedly has until the end of Feb. 2025 to decide
—changes likely force remaining ACC schools to re-negotiate a new media deal for 2027 & beyond
—probably would still involve ESPN, maybe even exclusively so again, but not necessarily
—would this all fall under Conference Realignment 2.0? 3.0?
—not up to me to decide as far as i'm concerned
—i guess it could be, but who really cares
—touching grass on a regular basis is more important

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: