RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/27/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=4

South Carolina still unanimous

Stanford up to #3

NC State up to #5

North Carolina down to #24

Marquette and Princeton in
Oklahoma and Washington State out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3513



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/27/23 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette joining the poll this week really surprised me. I’m still not sure what to think of them this season as I feel like their schedule hasn’t exactly been tough.


singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1774
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/27/23 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa ahead of NC State and LSU ahead of Colorado makes no sense to me.

It's wild that there are 175 points that separate Notre Dame at 18 and Ole Miss at 19.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 15616
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/27/23 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing too shocking....it IS interesting to see Penn State getting some votes now; been a long time!



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=5

South Carolina still unanimous

NC State up to #3

Texas up to #5

Connecticut down to #17

Mississippi, Tennessee, Mississippi State, and Princeton out
Washington State, Creighton, Gonzaga, and Penn State in



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 8098
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=5

Connecticut down to #17



"UConn dropped to 17th in the Associated Press Top 25 women's basketball poll Monday, its worst ranking in 30 years.

"The last time the Huskies were ranked this low was the second poll of the 1993-94 season when they were 18th. The drop also ended a 357-week stretch of being ranked in the top 15, which was the second longest in the history of the poll, which dates to 1977 (Tennessee had 428 consecutive appearances)."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39041504/uconn-women-fall-no-17-worst-ranking-30-years-ap-poll
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 16333
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=5

Connecticut down to #17



"UConn dropped to 17th in the Associated Press Top 25 women's basketball poll Monday, its worst ranking in 30 years.

"The last time the Huskies were ranked this low was the second poll of the 1993-94 season when they were 18th. The drop also ended a 357-week stretch of being ranked in the top 15, which was the second longest in the history of the poll, which dates to 1977 (Tennessee had 428 consecutive appearances)."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39041504/uconn-women-fall-no-17-worst-ranking-30-years-ap-poll


No reason UConn should be ranked at this point. No other team would be.


snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 1189



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=5

Connecticut down to #17



"UConn dropped to 17th in the Associated Press Top 25 women's basketball poll Monday, its worst ranking in 30 years.

"The last time the Huskies were ranked this low was the second poll of the 1993-94 season when they were 18th. The drop also ended a 357-week stretch of being ranked in the top 15, which was the second longest in the history of the poll, which dates to 1977 (Tennessee had 428 consecutive appearances)."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39041504/uconn-women-fall-no-17-worst-ranking-30-years-ap-poll


No reason UConn should be ranked at this point. No other team would be.


me-ow


snlMINAJ



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 1189



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=5

Connecticut down to #17



"UConn dropped to 17th in the Associated Press Top 25 women's basketball poll Monday, its worst ranking in 30 years.

"The last time the Huskies were ranked this low was the second poll of the 1993-94 season when they were 18th. The drop also ended a 357-week stretch of being ranked in the top 15, which was the second longest in the history of the poll, which dates to 1977 (Tennessee had 428 consecutive appearances)."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39041504/uconn-women-fall-no-17-worst-ranking-30-years-ap-poll


No reason UConn should be ranked at this point. No other team would be.



unc is 5-3 and they're ranked. virginia tech is 5-2 and they're ranked.
but when UConn loses to unc next week they'll drop out


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 15616
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A big fat "YAY!" for Penn State....it's been a long time since they've been on that list. Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1774
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
No reason UConn should be ranked at this point. No other team would be.

unc is 5-3 and they're ranked. virginia tech is 5-2 and they're ranked.
but when UConn loses to unc next week they'll drop out

UConn's losses are to teams ranked 2, 3, and 5 this week, who constitute 50% of the unbeaten power 5 teams. They sure may drop out soon, but it's not unreasonable to be ranked 17th given the teams they've lost to.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3513



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea what UCONN should be ranked but it was weird to see Marquette just two spots behind them in the poll for now. Good to see Creighton ranked again. Marquette’s first two BE games are home against Creighton on 12/13 and at UCONN on 12/31.

Happy for Kieger with PSU joining the pool this week.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/04/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Happy for Kieger with PSU joining the pool this week.


Looks like it will be short lived



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 12443
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hate the way espn spins things as if UCONNs 3 losses were top 5 teams so it’s not so bad . Not one of those teams were top 5 other than UCLA when they met UCONN so using those losses diminishes the wins by teams who may or may not truly be top 5 or even top 10 teams outside of UCLA whom I think is the best team in the country .



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=6

South Carolina still unanimous

Kansas State up to #12

Creighton up to #20

Florida State down to #22

UNLV and Miami (FL) in
Washington State and Penn State out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1334



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How the hell is North Carolina still ranked and Washington's not?



_________________
Unspoken expectations are just premeditated resentments.
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1849
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
How the hell is North Carolina still ranked and Washington's not?


As to Washington, I guess the voters are waiting for a little bit more?? If it consoles, Washington hadn't even had ANY votes received prior to Sunday's win over Washington St., despite being 9-0 on the season. They now are essentially 26th in the nation, just one spot ahead of the Cougars, with 25 shiny new ranking points.

And here's the reason why: Washington is 1-0 against NET Q1&2 opponents, and is 1-0 against RPI Q1&2 opponents, after Sunday's win. They are 4-0 versus NET Q3 and RPI Q3 opponents, and 5-0 against NET and RPI Q4 opponents. In short, until their win over Washington State - a fierce traditional in-state rival - they hadn't played anybody yet.

Washington has the 250 SOS, and with a new win against a conference rival, that means their non-conference SOS is 310. I guess the voters looked at that, and said, "meh". The Huskies' best win prior to Sunday was a 55-50 win at home over 3-6 Montana State, with a NET ranking of 130....

As to UNC, I agree - they don't appear worthy of top25 ranking with 4 losses now. Especially since all 4 of those losses have come in their last 5 games, and include all of their top-rated opponents. I would say that despite their loss to Washington, Washington State still is deserving of top-25 ranking over UNC, but perhaps the voters 1) felt that Washington should be ranked above Washington State since they just beat them, and 2) that they do NOT think that Washington is top-25 worthy yet. So this allowed UNC to hang in there for at least one more week.....


singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1774
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I really hate the way espn spins things as if UCONNs 3 losses were top 5 teams so it’s not so bad . Not one of those teams were top 5 other than UCLA when they met UCONN so using those losses diminishes the wins by teams who may or may not truly be top 5 or even top 10 teams outside of UCLA whom I think is the best team in the country .

Yeah, NC State and Texas weren't top 5 when they played UConn, but "where are we now" is what matters more than "where were we then". Tennessee is a good example. What looked like a great win for Florida State then isn't as impressive now because of how Tennessee has fallen off.

If you want or care about mathematical metrics:
In NET, Texas is 4, UCLA 7, NC State 10
In Massey, Texas is 2, UCLA 3, NC State 5

Is UConn a top 10 team (currently)? No. Do they deserve to be ranked given their wins and their losses? I think so.


ThreeBall25



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2787



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
I really hate the way espn spins things as if UCONNs 3 losses were top 5 teams so it’s not so bad . Not one of those teams were top 5 other than UCLA when they met UCONN so using those losses diminishes the wins by teams who may or may not truly be top 5 or even top 10 teams outside of UCLA whom I think is the best team in the country .

Yeah, NC State and Texas weren't top 5 when they played UConn, but "where are we now" is what matters more than "where were we then". Tennessee is a good example. What looked like a great win for Florida State then isn't as impressive now because of how Tennessee has fallen off.

If you want or care about mathematical metrics:
In NET, Texas is 4, UCLA 7, NC State 10
In Massey, Texas is 2, UCLA 3, NC State 5

Is UConn a top 10 team (currently)? No. Do they deserve to be ranked given their wins and their losses? I think so.


All three are also undefeated, but I guess that doesn’t matter. Easier to blame ESPN because they obviously control the AP Poll with a handful of their employees being voters Rolling Eyes


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=7

South Carolina still unanimous

Virginia Tech up to #15

Marquette up to #18

Creighton down to #21

Washington and TCU in
UNLV and Miami (FL) out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/25/23 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=8

South Carolina still unanimous

Kansas State up to #11

TCU up to #23

Ohio State down to #17

West Virginia in
Washington out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/01/24 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=9

South Carolina still #1, but no longer unanimous

Colorado up to #5

Baylor up to #6

Texas down to #10

Syracuse in
North Carolina out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/08/24 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=10

South Carolina still #1

Iowa up to #3

Ohio State up to #17

Marquette down to #23

North Carolina and UNLV in
TCU and Syracuse out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 15616
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/24 2:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today's AP Poll is gonna be a hoot to predict, with all the upsets. At least S.Carolina will remain steady.

I haven't processed 7 games in one day for a long time. Fun to predict.
UCLA and Baylor must drop. Iowa moves to #2 and Colorado into the Top Four? Utes must drop a chunk, after losing 2 hearbreakers. Que sera.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 66700
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/24 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=11

South Carolina unanimous again

Iowa up to #2

Florida State up to #15

Baylor down to #12

Iowa State in
West Virginia out



_________________
Let us not deceive ourselves. Our educational institutions have proven to be no bastions of democracy.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin