RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Connecticut @ #10 Texas - 12/03/23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/23 2:58 am    ::: #11 Connecticut @ #10 Texas - 12/03/23 Reply Reply with quote

Jimmy V Women’s Classic
Austin TX - 3:00 PM ET

TV: ABC (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=b04f474e-d7d3-4f0e-a13f-22345012e6ef (tvpli)

Audio:
https://texassports.com/sports/2014/11/19/GEN_1119144623.aspx

Live stats:
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=tex

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/03/23 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 12/03/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Carol:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39021325/uconn-caroline-ducharme-sidelined-neck-spasms

Will her and Fudd ever play a full season? It isn’t looking likely.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Already a blowout less than three minutes into the game.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never seen such a dominant start against a UConn team. UHorn can't keep up a 100% FG, but the trend is obvious.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At some point this season Geno is going to have to replace Muhl as a starter. Her one strong point is her defense and today Harmon has 11 pts in 10 min. because Muhl is playing soft defense. Her 1st period stats are 2pts, 1 assist, 2 to's. Rolling Eyes

singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno loves Nika, so I don't foresee that happening.

Edwards with a great start. We need to keep going to her.

I see neither Brady nor our offensive sets are better despite a week of practice. Mad

singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah yes, more trash officiating on national tv. Fouls called for breathing Rolling Eyes It's pretty embarrassing.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aside from the lack of height and hops, this is the worst outside shooting team I've ever seen at UConn. Muhl is actually second best after Bueckers.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
At some point this season Geno is going to have to replace Muhl as a starter. Her one strong point is her defense and today Harmon has 11 pts in 10 min. because Muhl is playing soft defense. Her 1st period stats are 2pts, 1 assist, 2 to's. Rolling Eyes

came here to basically say the same -- please bench her in the second half just to even see how they look. Nika made Paige a non-factor in the first half.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot 54% and score 27 points in the half. If we could get a defensive rebound or hold on to the ball, maybe we'd have a chance.

I could say it's disappointing or embarrassing, but at the moment, this is just commonplace, so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different.

Still would love to know what we "work on" in practice; it surely isn't evident from watching the games.

Might be nothing more damning on a coach than when their team is less than the sum of its parts, which is how I feel about UConn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone play taps. At H1, UConn losing OR's 1 to 9, with an A/TO of 7/11, and with 15 fewer shots on goal.

Not that Brady has ever shown any sort of low post offense, but why is she usually five feet beyond the three point arc on offense? What's she supposed to do out there? Same question for DeBerry in the few minutes we ever see her. Aren't post players supposed to play primarily in the paint? Oh, I forgot, she must be part of UConn's torrid three-point attack.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to know how good Texas is, since neither UConn nor their schedule are very good, but Booker is special. Add her to the list of freshman that will/should be stars.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's this Moody Center in Austin? What happened to the Superdrum, where I used to watch the wittiest basketball coach in history, Abe Lemons, coach the Horns?
singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally had a little momentum, but Paige botched a layup that would have cut it to 8, followed by a score for Texas, turnover (shocking) for UConn, and 3 for Texas, and it was again out of hand.

More turnovers than field goals, at this point. Texas with 24 more shot attempts and 30 points off turnovers.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amusing how the announcers are trying to explain and rationalize away UConn's poor performance. It's simple: the players are far below the UConn norm in skill, both individually and teamwise, and they can't rebound well, pass well, control the ball well, or shoot well.

Next season likely will be worse, unless there are some miracle last minute recruits or portal transfers.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It's simple: the players are far below the UConn norm in skill, both individually and teamwise, and they can't rebound well, pass well, control the ball well, or shoot well.

This fails to mention that these are coaching failures, of recruiting, developing talent, and using the talent you have in productive ways.

I'm appreciating that we haven't folded and have showed more fight starting in the middle of the third quarter.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, that was a shit call.

PostPosted: 12/03/23 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've deservedly harped on the negatives, but some positives:
1) Edwards has been fantastic. Here's to hoping she carries this momentum forward.
2) We looked much better than I would have expected when Paige was on the bench.
3) Hopefully this will encourage Geno to play the freshman guards more.
4) For as anemic and stagnant as our offense has been often this season, we're shooting excellent percentages, and look more comfortable and confident here in the second half than I've seen since the Maryland game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A modestly interesting 4Q push by UConn when Geno got desperate enough to get brave enough to play Samuels and Shade, who are okay players.

UConn isn't yet dead, but they are slouching toward Bethlehem.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/03/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
We've deservedly harped on the negatives, but some positives:
1) Edwards has been fantastic. Here's to hoping she carries this momentum forward.
2) We looked much better than I would have expected when Paige was on the bench.
3) Hopefully this will encourage Geno to play the freshman guards more.
4) For as anemic and stagnant as our offense has been often this season, we're shooting excellent percentages, and look more comfortable and confident here in the second half than I've seen since the Maryland game.

Good job looking for positives. I no longer have the interest.

Edwards played very well given her lack of support. I'll say Samuels and Shade played pretty well in their limited minutes. Muhl shot 4-4 but was crappy in every other aspect of the game. No one else played well including Miss Buckets, who was unable to "take over" a la Clark or Harmon.

The team looked uncoached and incoherent on both offense and defense, but I'm not sure whether that's Geno's lack of control over this team or just incompetent player execution.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/03/23 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And again, UConn is following the same script as Louisiana Tech, then Tennessee. After all the NC's and dominating everybody for years, they keep getting to FF's for a few years but not winning the NC. Then they stop getting to FF's. This year will be two in a row not getting to the FF. If Geno does talk some posts into committing, they might make another FF, but usually the great players won't commit due to the team trajectory. For Tennessee, getting Candace Parker was the last hurrah and not getting Maya Moore was the nail in the coffin.

UConn cannot compete with the current roster, just like Duke couldn't beat S.Carolina with the current roster - except Duke will have all the pieces next year to compete with anyone.

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 12/03/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
And again, UConn is following the same script as Louisiana Tech, then Tennessee. After all the NC's and dominating everybody for years, they keep getting to FF's for a few years but not winning the NC. Then they stop getting to FF's. This year will be two in a row not getting to the FF. If Geno does talk some posts into committing, they might make another FF, but usually the great players won't commit due to the team trajectory. For Tennessee, getting Candace Parker was the last hurrah and not getting Maya Moore was the nail in the coffin.

UConn cannot compete with the current roster, just like Duke couldn't beat S.Carolina with the current roster - except Duke will have all the pieces next year to compete with anyone.

Louisiana Tech couldn't compete with P-5 budgets. Tenn's downfall was due to Summitts' health, which effected her recruiting and coaching.

UConn is still successfully recruiting elite players. Personally I think there are a lot more elite players today and better coaching. UConn's dominance raised the bar in wcbb and the rest of the country has responded. Booker is impressive.

It's also December 3.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 12/04/23 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

another attempt at positive outlook:

edwards, bueckers, muhl all come back 'in hopes' of a season-long healthy roster. el alfy and patterson are fully healed. fudd comes back at some point (and i have a better feeling of her recovery after seeing paiges recovery.

IF this were to happen, all you're losing is griffin and ducharme and adding i think a couple shooters.

now come March, all you need is a player or 2 to get hot, and paige is the type of player that COULD carry a team and a lot could happen between now and then, but i cannot imagine paige and aaliyah want to go out like the way the season is currently going.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 12/04/23 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the negative is that muhl got 38 minutes yesterday. had more TOs than assists, i think got scored on every single time her player took a shot and again she rendered paige ineffective.

muhl, IMO, got a big ego after her stats last season and she's fallen off in every single category this year.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/04/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Louisiana Tech couldn't compete with P-5 budgets. Tenn's downfall was due to Summitts' health, which effected her recruiting and coaching.

UConn is still successfully recruiting elite players. Personally I think there are a lot more elite players today and better coaching. UConn's dominance raised the bar in wcbb and the rest of the country has responded. Booker is impressive.

It's also December 3.

All three dynasties raised the bar, with UConn's being the longest lasting dynasty of the three. And, when a team beats a dynasty team, it raises their stature and ability to recruit elite players. It's certainly been the case at Duke. I know it's not easy when your time at the top of the mountain starts to end. I hope UConn continues to compete for the FF every year.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: