RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Aces vs. High School Boys Team for $1 Million?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/30/23 1:33 pm    ::: Aces vs. High School Boys Team for $1 Million? Reply Reply with quote

I don't know who he is, but a sports commentator named Clay Travis has offered to bet that: “A good, State champion caliber, high school boys team would smoke the best team in the WNBA”. Chelsea Gray called him a "dumbass" but didn't say whether she accepted the bet.

Clay Travis bets Chelsea Gray $1M that Aces would lose to high school boys basketball team

Quote:
Travis’s confidence in his proposition shines through, as he even suggested that this hypothetical matchup would become the “most watched WNBA game of all time.”
pilight

PostPosted: 10/30/23 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's a talk radio half wit. Not worth discussing.

PostPosted: 10/30/23 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the fuck would anyone entertain this shit for even a second? Why give this nitwit (pilight is generous in describing him as a halfwit) oxygen? Why give the idea oxygen? Why open up this can of "well actually"s and "yeah but"s? Why even entertain the notion of discussing the concept that this is the appropriate parallel?

PostPosted: 10/30/23 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree whole heartedly with you Queenie. Clay Travis is just NO.

Also, there is no win for the Aces if they took the challenge. If they win "Well, y'all are pros and supposed to be the best, you should beat a bunch of teenagers". If they lose "See, you can't even beat a bunch of boys". They are set up to fail, not least of which because Clay Travis started the idea.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/30/23 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Why . . . . Why . . . . Why . . . . Why . . . . Why . . .?

Because, though I don't listen to sports radio or watch sports TV, this was a headline on a WNBA sports blog written by a woman sportswriter.

Because this is the dead WNBA off season on RebKell.

(Why are you promoting censorship on a moribund discussion forum during that off season?)

Because I assume Travis's motivating point was to explain why the WNBA is of so little interest and success among sports fans in general. His implicit explanation seems to be that sports fans in general find the WNBA to be boring because the participants in it have mediocre and unexciting skills for the sport they are playing.

That is a reasonable point of view, in my opinion, even if there are other points of view.

Further, I think his prediction is valid. A top boy's high school team probably would smoke the Aces.

The multi-time World Cup, Olympic gold medal and CONCACAF champion U.S. women's national soccer team wasn't afraid to ask why, why, why, why, why play a U15 boy's high school team in a scrimmage. They actually played the game. And lost, 5-2.
adamj95

PostPosted: 10/30/23 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s simple really. When it comes to transgender athletes, people like Clay Travis like to come to the defense of female athletes and support banning transgender women from competing with cis women. But when it actually comes down to women athletes and NOT transgender athletes, their real views come out and it’s misogyny and lack of respect for all women athletes. Period.

PostPosted: 10/30/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More, I forgot:

Because I think Travis's prediction that it could be the most watched WNBA game of all time also could be true.

Because I vividly recall the two wildly successful "Battle of the Sexes" matches in tennis 50 years ago, when an aging Bobby Riggs played Margaret Court and then Billie Jean King. More than 30,000 people watched the Riggs-King match in person at the Houston Astrodome and more than 90,000 watched on worldwide TV. Some sources say this was the most watched TV sports event of all time.

Because sports is entertainment, and an Aces vs. boy's high school game could be very entertaining, even if not of Riggs-King dimension.
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/30/23 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My instinctive response to this would be a personal attack and therefore I am bowing out of the thread before I start screaming.

PostPosted: 10/30/23 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Also, there is no win for the Aces if they took the challenge. If they win "Well, y'all are pros and supposed to be the best, you should beat a bunch of teenagers". If they lose "See, you can't even beat a bunch of boys". They are set up to fail, not least of which because Clay Travis started the idea.

This is my take on it as well.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/30/23 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The multi-time World Cup, Olympic gold medal and CONCACAF champion U.S. women's national soccer team wasn't afraid to ask why, why, why, why, why play a U15 boy's high school team in a scrimmage. They actually played the game. And lost, 5-2.

All the people that want to bring up this example do they realize it's not just a group of random high school boys on this team, it's a professionally trained team that competes nationally and internationally as well as has players on the US National team. That's a lot different than picking a state championship team at random to compete against the WNBA champions.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/30/23 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Because, though I don't listen to sports radio or watch sports TV, this was a headline on a WNBA sports blog written by a woman sportswriter.

(Why are you promoting censorship on a moribund discussion forum during that off season?)

Because I assume Travis's motivating point was to explain why the WNBA is of so little interest and success among sports fans in general. His implicit explanation seems to be that sports fans in general find the WNBA to be boring because the participants in it have mediocre and unexciting skills for the sport they are playing.

That is a reasonable point of view, in my opinion, even if there are other points of view.

Further, I think his prediction is valid. A top boy's high school team probably would smoke the Aces.

Your first six words in this thread (I don't know who he is) seem to inform everything else that you've said here. You are extending Clay Travis a benefit of the doubt that his entire CV has proven that he is not entitled to. There is a zero percent chance that he presented this hypothetical in good faith, and there is no value added to this message board by taking his "challenge" seriously.

Like, I'm positive that you weren't the first person to see this topic online. The reason why you were the first person to post about it here is because anybody who knows anything about Clay Travis noped the fuck out, as soon as we saw that he had anything to do with it.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/30/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

All the people that want to bring up this example do they realize it's not just a group of random high school boys on this team, it's a professionally trained team that competes nationally and internationally as well as has players on the US National team. That's a lot different than picking a state championship team at random to compete against the WNBA champions.

Not to mention the fact that there's a greater than zero percent chance that any given state championship-caliber team has at least one future NBA player on their roster. It would be like taking a victory lap over the 2006 Detroit Shock losing an exhibition game to Lawrence North, out of Indianapolis, and then finding out that team had Greg Oden and Mike Conley on it.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/30/23 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Your first six words in this thread (I don't know who he is) seem to inform everything else that you've said here. You are extending Clay Travis a benefit of the doubt that his entire CV has proven that he is not entitled to. There is a zero percent chance that he presented this hypothetical in good faith, and there is no value added to this message board by taking his "challenge" seriously.

I don't know who he is either and I immediately dismissed this as the nonsense that it is. There's no way to make that kind of offer in good faith. It's based on a ridiculous premise.

PostPosted: 10/30/23 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't know who he is either and I immediately dismissed this as the nonsense that it is. There's no way to make that kind of offer in good faith. It's based on a ridiculous premise.

To add to that, the notion that "Well, there's not enough to talk about around here in the off-season, so why not?" is borderline insulting. There's a reason for the saying, "All money ain't good money."

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/31/23 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Agree whole heartedly with you Queenie. Clay Travis is just NO.

Notice that Clay Travis didn't offer to play a WNBA player to "prove" his point. At the very least, he realizes that any one of them would kick his ass-ets.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/31/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Like, I'm positive that you weren't the first person to see this topic online. The reason why you were the first person to post about it here is because anybody who knows anything about Clay Travis noped the fuck out, as soon as we saw that he had anything to do with it.

Yes indeed! I've seen it multiple times(there are even videos now) and chose not to engage less my head explode. It is an extension of the trolling the W gets constantly and I think they are pretty close to triple dog daring(because they are infants!) the W to take the bet. What is puzzling to me is why folks who don't like the league (or seeing women do anything outside of the kitchen or bedroom) don't simply move around. Why do they spend their time following and dogging things they don't like? No sane adult person could possibly be this obsessed and while all of the isms are quite pervasive and folks feel quite comfortable letting their "freak flags" fly, I'm still not convinced that most of these are not bots, tweens or nutjobs seeking to gain a greater foothold in the incel community. The fact that people build brands around attacking, being hateful and putting their mouths on things they don't know or supposedly care about is baffling to me. Also, it is not lost on me that tomfoolery like this has conveniently come on the heels of one of the most exciting and successful seasons of the W and a possible inflection point for the league.

ster II

PostPosted: 11/09/23 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a hard NO! Imagine being a pro and getting hurt in that game?!!!! A season-ending or Career-ending injury!! Big no! Not takin the chance of going down like That!!

Howee

PostPosted: 11/10/23 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
It’s simple really. When it comes to transgender athletes, people like Clay Travis like to come to the defense of female athletes and support banning transgender women from competing with cis women. But when it actually comes down to women athletes and NOT transgender athletes, their real views come out and it’s misogyny and lack of respect for all women athletes. Period.

Truth. Another thing you never hear these idiots propose is, say, a boxing match between Rey Vargas (featherweight) and Tyson Fury (heavyweight). I mean, they're both title-holding champion boxers. They're both MEN. Why not?? Should we respect Rey any less if he says "No!".

This kinda shit comes from idiots who want cheap publicity, fast. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/11/23 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sporta are about competition so there is always room for different divisions for competions. I have for some time preferred watching females play basketball as opposed to men. This is partially because i did not like the direction mens basketaball had taken. Womens basketball can be just as enteraining if not more so for many.

That said entertaining the idea of setting up a game between a high school team and one from the WNBA is purely agenda driven and would make no sense. I have found that there is a group of individuals that make a career or running down the WNBA not to bring clearity but to to just ridicule the game. They show bloopers, players missing easy shots, to prove their point. Although the same sort of bloopers could be shown for the NBA as well. It shows what their agenda really is.

However, a Womans team would have a very difficult go playing even a high school boys team. Skill aside, the differential in hieght and quickness is overwhelmingly in the boys favor. Quickness can mitigate hieght and visa versa, but when both height and quickness is only on one side that makes too much of a difference. Most high school teams have relatively quick players at least 6"8 or taller. They are many over 7' on high school teams. They would eat WNBA post players alive. Many high school teams have guards taller than most women post players. for example a player dunking a game is unusual, but on high school team almost the entire team can dunk. The WNBA can match them in outside shooting, but then they would still need to get their shots off over far taller and quicker players.

PostPosted: 11/14/23 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate that the video is popping up on my YouTube timeline. Just because I watch W stuff this kind of crap gets mixed in with my "Recommended for you" stuff.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/20/23 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This video has over a million views and 3,100 comments.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3tnmG0P9Zwo" title="WNBA Champions vs High School Boys!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Howee

PostPosted: 11/20/23 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

....which proves....? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/20/23 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/23 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What percentage of those comments are actually worth reading?

PostPosted: 11/21/23 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
What percentage of those comments are actually worth reading?

I wouldn't wager anything I'd lament being rid of that that number is even as high as one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: