RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NIL in women's basketball .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 06/17/23 7:12 am    ::: NIL in women's basketball . Reply Reply with quote

Some interesting quotes from the Utah coach on NIL . This is from an interview she did with a local news outlet , I think .

NIL
A big factor in roster retention, especially at the highest level of college basketball, is NIL money. It is the territory Utah has entered now as it tries to put together the pieces for a Final Four run.

Roberts believes that Utah’s NIL program is competitive with everyone in the Pac-12. There are some schools, like reigning champion LSU, that Utah probably can’t measure up with right now.

“I don’t think anyone’s on par with LSU,” Roberts said. “I’ve heard some stories that are just mind-blowing. But in terms of our conference, I think we’re fairly competitive. I think the SEC, south, it’s very, very different. It’s a different ballgame. And it’s a different set of integrity and, you know, code of ethics and all of that. They just do things differently.”

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/25/23 1:42 am    ::: Re: NIL in women's basketball . Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Some interesting quotes from the Utah coach on NIL . This is from an interview she did with a local news outlet , I think .

NIL
A big factor in roster retention, especially at the highest level of college basketball, is NIL money. It is the territory Utah has entered now as it tries to put together the pieces for a Final Four run.

Roberts believes that Utah’s NIL program is competitive with everyone in the Pac-12. There are some schools, like reigning champion LSU, that Utah probably can’t measure up with right now.

“I don’t think anyone’s on par with LSU,” Roberts said. “I’ve heard some stories that are just mind-blowing. But in terms of our conference, I think we’re fairly competitive. I think the SEC, south, it’s very, very different. It’s a different ballgame. And it’s a different set of integrity and, you know, code of ethics and all of that. They just do things differently.”

In other words if it looks unethical and smells unethical. It's UNETHICAL. $$$

PostPosted: 06/30/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooops...stay tuned for further developments...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/37939005/some-nonprofit-nil-collectives-not-qualify-tax-exempt

"A recent 12-page memo from the Internal Revenue Service determined that, in many cases, such collectives may not qualify as tax-exempt if their main purpose is paying players instead of supporting charitable works.

If the collectives aren't tax-exempt, the donations they collect that are used to pay quarterbacks, point guards and pitchers may not be, either."

""There's a high likelihood we will cease operations, within the next period of months," said Gary Marcinick, founder of the Cohesion Foundation, a collective formed to connect Ohio State athletes with charities for name, image and likeness (NIL) promotional deals. "In our space, we are donor driven. ... It's not only a game changer, it's a game ender, I think, in the vast majority of cases.""

elsie

PostPosted: 11/19/23 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

question for those who might know..is it true that NIL or other payments
to players is illegal for international players?

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/19/23 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
question for those who might know..is it true that NIL or other payments
to players is illegal for international players?

Yes, unless they have a work visa. Because they are currently on student visas there are rules about having jobs and making money. I don't know the specifics in terms of how the visas work. They are allowed to do camps, work with companies in there home countries as long as they follow the same rules.

I had read somewhere that some schools were trying to help student athletes that signed NLIs attain work visas before they come over, but don't know how that all works or if that's even possible.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/20/23 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happens to a player's NIL agreements if they walk off the team? Or if they have a career ending injury? Or flunk out of school? Or get kicked off the team for being a general all around Ahole? Asking for a friend who's wondering if she has to give the car back.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: