RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#20 Maryland @ #8 Connecticut - 11/16/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/16/23 4:20 am    ::: #20 Maryland @ #8 Connecticut - 11/16/23 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 6:30 PM ET
TV: FS1 (John Fanta, Christy Winters-Scott)

Video stream:
https://www.foxsports.com/live/ (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/feed/source/oas-1502?audioPlayer=uconn%3Aallaccess-Live-6243

Live stats:
https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=490071

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/16/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently Fudd will not play with a knee injury suffered during practice. Not sure how serious it is.......

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Apparently Fudd will not play with a knee injury suffered during practice. Not sure how serious it is.......

Unbelievable. She has been knee injury prone since the end of her soph year in high school.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn 14-11 at the 1Q. They are playing an interesting, aggressive defense, but still can't rebound worth spit and are missing far too many shots on offense. Saving grace is that UTerp is shooting even worse under the defensive pressure.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/16/23 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Unbelievable. She has been knee injury prone since the end of her soph year in high school.

It’s sad.

Qadence looks good again.

If Paige could like..restrain herself a bit so she doesn’t get hurt too….she’s making Muhl look reserved.

PostPosted: 11/16/23 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MD doesn't look like a good team. Tons of turnovers and fouls - CT's defense playing a role there, but MD doesn't look composed enough to handle the attrition. They shot poorly for the 1st period, then got off to a better shooting performance to start the 2nd qtr., and actually had the lead halfway through the 2nd qtr. But then CT got hot, and MD went ice cold again. CT leads 42-27 at the halftime stop......

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/16/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
MD doesn't look like a good team. Tons of turnovers and fouls - CT's defense playing a role there, but MD doesn't look composed enough to handle the attrition. They shot poorly for the 1st period, then got off to a better shooting performance to start the 2nd qtr., and actually had the lead halfway through the 2nd qtr. But then CT got hot, and MD went ice cold again. CT leads 42-27 at the halftime stop......

I agree, they have no chemistry. I hope they find it by January.

This is painful for me, I'm out.

PostPosted: 11/16/23 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ducharme is my very favorite player from among the set of players who can't: hit an outside shot, hit a layup, control her dribble, make an assist, get and hold a rebound, and play defense.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/23 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quite a good game from UConn, especially coming off their NCSt stinker.

I was glad to see KK Arnold hit a 3. I was beginning to think she didn't have one. This doesn't prove she does, but if she does, she is going to be a very, very good player.

Edwards is no beast on the boards. The team needs more than 4 rebounds from her. Griffin was a beast.

Brady finally showed a couple of shots, too. But she doesn't look 6-3 to me. Is no board beast either, and she seems to favor jump shots over post moves, of which she has yet to show.

Ashlynn Shade appears to have basketball smarts on offense, cutting and defense.

Bueckers was the only reliable streetball scorer. I also like the physical strength she exhibited on that flying arm-lock (tech foul) takedown on a much bigger Terp player. No more Olive Oyl.
Speebs56

PostPosted: 11/16/23 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I was glad to see KK Arnold hit a 3. I was beginning to think she didn't have one. This doesn't prove she does, but if she does, she is going to be a very, very good player.

Edwards is no beast on the boards. The team needs more than 4 rebounds from her. Griffin was a beast.

Brady finally showed a couple of shots, too. But she doesn't look 6-3 to me. Is no board beast either, and she seems to favor jump shots over post moves, of which she has yet to show.

Ashlynn Shade appears to have basketball smarts on offense, cutting and defense.

Bueckers was the only reliable streetball scorer. I also like the physical strength she exhibited on that flying arm-lock (tech foul) takedown on a much bigger Terp player. No more Olive Oyl.

No more Olive Oyl.You got that right! She was nuts tonight! Nice to see the defense after the mess v. NCSt.

Maybe Edwards needs to get her goggles back?

linkster

PostPosted: 11/16/23 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edwards had 9pts and 4 boards. They were lobbing passes to her and by the time she caught it 2 defenders had her sandwiched. UConn was much more successful with Brady and Edwards playing high/low post with the ball in Bueckers' hands.

They poked Bueckers in the eye and then jumped on her back and just pissed her off. 24pts on10-15 (1-1), 5 boards and 6 steals.

Muhl missed open players, passes early, passed late.

The bench had 29 points and Brady and Shade made their first 3's.

Last edited by linkster on 11/16/23 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/23 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Edwards had 9pts and 13 boards.

I think you misspoke. Edwards had 12 pts and 4 boards in the box scores I see.
linkster

PostPosted: 11/16/23 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Except for a few good runs UConn's offense sputtered all night

How did Maryland score 76 against SCar?

linkster

PostPosted: 11/16/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
Edwards had 9pts and 13 boards.

I think you misspoke. Edwards had 12 pts and 4 boards in the box scores I see.

fixed it. Griffin had 13.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/16/23 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers and Clark both had 24 points tonight, but Pistol Paige played MUCH better on both offense and defense. Paige shot 10-15, 2-3, 2-3 with 6S and 2B. Caitlin shot 9-32, 2-16, 4-5 with 0S and 0B.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/17/23 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

It was evident from the first two possessions, too. They were engaged and intent on competing, which never seemed to be the case in the NC State game. Even when Maryland took the lead, I had a much better feeling about this game.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

She's a stud. Calm and composed with the ball in her hands. She brings Nika's strengths, and does more (as) well. She and Paige were very comfortable with each other. Geno demonstrated some real trust in Arnold, too.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Edwards is no beast on the boards.

She's a true 4. It's a shame we don't have a center to pair her with (or at least another viable post to try and have 2 posts in the game regularly).

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Griffin was a beast. Ashlynn Shade appears to have basketball smarts on offense, cutting and defense. Brady finally showed a couple of shots, too.

Ditto, ditto, and yay! Shade's fundamentals were great to see. Like Arnold, didn't look like a freshman. It wasn't always pretty for Brady, but I could see the glimpses of what could make her quite good.

I've loved Ducharme from the start, but she will rightfully be glued to the bench if her play does not improve a lot. If only Geno could recruit and retain post talent in the way he can guards/wings.

I think our best lineup right now (when healthy) is Arnold, Fudd, Bueckers, Griffin, and Edwards, with Shade, Samuels, and Brady first off the bench.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 11/17/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ducharme is my very favorite player from among the set of players who can't: hit an outside shot, hit a layup, control her dribble, make an assist, get and hold a rebound, and play defense.

You forgot to include her traveling talents - she is always good for at least one of those a game.

I loved Shade’s activity offensively, defensively, and on the boards. She isn’t afraid to mix it up unlike clutzy Carol and fragile Fudd.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 11/17/23 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, by the end of the season, i see all 4 freshman playing lots more minutes than i anticipated... less for caroline less for azzi less for muhl.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/17/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I don't mean to be harsh, but a lot of Maryland's players looked wildly out of shape to me. That looked nothing like Maryland on offense, more like 2000's Rutgers with poor offense and rough, physical play.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/17/23 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

How did CT not score 114??? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: