someone else
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/23 7:38 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday poll time!

PostPosted: 09/05/23 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you believe the theory that the player who leads her team in scoring in the most wins should be MVP then it's a three person race of A'ja Wilson (14), Breanna Stewart (13), and Napheesa Collier (11), with Alyssa Thomas (4) tied for 15th.

In a poll of 50 players, Thomas was not a factor in the MVP choice: https://theathletic.com/4826856/2023/09/05/wnba-anonymous-poll-aja-wilson/

PostPosted: 09/05/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If you believe the theory that the player who leads her team in scoring in the most wins should be MVP then it's a three person race of A'ja Wilson (14), Breanna Stewart (13), and Napheesa Collier (11), with Alyssa Thomas (4) tied for 15th.

That's an actual theory that some people believe? It only looks at scoring, and skews things towards the top scorers who have a better supporting cast. Yes, maybe someone from that supporting cast will lead the team in scoring instead of the superstar every now and then, but the extra wins they produce for the usual top scorer would seem to me to be a lot more significant.

That said, it's pretty impressive that Napheesa is 3rd place according to a metric like this considering she's on a .500 team.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/06/23 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The leading scorer in the most wins thing is more of a predictive tool. I had a friend who swore it was the best predictor of NBA MVP voting and he was right a lot more than he was wrong.

Historically there's a lot of correlation. More than half the MVPs has led the season in lsiw. Only three of 26 have been outside the top five, two of which (2011 & 2013) were loudly criticized and are often noted as bad choices.

MVP is obviously the award winners from each season. lsiw rank is where the MVP winner ranked in that metric. Most lsiw is who led their team in scoring in the most wins that season. MVP rank is where the lsiw leader finished in MVP voting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: