RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Steve Nash...NBA's 2004-05 League MVP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 05/06/05 3:58 pm    ::: Steve Nash...NBA's 2004-05 League MVP Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash will be named the NBA's Most Valuable Player on Sunday, edging out Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, ESPN reported Friday.

Nash thus will become the third point guard in the past four-plus decades to win the MVP, joining an illustrious group including Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7762879/

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing, between Emeka, Gordon, and now this that's all awards that went to people that deserve it. How'd that happen?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shaquille had a strong case for MVP as well. He would have made a fine choice...and so does Nash.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have voted for Shaq, but Nash is not a bad choice either.

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shaquille had a strong case for MVP as well. He would have made a fine choice...and so does Nash.

Agree, but personally I think D-Wade was as integral as Shaq. No Wade, no eastern championship. You take away any of Nash's compadres and I think they still succeed as long as he's on the court. That's my personal opinion of course. I wouldn't have argued with Shaq as a choice. Kind of would have been nice to shove it up Kobe's ass...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL!

That's what I was thinking. Nash is a good choice, but I would have loved see Shaq win it (just to spite what's his name)

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/06/05 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Suns were miserable when Nash got injured at one point this season. All of a sudden, all that talent didn't make a difference.
Last year the Heat advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs without Shaq. That urban legend that Shaq dominates on both ends of the floor is just that, a legend. People are driving into him. That is well deserved.

PostPosted: 05/06/05 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
The Suns were miserable when Nash got injured at one point this season. All of a sudden, all that talent didn't make a difference.
Last year the Heat advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs without Shaq. That urban legend that Shaq dominates on both ends of the floor is just that, a legend. People are driving into him. That is well deserved.

From a NBA VGM standpoint, Nash beats Shaq hands down... O'Neal's numbers were so erratic this year, people started calling him Blo'Neal. I wonder how Mark Cuban is going to spin this announcement... Especially if Dallas doesn't make it to the 2nd round Shocked

...I remember back in 2000, 2001 and 2002 when if Shaq got 32 and 12 in the playoffs, that would be considered holding him in check.... Quite frequently he'd go for ~40 and 20. Confused

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/06/05 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think trading Nash was a bad idea. Who would've thought that he and Dirk would do better separately than together...
I just blame Cuban for trading Antawn Jamison. That was a HUGE mistake. I mean, why the hell do you need Harris when you have Terry (who is much better at the 1, BTW) and Daniels?
The Mavs were left without frontcourt depth and with a surplus of PGs.
Dampier has been a big bust too...

PostPosted: 05/06/05 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I don't think trading Nash was a bad idea. Who would've thought that he and Dirk would do better separately than together...
I just blame Cuban for trading Antawn Jamison. That was a HUGE mistake. I mean, why the hell do you need Harris when you have Terry (who is much better at the 1, BTW) and Daniels?
The Mavs were left without frontcourt depth and with a surplus of PGs.
Dampier has been a big bust too...

Well if Cuban traded Nash, it would be a different story... but he just let him go because he didn't want to give him that extra year on his contract. What a way to lose a star player... Exclamation

My take is that Cuban gambled that he could pull off a Jason Kidd trade, so he traded Walker and Jamison for players that he thought NJ would like or could be satisfied with in return. Hence, the PG surplus and the 7'5" Pavel pick. A bad gamble no doubt, especially when everybody knew Shaq was leaving the West... Should have just played it safe.

This DAL/HOU series nearly highlights everything I've been saying about the Mavs since the start. They need a passing PG, a PG like Nash (Idea), not a combo guard in Terry, and since Finley is declining, Howard has been pressed into the #2 scorer, and they're trying to squeeze out ~25 pts a game out of this guy when you can only really count on him for ~16. Shocked Meanwhile, Marquis Daniels isn't even being used...

They should have kept Jamison so they could maintain the high scoring, and save money by moving Finley, not Nash...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/06/05 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well considering Cuban got Dampier for:

"Evan Eschmeyer, Dan Dickau, and the draft rights to Steve Logan in exchange for Eduardo Najera and Christian Laettner, the draft rights to guards Luis Flores and Mladen Sekularac, two future first round draft picks and cash considerations"

the fact that he hasn't done especially well doesn't bother me... He's a definite upgrade. You can't be too picky with centers... Razz

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/06/05 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, duh me...Nash was a UFA.
Still, Dampier didn't come for free. He has a pretty hefty contract for an often injured soon to be 30 player (he might be 30-something or he's getting there). Sounds just like the type of player the Knicks would sign...

PostPosted: 05/06/05 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds just like the type of player the Knicks would sign...

Or the Comets. Or SASS.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Sounds just like the type of player the Knicks would sign...

Or the Comets. Or SASS.

No, Cam. The W version of the Knicks would be the La La Sharks in terms of giving big contracts to either undeserving or often injured players. Not to mention old and past their primes...

PostPosted: 05/07/05 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Yeah, duh me...Nash was a UFA.
Still, Dampier didn't come for free. He has a pretty hefty contract for an often injured soon to be 30 player (he might be 30-something or he's getting there). Sounds just like the type of player the Knicks would sign...

Nah, the Knicks like their Centers 6'9" and shorter Razz If they're actually a PF, that's a plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: