RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 05/29/23 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atkins is a good two-way player...but I think Washington needs a 2nd option that has a higher offensive peak...Loyd has takeover ability and can carry a team for a stretch of games if EDD is out...Atkins is more of a system player, which is good...but sometimes you need a player who can take over a basketball game...Atkins can be a little passive on offense. I'd like to see her be more aggressive.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/29/23 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Atkins is a good two-way player...but I think Washington needs a 2nd option that has a higher offensive peak...Loyd has takeover ability and can carry a team for a stretch of games if EDD is out...Atkins is more of a system player, which is good...but sometimes you need a player who can take over a basketball game...Atkins can be a little passive on offense. I'd like to see her be more aggressive.

Richyyy just stated that Washington can't afford Loyd because her contract is TOO expensive. She has a supermax salary.

PostPosted: 05/29/23 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Richyyy just stated that Washington can't afford Loyd because her contract is TOO expensive. She has a supermax salary.

Yes, I saw Richyyy's post

Richyyy wrote:
Doesn't work. They're at 11 already, so can't drop to fewer rostered players, and Atkins earns significantly less than Loyd. I'm not sure Atkins-to-Loyd is that big of an offensive upgrade anyway, but the money doesn't work.

Something like Sykes (or Cloud) + Walker-Kimbrough + Zahui B for Loyd and two base minimums does just about work, for what that's worth. You have to put that sort of money in to get the maths to work.

I didn't realize Washington only had 11 players...Thanks for the info...MHA is a solid bench player, but paying her 175k for 15-20 mpg is a bit pricey. Especially when she's only shot 41% from the field the last 2 seasons.....Can't blame the Mystics...They signed MHA before they drafted S. Austin.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/29/23 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Totally agree with this take on Atkins. Is it possible that the 2nd option with a higher peak is Shakira Austin?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/29/23 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Totally agree with this take on Atkins. Is it possible that the 2nd option with a higher peak is Shakira Austin?

Austin is a super role-player...She can get you 12-18 pts but you're not going to run the offense through her. Washington needs a guard/wing who can be a primary 2nd option to EDD. Atkins has to be that player. She has the talent/ability, she just needs the mindset.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 06/09/23 4:46 pm    ::: Article about Delle Don and Austin Reply Reply with quote

https://wapo.st/42sGOy1

This is a gift article.

PostPosted: 06/10/23 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, Kristi is shooting 24% from the floor and 26% from 3 pt. range. Hope she finds her range soon.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/10/23 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
Meanwhile, Kristi is shooting 24% from the floor and 26% from 3 pt. range. Hope she finds her range soon.

Glad that at least one of the three former Terps finally showed up. THawk had a good game yesterday. Toliver and SWK continue to be MIA. Li Meng is outscoring both of them.

~rAf
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/20/23 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abby Meyers signed a Hardship Contract with the Mystics

Kristi Toliver (foot) will be out for 2 weeks

PostPosted: 06/20/23 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

The Mystics have signed former Maryland guard Abby Meyers to a hardship contract. The team will be without Li Meng until early July as she goes to play in the Asia Cup. The other roster news: Kristi Toliver will be out two weeks with a foot issue. Has been bothering her for a bit and she’s played through it. Decision was made to shut her down for a couple weeks.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1671208562821832704

pilight

PostPosted: 06/20/23 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Toliver's problem was the big fork stuck in her back letting us know she's done

PostPosted: 06/20/23 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I thought Toliver's problem was the big fork stuck in her back letting us know she's done
Twisted Evil Laughing

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/20/23 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It's felt to me like she's been slightly better this year than last year, but the numbers are horrendous. She should probably be on the coaching staff, not the playing staff.

PostPosted: 06/20/23 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's felt to me like she's been slightly better this year than last year, but the numbers are horrendous. She should probably be on the coaching staff, not the playing staff.

Eric would probably feel his position was threatened.

also, pilight, omg but yes but omfg

PostPosted: 06/20/23 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

She must have been DAMN good in the locker room to have made it onto the squad. But her body language on the bench has been just as horrendous as her play on the court. She's likely disappointed that her body can no longer make the plays or the shots, but rather than moping around, she needs to give it up already. "Psst: it's not the feet."

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 06/21/23 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

She must have been DAMN good in the locker room to have made it onto the squad. But her body language on the bench has been just as horrendous as her play on the court. She's likely disappointed that her body can no longer make the plays or the shots, but rather than moping around, she needs to give it up already. "Psst: it's not the feet."

I agree. I thought she was really slow the few minutes on the court, and she didn't do much.

They signed Abby for rest of season, so maybe Kristi will be converted to assistant coach like Sanders was.

I wanted them to draft Abby in the second round but Dallas got her first. I think she will be a great energy off the bench.

PostPosted: 06/21/23 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

She's what is known as a player development inhibiter. Yes, she should sit over a seat or two and teach and coach.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, Meyers was only signed on a 'Rest of Season' deal because that's what you have to do with hardships. They're all rest of season deals. She's still gone when Li or Toliver is back.

PostPosted: 06/22/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Qatar sovereign wealth fund buys stake in Washington’s NBA, NHL and WNBA teams

https://apnews.com/article/qatar-investment-authority-buys-wizards-capitals-9e2d9e6246f79b5265e9891b29cae690

Quote:
Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund is buying a roughly 5% stake in the parent company of the NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals and WNBA’s Washington Mystics as part of a $4.05 billion deal, a person with knowledge of the sale said Thursday.

Terrible news for the Mystics. Middle Eastern theocrats are not known for their support of women's sports.

PostPosted: 06/22/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I look forward to what the Mystics' more politically inclined players say. Or don't say.

PostPosted: 06/22/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Qatar sovereign wealth fund buys stake in Washington’s NBA, NHL and WNBA teams

https://apnews.com/article/qatar-investment-authority-buys-wizards-capitals-9e2d9e6246f79b5265e9891b29cae690

Quote:
Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund is buying a roughly 5% stake in the parent company of the NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals and WNBA’s Washington Mystics as part of a $4.05 billion deal, a person with knowledge of the sale said Thursday.

Terrible news for the Mystics. Middle Eastern theocrats are not known for their support of women's sports.

“In accordance with the policy, if approved, QIA would have a passive, minority investment in the team, with no involvement in its operations or decision-making.”

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/22/23 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We beg for more investors and more money then complain about them Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/22/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
We beg for more investors and more money then complain about them :lol: :lol: :lol:

What we want is for the league to get an influx of cash from some ethical billionaires, like...

Well...

Uhm...

... I may need a minute.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/22/23 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With that having been said, while there may be no such thing as an ethical capitalist, most billionaires aren't associated with the literal butchering of people.

... (Allegedly).

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/22/23 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
We beg for more investors and more money then complain about them Laughing Laughing Laughing

What we want is for the league to get an influx of cash from some ethical billionaires, like...

Well...

Uhm...

... I may need a minute.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: