RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/07/23 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics waived Evina Westbrook and Alisia Jenkins.

https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/1655262250372849669

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/08/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Mystics waived Evina Westbrook and Alisia Jenkins.

https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/1655262250372849669

Ouch for westbrook. I thought she played ok against Minny .

PostPosted: 05/14/23 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics waive Stephanie Jones and Elena Tsineke

PostPosted: 05/14/23 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Mystics 2023 Training Camp Begins April 30th.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-mystics/who-will-be-joining-washington-mystics-2023-training-camp

Predicted Roster:

PG - Natasha Cloud
SG - Ariel Atkins
SF - Brittney Sykes
PF - Elena DelleDonne
C - Shakira Austin

Shatori Walker-Kimbrough SF guaranteed
Myisha Hines-Allen PF guarantted

Amanda Zahui B - C
Stephanie Jones - PF (Tianna Hawkins has a chance but I think is done)
Evina Westbrook - combo guard (1,2,3)

One of: Kristi Toliver (combo 1,2), Li Meng - SG, Elena Tsinike - SG

Toliver still not signed, will Westbrook show she can be backup PG, or will Toliver make the roster as backup PG? Li Meng and Elena Tsinike will give her a run for her money at SG. Is Toliver even in game shape? She did not earn her 3 yrs of salary paid by LA Sparks due to lingering injuries and lack of being in game shape and the fact she's not yet signed might hint that she's not ready to play. This is really the only drama at this year's camp unless one of the guaranteed contract players is injured or not ready to play. One other question: will Stephanie Jones follow the development trajectory of sister Brionna? Stephanie does not have the 3 pt shot of Hawkins, but based on recent performance is a more reliable 5th post providing reliable post defense, rebounding and some offense. Following last year's top Athletes Unlimited season, Hawkins had a forgettable WNBA season, barely playing and not doing much when she did play.

REVISITING:

Predicted Roster:

PG - Natasha Cloud
SG - Ariel Atkins
SF - Brittney Sykes (back up PG)
PF - Elena DelleDonne
C - Shakira Austin

Shatori Walker-Kimbrough SF guaranteed
Myisha Hines-Allen PF guarantted

Amanda Zahui B - C
Kristi Toliver SG/backup PG

Two of THawk, Emily Engstler, Li Meng. This is the last cut and it looks to be a tough cut as all 3 are showing out at camp. Frankly, it's only AZB's height that keeps her on the squad over the one of these three that gets cut - and it's her average 3 pt shooting that kept her over Stephanie Jones who needs to add more of an outside shot.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/14/23 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Mystics announce they’ve waived Stephanie Jones and Elena Tsineke.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1657765605347344384

With todays moves, the Mystics likely have 3 spots available. 6 protected contracts: Atkins, Cloud, Delle Donne, Hines-Allen, Sykes, Walker-Kimbrough. And Austin and Toliver make it. That leaves 3 for: Zahui B, Hawkins, Engstler, Jones, Meng. (I think Zahui B is safe)

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1657781955344101376

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/14/23 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Mystics announce they’ve waived Stephanie Jones and Elena Tsineke.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1657765605347344384

With todays moves, the Mystics likely have 3 spots available. 6 protected contracts: Atkins, Cloud, Delle Donne, Hines-Allen, Sykes, Walker-Kimbrough. And Austin and Toliver make it. That leaves 3 for: Zahui B, Hawkins, Engstler, Jones, Meng. (I think Zahui B is safe)

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1657781955344101376

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jazmine Jones, but I don't think she makes the cut over THawk, Engstler and Li Meng.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/14/23 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Mike T brought Li Meng over for her beyond the arch 3 point scoring, anything is possible but unless she's shooting bricks in practice it will be hard to believe the Mystics will send her right back to China. Tianna Hawkins appears to have spring legs this training camp, I think she makes the Mystics opening day roster. Hines-Allen might need some more rehab/conditioning time which could give Engstler a few more weeks on the Mystics roster until Hines-Allen is ready to play at full strength.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/23 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics waive Jazmine Jones and Emily Engstler

PostPosted: 05/19/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's hear it for game 1 vs the not so super NY Liberty! Only player of concern is Zahui B, who didn't show much at all and left the floor pretty quickly. EDD is playing at superstar level and looks very fluid. THawk picking up where she left off in the pre season. Sykes IS all that.And Toliver's daggers have been sorely missed the last couple of years. Also impressed with KT's vet defense, giving nudges to disrupt player rhythm, getting into scrums, tapping balls off the opponent to get the ball. What she gives up with on ball defense, she tries to make up by gaining extra possessions with smart D.

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 05/20/23 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Let's hear it for game 1 vs the not so super NY Liberty! Only player of concern is Zahui B, who didn't show much at all and left the floor pretty quickly. EDD is playing at superstar level and looks very fluid. THawk picking up where she left off in the pre season. Sykes IS all that.And Toliver's daggers have been sorely missed the last couple of years. Also impressed with KT's vet defense, giving nudges to disrupt player rhythm, getting into scrums, tapping balls off the opponent to get the ball. What she gives up with on ball defense, she tries to make up by gaining extra possessions with smart D.

I agree about Zahui B., not impressive start. I would also like to see Li Mueng play some minutes. A lot of good players didn't make the W this year, is she another experiment or plans to play in the W for years?

PostPosted: 05/21/23 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Li Meng needed to get away from the scandal that got her suspended from her national team. She could be available pretty regularly if they don't reinstate her.

https://radii.co/article/li-meng-basketball

Quote:
the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) is reportedly planning to suspend 28-year-old basketball star Li Meng from the national team for a year after online accusations of an affair between Li and Zhang Long, one of the coaches of the national women’s basketball team, caused a public uproar.

PostPosted: 05/24/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three games in, major concern about Zahui B. When/will she show up as the backup post? Right now, team play goes to hell fast when Shakira's sitting. Zahui played briefly, picked up 2 quick fouls and the Mystics went with NO big. That's not going to cut it. It impacts everyone on the team, which shows up as low shooting percentages. VERY low for Kristi, Tasha and Ariel. Defenses can close out when there's no threat inside.

Secondary to the Zahui B issue is when does Myisha Hines-Allen play in a game? By rumor, she's practicing 5x5. The team needed her against bully ball CT Sun.

We've got Elena playing at All*Star level with Shakira right behind. Of the others, only Sykes and THawk are playing well consistently. The guards NEED the bench post players to step it up as we're losing too badly when EDD and/or Shakira are sitting.

~rAf
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 05/24/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Three games in, major concern about Zahui B. When/will she show up as the backup post? Right now, team play goes to hell fast when Shakira's sitting. Zahui played briefly, picked up 2 quick fouls and the Mystics went with NO big. That's not going to cut it. It impacts everyone on the team, which shows up as low shooting percentages. VERY low for Kristi, Tasha and Ariel. Defenses can close out when there's no threat inside.

Secondary to the Zahui B issue is when does Myisha Hines-Allen play in a game? By rumor, she's practicing 5x5. The team needed her against bully ball CT Sun.

We've got Elena playing at All*Star level with Shakira right behind. Of the others, only Sykes and THawk are playing well consistently. The guards NEED the bench post players to step it up as we're losing too badly when EDD and/or Shakira are sitting.

Agree completely. And while I like Shatori (and obviously this season's sample size is tiny), the Mystics need more offense out of her if she's going to continue to be on the roster every year. It seems like she and Hawkins show flashes of reliability but have trouble maintaining consistency.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/24/23 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Mystics don't have a consistent 2nd scoring option by games #20, they should look into trading for Loyd or SDS.....Washington has championship level defense, but they need a consistent 2nd scoring option to pair with EDD.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 05/25/23 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Agree completely. And while I like Shatori (and obviously this season's sample size is tiny), the Mystics need more offense out of her if she's going to continue to be on the roster every year. It seems like she and Hawkins show flashes of reliability but have trouble maintaining consistency.

My 2¢....show us why Li Meng is on the roster instead of a draft pick. She is supposed to be a 3 point threat, no?

PostPosted: 05/25/23 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

My 2¢....show us why Li Meng is on the roster instead of a draft pick. She is supposed to be a 3 point threat, no?

It's very possible Li Meng is Rui Machida 2.0. I get the appeal of an international player (and the increased exposure, I assume, from China as a result) but the rosters are too small to take a flyer on a player who might not pan out.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/25/23 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

It's very possible Li Meng is Rui Machida 2.0. I get the appeal of an international player (and the increased exposure, I assume, from China as a result) but the rosters are too small to take a flyer on a player who might not pan out.

With any more games of Panda going O-fer, we should see Li Meng get a shot.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/27/23 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the abominable shooting by the guards in games 2,3,4, what do Eric/Mike need to do to get the guards back in rhythm? Seems pretty clear to me that they're not comfortable right now, but how to fix is less obvious. I think Sykes excels as an OFF ball facilitator but not as much as the primary ball handler. Give the ball back to Tash!

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 05/28/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington should put together a package for J. Loyd.....They desperately need a legit championship caliber 2nd option to pair with EDD. I just don't think Atkins is built for that role.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/28/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Washington should put together a package for J. Loyd.....They desperately need a legit championship caliber 2nd option to pair with EDD. I just don't think Atkins is built for that role.

Very hard to do given Loyd's on the supermax and Washington are barely $1,500 under the cap. Also you surely don't do it as Wash unless the cost is very minimal (in which case Seattle wouldn't do it), or Loyd signed an extension as part of the deal. She can't be cored again, so you're not giving up core pieces for someone who might walk for nothing at the end of the season.

PostPosted: 05/29/23 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Very hard to do given Loyd's on the supermax and Washington are barely $1,500 under the cap. Also you surely don't do it as Wash unless the cost is very minimal (in which case Seattle wouldn't do it), or Loyd signed an extension as part of the deal. She can't be cored again, so you're not giving up core pieces for someone who might walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Washington will have to give up a quality starter to land Loyd during the offseason. It makes sense to do it now by sign/trade (If Loyd agrees) than to run the risk of Loyd signing with her hometown team(Chicago)

Proposed trade:

Atkins,1st & 2nd Rd pk for Loyd.....Cut Zahui B to free up some cap space.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/29/23 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't work. They're at 11 already, so can't drop to fewer rostered players, and Atkins earns significantly less than Loyd. I'm not sure Atkins-to-Loyd is that big of an offensive upgrade anyway, but the money doesn't work.

Something like Sykes (or Cloud) + Walker-Kimbrough + Zahui B for Loyd and two base minimums does just about work, for what that's worth. You have to put that sort of money in to get the maths to work.

PostPosted: 05/29/23 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Washington will have to give up a quality starter to land Loyd during the offseason. It makes sense to do it now by sign/trade (If Loyd agrees) than to run the risk of Loyd signing with her hometown team(Chicago)

Proposed trade:

Atkins is a better player than Loyd, why would we be the team giving up extra assets?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/29/23 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

Atkins is a better player than Loyd, why would we be the team giving up extra assets?

If Atkins is better than Loyd she needs to start playing like it....Washington needs a 2nd option who can score/create offense. Atkins is avg 9p/3a on 30/12 shooting...She's not getting it done right now.

You give up the picks to get the trade done without getting into a bidding war.......Washington is going to be a top 3 or 4 seed so the 1st rd pick is going to be a low.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/29/23 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who cares what she's averaging over 4 games? Over the last 3 seasons her scoring average is pretty much in line with what Loyd scored in Seattle's title seasons. That's the player she is.

Atkins and Loyd have the same limitations in terms of self-creation - too many jumpshots, not enough drives. Doesn't fix anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: