RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VICELAND?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 07/23/16 11:32 pm    ::: VICELAND? Reply Reply with quote

Anybody here watching any shows on this channel? Though I'm not a big fan of most TV (I end up watching a lot of it at my job), this channel has some amazingly fascinating stuff on it.

If you do watch any shows on it, I'm curious to know what your favorites might be.

PostPosted: 07/24/16 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we watch Viceland!!! it is an awesome channel. our faves are Huang's World, State of Undress, Weediquette, Gaycation, That's Delicious, Black Market, King of the Road...basically, everything they have on the air. Smile

PostPosted: 07/24/16 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find all the shows to be pretty uneven from episode to episode, but some are very interesting and/or entertaining.

Balls Deep may be my favorite, especially the Alaska and the NY Tugboat episodes. Thomas Morton does a really good job.

It strikes me that several episodes of State of Undress were pretty dangerous to film.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/25/16 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 07/24/16 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I'm a fan already....of what I've SEEN, at least. As Art pointed out,
consistency is missing in some places, but the topics and insights seem very deserving of our attentions.

Love: States of Undress, Balls Deep, Cyberwar, and Gaycation (but I only saw one epi of that. Cyberwar was of great interest, resonating in such an uber-timely concern.

From what I've seen, it's raising the whole Reality TV to a new level: it's every bit as real as, say, Survivor, Real Housewives, Big Brother, etc., BUT....there's a purpose in what they reveal.

PostPosted: 07/25/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It strikes me that several episodes of State of Undress were pretty dangerous to film.

yes. i'm amazed at some of the situations the woman has been in and who's actually agreed to meet with her and her willingness to meet with them given the dangers.

State of Undress is probably my favorite show on Viceland.

PostPosted: 09/17/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One website suspects that Viceland is something beyond its supposedly hipster facade...

http://www.mintpressnews.com/vices-fall-counterculture-hipster-rag-neoliberal-government-mouthpiece/220431/

PostPosted: 09/17/16 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
One website suspects that Viceland is something beyond its supposedly hipster facade...

http://www.mintpressnews.com/vices-fall-counterculture-hipster-rag-neoliberal-government-mouthpiece/220431/

Interesting read.

Quote:
While positioning itself as a ballsy, no-holds-barred alternative to the mainstream media, it’s actually become the mainstream media. VICE Media hasn’t just sold itself out to the neocon agenda, it’s also normalized that agenda among its audience through its growing digital platform.........
But on matters of foreign policy, VICE’s tone tends to align with Washington’s maneuverings, including the re-emergence of Cold War narratives pushing “Russia-phobia” and justifying NATO’s aggressive posturing toward Russia in Ukraine and Syria.

I can't think of one program I've watched on Viceland that could be accused of the above idea. Now, if Murdoch, et.al., have any hand in Viceland, I have no idea (and wouldn't know how to verify that anyways....) but the topics I've seen examined all seem very deserving of our attention. And even inane (the fat tattooed guy that goes around making "fucking good food" everywhere, or something like that, LOL!) But not pushing war agendas. I dunno.

PostPosted: 09/18/16 9:13 am    ::: Re: VICELAND? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Anybody here watching any shows on this channel? Though I'm not a big fan of most TV (I end up watching a lot of it at my job), this channel has some amazingly fascinating stuff on it.

If you do watch any shows on it, I'm curious to know what your favorites might be.

I watch "Women" and "Black Market", good, but sad stories.

PostPosted: 09/18/16 9:43 pm    ::: Re: VICELAND? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I've tried to watch--it's crap. I'd much rather have back H2--or even it's first connotation, History International---when there were actual HISTORY segments on it. I used to love watching the History Channel, but I can't now as it's been taken over by BS "shows" like American Pickers and Pawn Stars. UGH. I so wish I could watch HISTORY segments on the HISTORY Channel. SMH

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/08/23 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE: Vice preps for bankruptcy (Chapter 11) filing, and for a possible sale.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/vice-bankruptcy-filing-sale-fortress-soros-fund-management-1235604596/[/u]

PostPosted: 05/08/23 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny to revisit this thread almost 7 years later. I've totally moved a way from that particular outlet, and hadn't thought of it all these years.

PostPosted: 05/09/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
UPDATE: Vice preps for bankruptcy (Chapter 11) filing, and for a possible sale.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/vice-bankruptcy-filing-sale-fortress-soros-fund-management-1235604596/[/u]

It's a cable channel intended for younger viewers in a dying market. How many younger viewers pay for cable? Will cable and satellite TV even be around in 15 years? Probably not in its current form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: