RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The WNBA head coaching situation, in Black and white

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:52 am    ::: The WNBA head coaching situation, in Black and white Reply Reply with quote

https://deadspin.com/wnba-black-female-coaches-2023-1850247231

Quote:
Only one team approached the process of replenishing its ranks or filling newly created positions with a seriousness befitting the players’ demands, present and past, that WNBA entities value them beyond their playing days. That team is the Atlanta Dream, which razed and rebuilt the organization in the wake of scandal-ravaged 2020 and 2021 WNBA seasons. The team revamped its operations with a sharp eye trained on its long-term viability.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i was looking for a bigger mention of Noelle Quinn, and the one time the article did mention her, they messed up at least the wording of it, if not giving her undue credit altogether:

Quote:
When the league tips off the 2023 season, it will have just two Black women in head-coaching jobs: Noelle Quinn, who led Seattle to the 2020 WNBA title, and Wright, who has been integral to the Dream’s transformation.

so that was disappointing.

i'm not a fan of how much Dallas' Vickie Johnson situation was covered. to me, it sounded like she lost that locker room at some point in the 2022 season, which is why a coaching change was not so difficult to see coming. though if you knew nothing about that, i could see why it seemed like an unfair firing from the outside.

as for the Mystics' nepo baby situation, i think everyone & their mother saw that move coming eventually so no one was surprised enough to feel any type of way about it.

i really like what the Dream organization is doing. when the team gets good on the court, i wonder what that'll look like in terms of fan support and overall franchise visibility. hopefully 2022 was the last reset the organization needed to have, at least for a very long time. we need the WNBA to thrive in each of its markets, but particularly its lone southeastern one.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/23 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by what the Mystics did, but I still don't like it

PostPosted: 03/26/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not surprised by what the Mystics did, but I still don't like it

Eric Thibault is a big part of the Mystics success. I have no problem with Eric succeeding Mike as the Mystics Head Coach. By the way, the Mystics have a Female Black Associate Head Coach, 2 Black Female Assistant Coaches and a White Female Assistant GM.

I can remember when people who post on this message board wanting Eric Thibault to be hire when other WNBA Head Coaching Jobs came open (Liberty, Wings)

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/23 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I can remember when people who post on this message board wanting Eric Thibault to be hire when other WNBA Head Coaching Jobs came open (Liberty, Wings)

I never, ever wanted him for my team

PostPosted: 03/26/23 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the few rousing successes the WNBA has had among it's rules and league decisions is the "you can have an extra assistant coach as long as it's a former WNBA player" rule. Virtually every team has taken advantage - because they all want that extra assistant - and it's inevitably led to greater diversity among the coaching ranks around the league. It's going to take a little time to filter through to the head coaching spots, but give it a chance. With more opportunity there'll be more black, female candidates, and the numbers will change. We're only a couple of years removed from "why are there so few women in head coaching spots in the WNBA?" Now it's something like 9-3 female. These things can change fast in a small league.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: