RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Officials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/21/23 6:19 pm    ::: Officials Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to have a discussion about officials. We all know that the officiating in women's basketball can be atrocious, but which officials are the ones that when your team is playing and he/she is on the crew, you immediately know you're in for a long night?

Mine are:

1. Maj Forsberg
2. Cheryl Flores
3. Eric Brewton

Worst of all time. Lisa Mattingly.

Last edited by ucbart on 03/22/23 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/21/23 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joseph Vazily. Any of the Enterlines. Why are there so many Enterlines?

PostPosted: 03/21/23 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely Flores. She can be depended on to make some really bad calls, and often at critical times.

I still don't like to see Michael Price.

and trying to remember who it is, can't think of name right off - but he calls A LOT of fouls and often inconsistently. When I see him, I know it will be a long game because of all the fouls.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/21/23 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gripe is the inconsistency in how games are called both from game to game and within a game.

All sorts of contact is allowed for a half or 3 periods and then everything draws a whistle.

The inconsistency in block/charge calls is unfixable unless there is both a major overhaul in what constitutes "establishing defensive position" and an answer to flopping.

So far there has been a lot of contact allowed. Physical teams will stretch the envelope, leading to the end of the Ga-Iowa game where a notoriously physical Ga team tossed in a couple of very cheap shots to Louisville players after the game was lost.

By the S16 the NCAA has weeded out the worst of the refs.

And1

PostPosted: 03/22/23 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inouye is horrible.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/22/23 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Inouye is horrible.

Is/was married to Bryan Enterline.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/23 1:35 pm    ::: Re: Officials Reply Reply with quote

DEE KANTNER.

I saw - up close, in person - the way she screwed Stanford at the FF in Indy. She called so many bad fouls, Stanford had to really pull back. It got inside their heads, BAD. They lose to TX A&M, who eventually beat Notre Dame.

The Aggies featured Danielle Adams and Sydney Colson, while the Cardinal had BOTH O-sisters, Pohlen and Kayla Pederson - shoulda never happened. Evil or Very Mad

But then, I like the Enterlines - at least Bryan and Cameron I (his wife, I believe) Razz

(Edited from Original. Thank you, STB....you jogged my memory.)

Also, I ought to add an idea here: I've see so many games where I couldn't even TELL ya who the refs were - cuz they were mostly quite good, efficient and unobtrusive with no absurd calls. The Best refs keep the game rolling and don't make ya ask, "Who IS that!??"

Last edited by Howee on 03/22/23 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lately it's been Dee Kantner.

In the Sun Belt, whoever it was that officiated the Troy-Texas State game in the tourney. Forget their names, but I know -em when I see 'em. Also one I haven't seen since JMU went to the SBC but used to see all the time in the CAA; she had very short blonde hair, almost mannish cut. We called her The Nazi.

PostPosted: 03/22/23 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have names. I can tell you Q1 of the Duke/Colorado game was called SO badly (100% favoring Colorado, I kid you not), the officials got a "talking to" at the quarter break (I saw it happen with my own eyes - I was 3 feet away). The rest of the game was called evenly, with horrendously bad calls going both ways, with the exception of the officials giving Colorado the ball when the 24 sec buzzer had clearly gone off before the ball went out of bounds. I don't expect to see any of the three officials at any more games this season and not at Duke again. The tape will tell the story and it won't be pretty.

~rAf
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/23/23 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Definitely Flores. She can be depended on to make some really bad calls, and often at critical times.

I still don't like to see Michael Price.

and trying to remember who it is, can't think of name right off - but he calls A LOT of fouls and often inconsistently. When I see him, I know it will be a long game because of all the fouls.

You can rely on Flores to get a significant number of calls wrong. Michael Price is a piece of work. Typically, at some point in a game, he'll decide that he isn't involved enough so he will just start making up calls. Then a player will look at him the wrong way, which will bruise his ego, so he'll start dishing out technicals to her, her best friend, and the mascot.

Roy?

MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesse Dickerson.

Brian Enterline.

Years ago, there was a Big XII Women's basketball board. Whenever bad officiating was discussed, those two were at the top of the list.

MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
My gripe is the inconsistency in how games are called both from game to game and within a game.

All sorts of contact is allowed for a half or 3 periods and then everything draws a whistle.

The inconsistency in block/charge calls is unfixable unless there is both a major overhaul in what constitutes "establishing defensive position" and an answer to flopping.

So far there has been a lot of contact allowed. Physical teams will stretch the envelope, leading to the end of the Ga-Iowa game where a notoriously physical Ga team tossed in a couple of very cheap shots to Louisville players after the game was lost.

By the S16 the NCAA has weeded out the worst of the refs.

I no longer know what is a foul and what isn't a foul when it comes to players trying to get around screens.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who else remembers Sally Bell, the ref from hell?

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My comment is not about specific refs, but rather about differences in how games are called generally. It seems that guard-on-guard harassment (violence?) is tolerated, but fouls are called more liberally on forwards and posts inside.

Don't even get me started on the block/charge thing. What some refs call establishing position is clearly not what I consider establishing position.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/26/23 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The crew calling the LSU-Miami game tonight. Pitiful.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/23 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The crew calling the LSU-Miami game tonight. Pitiful.

👏👏👏+1000 and then some! I almost got the feeling some LSU moneybags fan paid them off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: