RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other Games 2/20-23-2/26/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/21/23 3:28 pm    ::: Other Games 2/20-23-2/26/23 Reply Reply with quote

Down to the end, and then conference tournaments start. Next week already for the Sun Belt, which won't give most teams time to lick their wounds, but doesn't let anyone get out of shape either.

PostPosted: 02/23/23 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night James Madison went to Boone, NC, to face Appalachian State. This is the windup week of conference play and standings were still pretty much unsettled, with JMU and Troy duking it out for the top spot. JMU started slow but picked it up by the end of the second quarter and cut loose in the second half to win it 78-62. The Dukes had four players in double figures, led by Peyton McDaniel with 18. McDaniel also had a double-double, picking up 8 rebounds. For the loseing team, Emily Carver and Janay Sanders scored in double figures. Just as a point of interest, App State has a player, Zada Porter, who's a dead ringer for Notre Dame's Olivia Miles.

After I watched the JUM game, I flipped over to the other Sun Belt gvme of interest, Troy vs. Southern Miss, which was won pretty convincingly by Southern Miss. Troy, which is normally pretty good, just looked lifeless, and Southern Miss was LIT UP. Souther'd Miss's couch is one scary woman, though *shudder*. She kind of reminds me of my HD algebra teacher, only worse.

PostPosted: 02/23/23 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night James Madison went to Boone, NC, to face Appalachian State. This is the windup week of conference play and standings were still pretty much unsettled, with JMU and Troy duking it out for the top spot. JMU started slow but picked it up by the end of the second quarter and cut loose in the second half to win it 78-62. The Dukes had four players in double figures, led by Peyton McDaniel with 18. McDaniel also had a double-double, picking up 8 rebounds. For the loseing team, Emily Carver and Janay Sanders scored in double figures. Just as a point of interest, App State has a player, Zada Porter, who's a dead ringer for Notre Dame's Olivia Miles.

After I watched the JMU game, I flipped over to the other Sun Belt gvme of interest, Troy vs. Southern Miss, which was won pretty convincingly by Southern Miss. Troy, which is normally pretty good, just looked lifeless, and Southern Miss was LIT UP. Souther'd Miss's coach is one scary woman, though *shudder*. She kind of reminds me of my HS algebra teacher, only worse.

Last edited by summertime blues on 02/24/23 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/23/23 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Southern Miss still as physical as I remember? I’ll grant it’s been ten years, but they have the same coach, and the one time they showed up at St. John’s they beat us up so bad we only had four players left at the end of the game.

They did have a nice little point guard, though, name of Jamierra Faulkner.

PostPosted: 02/24/23 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior night did not go as expected in Harrisonburg, where Marshall, whom JMU had beaten handily in their house, showed up with a pocket full of 3 pointers and some other tricks to ruin the night for Kiki Jefferson and Caroline Germond in an all-out slugfest that was ruined by a lot of elbows and knees and terrible refereeing. At one point my husband turned to me and said, "There are three people running around out there with whistles in their mouths for no discernible reason whatsoever." With 5:30+ left in the final quarter, when Coach O. saw there was nothing else to be done, he put in the back-benchers, and that was the most fun basketball all night. Marshall didn't know what hit them or how to respond, they were completely unprepared, and this group, which has obviously played together, maybe as the scrimmage squad or something, put together some pretty good stuff. Well, there was one foulfest under the JMU basket that resulted in something like 5 straight trips to the FT line for the Dukes, but there were also some pretty plays, steals, 3 pointers, and second chance points. The final was 71-58 Marshall, but we got a nice look at next year anyway and AFAI< JMU is still on top of the conference and has a double bye in the tournament.

As to your question, Queenie, SoMiss is just as physical as they were previously. Same coach (who has apparently been there since the Stone Age), same tactics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: