RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/23 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always some weird, slippery slides here during conference play: for example,
#17 Oklahoma beats #11 Iowa St., so of course, IA St. drops, but....so does Oklahoma???? I know OK lost to Baylor but to me, they should a broke even. Razz

PostPosted: 01/09/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC State losing to 0-vote Boston College and only dropping one spot is a head-scratcher.

PostPosted: 01/10/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inertia wins

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/10/23 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

Exactly. Plus, I wonder if some of those voting have watched that many games outside of the "charmed circle". LSU, for instance, hasn't hit the hard part of their schedule yet.

PostPosted: 01/11/23 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.testudotimes.com/2023/1/9/23546096/maryland-womens-basketball-leaps-into-top-10-of-ap-poll-for-first-time-this-season-landing-at-no-9

PostPosted: 01/11/23 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

Exactly. Plus, I wonder if some of those voting have watched that many games outside of the "charmed circle". LSU, for instance, hasn't hit the hard part of their schedule yet.

The hard part in a relative sense only. They have one ranked team on their remaining schedule.

Yeah, it's the SEC but it's looking like only 2 SEC teams will host the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA's.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/11/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

The hard part in a relative sense only. They have one ranked team on their remaining schedule.

Yeah, it's the SEC but it's looking like only 2 SEC teams will host the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA's.

isn't that amazing? Shocked how far the mighty have fallen. but I suspect 'they' will figure out a way to get at least one more in the top 16 by then.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/11/23 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

As opposed to the Big East, which will have just UConn representing the conference in the top 16...or will they postpone the tournament until UConn has enough players...

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=11

South Carolina still unanimous

Ohio State up to #2

North Carolina up to #17

NC State down to #20

Colorado & Texas in
Baylor & Kansas out

PostPosted: 01/16/23 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

As opposed to the Big East, which will have just UConn representing the conference in the top 16...or will they postpone the tournament until UConn has enough players...

This is the kind of comment that justifiably gets you labeled as a hater. No one was talking about UConn. No one was talking about the Big East. No one was talking about the Big East's cancelation policy. You went out of your way to complain about all three.

No one expects the Big East to have more than one team in the top 16. I imagine most people would expect the SEC to have more than two, given recent history and preseason expectations. It's a down year for the SEC, simple as that.

On the topic of the poll, UConn was thoroughly unimpressive against Georgetown, but having LSU jump them for beating two unranked teams is a choice.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/16/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PAC 12 and The Big 10 each have 6 teams in the Top 25.....nearly 50% of the total. Cool

PostPosted: 01/16/23 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=11

Ohio State up to #2

North Carolina up to #17

NC State down to #20

Colorado & Texas in
Baylor & Kansas out

Duke up to #13! Behind two 4 loss teams and two 3 loss teams but I get that Duke has been SO irrelevant for so many years, they have to overearn their ranking. Now, Maryland being above Duke makes some sort of sense, given their win over UConn and Iowa has POY candidate Caitlyn Clark.

We just need to keep taking care of business and let the poll take care of itself. Next up: arch enemy North Carolina AT North Carolina, 15 miles away.

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 01/17/23 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

I think both the B1G and ACC would make for a better comparison. Why is it that every post I make about a program other than UConn is turned into a UConn discussion? The topic is the SEC.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/17/23 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

I think both the B1G and ACC would make for a better comparison. Why is it that every post I make about a program other than UConn is turned into a UConn discussion? The topic is the SEC.

Who made the topic the SEC? This thread is about the polls. You hate on everyone just to puff up your Huskies. I swear, UConn fans turn into total wussie babies whenever anyone points out their faults or the weak conference they play in. You can dish it out but you sure can't take it.

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 01/17/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

Who made the topic the SEC? This thread is about the polls. You hate on everyone just to puff up your Huskies. I swear, UConn fans turn into total wussie babies whenever anyone points out their faults or the weak conference they play in. You can dish it out but you sure can't take it.

You have been telling the world about UConn's weak conferences since I had all my hair. I don't think I've posted a word about Duke since back when they were good and yet you were dissing UConn's conference even way back then.

RAF:
1. Geno plays his starters too many minutes
2. The BE stinks
3. The AAC stinks
4. The BE stinks
5. Geno plays his starters too many minutes

It's been the same litany of tired and boring barbs that lost their sharp points long ago.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/17/23 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
inertia wins

You have been telling the world about UConn's weak conferences since I had all my hair. I don't think I've posted a word about Duke since back when they were good and yet you were dissing UConn's conference even way back then.

RAF:
1. Geno plays his starters too many minutes
2. The BE stinks
3. The AAC stinks
4. The BE stinks
5. Geno plays his starters too many minutes

It's been the same litany of tired and boring barbs that lost their sharp points long ago.

Pot meet kettle. You simply spew hate around liberally. Apparently you changed screen names a bit ago as I don't recall your screenname from yesteryear. I can take a guess at your former name based on all that hate thrown at all non-UConn teams and players. A little birdy whispered in my ear...

During UConn's reign, UConn players were getting injured WAY below average rates, with star players missing games only rarely. You have to step into the way back machine to find examples of star players missing games when UConn was winning it all almost every year. Now that the injury rate is a little higher than average, UConn is feeling the strategy of always playing a very short rotation.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/23 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=12

Stanford up to #3

North Carolina up to #15

Duke down to #16

Middle Tennessee and Florida State in
Oregon and Texas out

PostPosted: 01/25/23 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw a note somewhere--this is the first time in the history of the AP poss that there is no school from the state of Texas in the Top 25.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/25/23 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Saw a note somewhere--this is the first time in the history of the AP poss that there is no school from the state of Texas in the Top 25.

I saw that blurb, too. That also held true in the Coaches' poll - I'm always curious as to how/why that poll isn't considered as the more valid one.

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

I saw that blurb, too. That also held true in the Coaches' poll - I'm always curious as to how/why that poll isn't considered as the more valid one.

Because they are both posted in and referenced to, by the media???

Howee

PostPosted: 01/25/23 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Howee wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

Ummm, not getting how that explains my question. I'm just thinking about how most broadcasts typically use the AP poll as THE Ranking; even here, most folks reference a ranking according to that poll.

PostPosted: 01/25/23 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not shocking that the media favors the media poll

PostPosted: 01/25/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

I have always heard that few, if any, coaches actually vote in the coaches poll. Usually it’s blamed on the SIDs. Even if it is the coaches, how many of them have time to watch games outside their opponents? And how likely are they to bias toward picks that would help their own team?

Those are some of the reasons I’ve heard to put less stick in the coaches poll. And, of course, the media favors their own anyway.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/25/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/27/23 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Howee wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

Ummm, not getting how that explains my question. I'm just thinking about how most broadcasts typically use the AP poll as THE Ranking; even here, most folks reference a ranking according to that poll.

I remember back in the day (1995-96) when ESPN would only put the ticker for the ranked Women's teams up, they actually used the coaches. I remember this because that season ND rose into the rankings, but they were ranked in the AP Poll a few weeks before they got ranked in the Coaches' Poll and when they were first ranked in the AP Poll, I thought that I could kind of follow the games through the ticker. However, they didn't show up because, as I said, they used the Coaches' Poll for that one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: