Other Team
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/24/23 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Dear Rock Hard--

Any chance of a quota on the number of posts in this thread in which you express your contempt for Breanna Stewart? I support your right to express your dislike, but again and again? Really? Did she murder four of your children?

Bob

I, for one, support @Rock Hard's prerogative to hate Breanna Stewart for whatever reason, or for absolutely no reason at all. If anything, irrational dislike is more palatable: nothing more obnoxious than somebody who acts self-righteous about disliking an athlete. #HateHard Approved!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/24/23 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Dear Rock Hard--

Any chance of a quota on the number of posts in this thread in which you express your contempt for Breanna Stewart? I support your right to express your dislike, but again and again? Really? Did she murder four of your children?

Bob

Thank you Bob for putting out there what was obvious. Just acting like a total troll.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/24/23 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Dear Rock Hard--

Bob

I, for one, support @Rock Hard's prerogative to hate Breanna Stewart for whatever reason, or for absolutely no reason at all. If anything, irrational dislike is more palatable: nothing more obnoxious than somebody who acts self-righteous about disliking an athlete. #HateHard Approved!

I don't have an issue with him hating. I have an issue with him being redundant.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/24/23 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I don't have an issue with him hating. I have an issue with him being redundant.

Oh, I'm not defending the volume, just the hatred itself.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/24/23 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Dear Rock Hard--

Bob

I can hate with the best of them. (Hello Tina Charles)
It's the knuckle dragging attitude towards women and choices. The fact that the totally awesome players' association is ALL about women having more choices must really grate on some cave men. Luckily most of them troll on twitter and don't come here, where we all supposedly are fans of WOMEN who choose to play basketball, while some also choose to be moms.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/24/23 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA Owners are the ones who are on the wrong side of this charter flight issue not Breanne Stewart. I believe if a WNBA Owner can't provide a healthy and safe operation for their players then that Owner should get out of the business.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/25/23 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

each person in this thread is acting on-brand, is all i know

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/25/23 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I find interesting is the apparent assumption that this is only a conflict between Stewart and the mean nasty owners.

It seems to me it may be every bit as much a conflict between a rich superstar player who wants fancier travel conditions and the opportunity to make more money versus the majority of her fellow players who are simply happy to have a job playing basketball and voted against Stewart's desires and for an agreement that bans charter flights and team bonding junkets.

What do you think her teammates feel about her or anyone else walking into camp a month into the season after they've lost a bunch of games and dug themselves a hole, and perhaps miss the playoffs, because of the player's absence so that she could pocket some more salary and endorsement money in Europe? Are the owners really the only ones who object to that? And do you think the 12th players on the rosters want to fly charters if the extra cost risks a reduction in roster size to 11? I know how I'd vote if I was scrambling for a roster spot.

These conflicts between the stars and the rank and file exist in every sport's players union, and indeed in every union. Some people are worried about having a job at all while others who know their job is secure want unlimited salaries and more luxurious conditions. I don't blame either group but their interests and concerns are often irreconcilable.

I wonder if Stewart and some others made their views on charter flights known during the contract renewal process and were voted down by a majority of their fellows who were more worried about preserving jobs. I don't profess to know the answer to that, but many of the assumptions being made in this discussion seem rather naive to me.

I suppose a fix would be to abolish the principle that the rich teams are prohibited from providing more in working conditions and benefits than less profitable teams. That notion seems to be carried to an excess in the WNBA. It's supposed, I assume, to help ensure competitive balance, but whether it's MLB or the NBA, inequity never quite seems to result in the predicted destruction of the sporting product. Let each team decide for itself and balance the cost against its ability to attract players and compete. There's a lot of other factors at play in player movement decisions than just mode of travel and some owners might well decide that is not the most efficient use of their limited dollars.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/25/23 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL! I'm the biggest hater of them all, but even I'd get an argument in a bar( because I have) about Candace Parker's greatness and what she means to female athletes everywhere. This is some deep level animosity. RockHard-by chance are you a 5'10" former guard at SUNY Cortland that Breanna lit up in a game at the Y when she was 14?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I'm curious. What's my brand? Cool

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Which, of course, leads to this question for Stormeo: what's YOUR brand? Smile

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

i shan't elaborate

Bob Lamm wrote:

peep the sig, perhaps

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/25/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

i shan't elaborate

Bob Lamm wrote:

peep the sig, perhaps

Sorry, but being incredibly old I have no clue as to what that means.

PostPosted: 01/25/23 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(refer to my signature for at least one clue)

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/25/23 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

One clue? Wondering why the person who talks about everyone else's brands won't directly say what their own brand is. Interesting.

PostPosted: 01/25/23 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

One clue? Wondering why the person who talks about everyone else's brands won't directly say what their own brand is. Interesting.

the rest of any perceived “clues” of one’s brand (not just mine) can be found in one’s posts

on a board like this, i’d argue most of our ‘brands’ have a subconscious characteristic to them which perhaps would be better described by those who perceive/experience them rather than the individual themself, with Silky’s #HateHard brand being one of the lone explicit purposeful exceptions

i’m not gonna delve much further into specifics because A) off-topic, and B) it’s really not that serious (perhaps, another clue, in & of itself)

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/25/23 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

the rest of any perceived “clues” of one’s brand (not just mine) can be found in one’s posts

on a board like this, i’d argue most of our ‘brands’ have a subconscious characteristic to them which perhaps would be better described by those who perceive/experience them rather than the individual themself, with Silky’s #HateHard brand being one of the lone explicit purposeful exceptions

i’m not gonna delve much further into specifics because A) off-topic, and B) it’s really not that serious (perhaps, another clue, in & of itself)

Wow! 87 words without answering. Is your brand longer than that? Smile I give up. Won't ask again!

PostPosted: 01/25/23 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Unless social media has switched up the definition of "pressed" on me, my interpretation of @Stormeo's signature is another (possibly[?] passive-aggressive) way of expressing this meme:

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/26/23 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, a nice gesture but mere drops in the bucket without more support. Then, there's that pesky CBA.

ChiSky54 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Using chartered flights for WNBA teams is just a pipe dream. This current CBA is written in stone and I doubt if the owners are going to pay that cost for that benefit.

I thought I remembered that there was no real game-day benefit to the Libs:

Quote:
All told, the Liberty paid for charter flights for five road games in the second half of the season, as well as a trip to Napa Valley over Labor Day Weekend for a team bonding experience -- a benefit that also violated the CBA. The team ended up losing all five of those road games in the second half of the season, so it's hard to say the better travel gave them much of an edge.

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/wnba-fines-new-york-liberty-league-record-500000-for-taking-chartered-flights-last-season-per-report/

johnjohnW wrote:
Did the players association not even show the players the CBA before it was voted on? A lot of players don't seem to understand what they voted for.

I also wondered if the players actually read the thing! It's is odd timing to bring this to the forefront now.

Then there is the controversy over whether the Tsais did or didn't have a potential deal to make charters available for all. Wasn't a $20M cost projected? Where was the funding coming from?

...yes, the players deserve charter flights, but it seems they already voted to keep things as they are in the current CBA. What now?

PostPosted: 01/27/23 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
What I find interesting is the apparent assumption that this is only a conflict between Stewart and the mean nasty owners.

It seems to me it may be every bit as much a conflict between a rich superstar player who wants fancier travel conditions and the opportunity to make more money versus the majority of her fellow players who are simply happy to have a job playing basketball and voted against Stewart's desires and for an agreement that bans charter flights and team bonding junkets.

What do you think her teammates feel about her or anyone else walking into camp a month into the season after they've lost a bunch of games and dug themselves a hole, and perhaps miss the playoffs, because of the player's absence so that she could pocket some more salary and endorsement money in Europe? Are the owners really the only ones who object to that? And do you think the 12th players on the rosters want to fly charters if the extra cost risks a reduction in roster size to 11? I know how I'd vote if I was scrambling for a roster spot.

These conflicts between the stars and the rank and file exist in every sport's players union, and indeed in every union. Some people are worried about having a job at all while others who know their job is secure want unlimited salaries and more luxurious conditions. I don't blame either group but their interests and concerns are often irreconcilable.

I wonder if Stewart and some others made their views on charter flights known during the contract renewal process and were voted down by a majority of their fellows who were more worried about preserving jobs. I don't profess to know the answer to that, but many of the assumptions being made in this discussion seem rather naive to me.

I suppose a fix would be to abolish the principle that the rich teams are prohibited from providing more in working conditions and benefits than less profitable teams. That notion seems to be carried to an excess in the WNBA. It's supposed, I assume, to help ensure competitive balance, but whether it's MLB or the NBA, inequity never quite seems to result in the predicted destruction of the sporting product. Let each team decide for itself and balance the cost against its ability to attract players and compete. There's a lot of other factors at play in player movement decisions than just mode of travel and some owners might well decide that is not the most efficient use of their limited dollars.

If there was a "Like" button, your post would definitely get a "Like."
Excellent post!!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 01/29/23 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Predictions, Date & Time Breanna Stewart announces her signing with the Liberty?

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Predictions, Date & Time Breanna Stewart announces her signing with the Liberty?

With words or with emojis?

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 01/29/23 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

🏀🗽📅🕐=🥅🙈🧲😪

PostPosted: 01/29/23 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

er Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Can confirm the Mystics are no longer in the running for Breanna Stewart, according to league source. Washington was one of the teams that met with her in Istanbul at the beginning of the free agency negotiating period. (
Rachel Galligan Winsidr first)

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1619775501215875073

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/29/23 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whichever team Stewart signs with I will give a super celebration every time they LOSE. Most definitely a backwards flip celebration whenever the Mystics LOSE!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: