RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Stanford @ Southern California - 1/15/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/23 12:05 am    ::: #2 Stanford @ Southern California - 1/15/23 Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles, CA - 5:00 PM ET
TV: Pac-12 Network (Anne Marie Anderson, Mary Murphy)

Video stream:
https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/01/15/stanford-usc (tvpli)

Audio:
https://gostanford.com/showcase?Live=1504

Live stats:
https://usctrojans.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

43-33 USC after 3 periods.

USC is 0-4 against Massey top 50 teams. Best win was at Oregon St.

Where's Myrtle?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

52-44 SoCal with 30 seconds to play......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SoCal wins 55-46, and hands Stanford their 2nd loss on the season....

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting four transfers and without scoring a basket in the last 8:45 of the game, USC beats Stanford 55-46, smashing the Cardinal's 39 game win streak in the Pac12.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 01/15/23 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The upset of the year (so far) occurred behind a paywall.

55-46 final.

Tara went 13 deep on her bench. Just goes to show .... Very Happy Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford was 5-19 fg in the 4th. 1-8 on 3's.

Several Trees saw little floor time. Prechtel with 6 min, Belibi with 3, Betts with 2.

But despite using 13 players Tara had Jump, Brink and Jones on the floor for 35 min each. They combined to shoot 6-32 (0-10)

Hope we get an eye witness account.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

No, for some reason pac-12.com was not blocked for me (it usually is), and I'm still watching the studio show.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/15/23 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

No, for some reason pac-12.com was not blocked for me (it usually is), and I'm still watching the studio show.

Well, spill some tea here, Glenn....how did it all go down? Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:

Well, spill some tea here, Glenn....how did it all go down? :shock: :shock:

After watching the UConn game and assuming for a long time I couldn't get the Stanford game, I by chance clicked on the pac-12.com link and got to watch only the last 4 minutes, which took about 20 minutes to play. USC was up 47-39 and both teams were shooting about 30% from the floor.

The announcers were raving about the great defense USC had played all game, and assuredly Stanford couldn't do anything against that defense for the last four minutes. There was no offensive teamwork at all, and all the Cardinal did was chuck up desparation three's that missed, except one by Prechtel, or go on wild drives that missed, except one by Jones. Even though Stanford got a lot of O-boards on their misses, they still couldn't make a shot except for the two mentioned plus two free throws.

On defense during the last four minutes, Stanford was basically in desperation mode the whole time, repeatedly fouling USC and sending them to the FTL. USC's last 9 points, from 8:47 to the buzzer, were all from the FTL.

In short, Stanford couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the paint or arc, and some significant part of that was USC's very tough defense.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you. Even The Elite can have an off game.

It's really too bad for us here on the East Coast that they don't schedule a few more PAC games on espn, fox, or the cbs sports networks.

PostPosted: 01/16/23 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

It's really too bad for us here on the East Coast that they don't schedule a few more PAC games on espn, fox, or the cbs sports networks.

Who said they lost from an off night? They got out played!

Howee

PostPosted: 01/16/23 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

These kinds of upsets are always the product of the underdog playing harder/better than their average. If you follow Stanford, you know just how atypical an outing it was for The Cardinal, just by the box score.....lotsa stats way off Stanford's averages. Now, of course The Trojan's exceptional defense, etc., contributed to that. But Stanford has readily overcome teams far superior to SoCal. They certainly had an "off game".

Another factor that had to contribute to the off night concept: the PF differential (23 - Stanford, 9 - SoCal) smacks of some good ol' homecookin' by the refs, but.....I can't attest to that.

PostPosted: 01/17/23 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

These kinds of upsets are always the product of the underdog playing harder/better than their average. If you follow Stanford, you know just how atypical an outing it was for The Cardinal, just by the box score.....lotsa stats way off Stanford's averages. Now, of course The Trojan's exceptional defense, etc., contributed to that. But Stanford has readily overcome teams far superior to SoCal. They certainly had an "off game".

Another factor that had to contribute to the off night concept: the PF differential (23 - Stanford, 9 - SoCal) smacks of some good ol' homecookin' by the refs, but.....I can't attest to that.

When any team plays the top dog, they're likely to come out loaded for bear. That's the sum total of it.

PostPosted: 01/17/23 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

When any team plays the top dog, they're likely to come out loaded for bear. That's the sum total of it.

Nah, not the *entire* sum....All top teams are subject to this phenomenon, and the best overcome that by remaining on top. Unless they have an off game: this is as real as an underdog playing out of their heads. I'm pretty certain Stanford could prove this by beating them 4 out of 5 games. Wink

PostPosted: 01/17/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

Nah, not the *entire* sum....All top teams are subject to this phenomenon, and the best overcome that by remaining on top. Unless they have an off game: this is as real as an underdog playing out of their heads. I'm pretty certain Stanford could prove this by beating them 4 out of 5 games. Wink

Stanford and SCar have both had first halves where the score was surprisingly close at the half. In all but this game they had late-game rallies.
In the NCAA's one game like that out of 6 puts you on a bus home.
I don't get to see Stanford unless they are on a major network. I wonder how much effort Tara put into preparing her team for SCal compared to say SCar?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/17/23 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

Pure third grade analyses, blame and excuses...You didn't even see the game. They got beat fair and square. They didn't give the game away, they played as hard as they normally do. Actually, it could have been worse, like 20 points.

Good defense wins games, reading box scores doesn't. Sometimes, you have to except the other teams better performance on a given night. In this case, USC played a better game.

I'm a Stanford fan but I accept the fact that they got outplayed. It happens.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/23 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ummm, *I* said it. Razz

Pure third grade analyses, blame and excuses...You didn't even see the game. They got beat fair and square. They didn't give the game away, they played as hard as they normally do. Actually, it could have been worse, like 20 points.

Good defense wins games, reading box scores doesn't. Sometimes, you have to except the other teams better performance on a given night. In this case, USC played a better game.

I'm a Stanford fan but I accept the fact that they got outplayed. It happens.

Ahhh.....I forgot you're the expert analyst. Laughing And, YOU saw the game. Good. No one - not me, at least - said they 'gave the game away'. And SoCal deserves full credit for a 'better game'....against a team that IS better and wasn't playing up to their usual standard. And I'll gladly give it to them again, the NEXT time they beat Stanford. You let me know when that happens, punkin'. Wink

PostPosted: 01/18/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As good as Stanford is, the fact that Jones can't shoot from three is a major problem. When she's outside, her defender plays six feet off her. Instead of having 3 or 4 three shooters on the floor at the same time, we now have 2 or maybe 2 1/2. So defenses can smartly pack the paint, guard Hannah, and dare others to beat them.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 01/18/23 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game is about to tip on PAC12 Bay Area.

FYI, fuboTV carries the PAC12 networks in their extra sports package.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/18/23 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
As good as Stanford is, the fact that Jones can't shoot from three is a major problem. When she's outside, her defender plays six feet off her. Instead of having 3 or 4 three shooters on the floor at the same time, we now have 2 or maybe 2 1/2. So defenses can smartly pack the paint, guard Hannah, and dare others to beat them.

Yeah, her (low!) 20s % from the arc is NOT gonna impress the pro scouts, if she's hoping to play the 2 or 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: