RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Referee Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/22 4:25 pm    ::: Referee Question Reply Reply with quote

I know that conferences share referees. For some years, JMU was in the CAA and the referees were shared with the ACC. I always felt like the CAA got the absolute dregs of the bunch, too. Now JMU has moved to the Sun Belt and I have no idea where the referees are coming from, if they are shared with another conference and if so, which one.

Does anyone know, or have a list of, what conferences share referees with which other ones? I'm quite curious and also hoping that the quality of the ones we get this year in conference play are better than the ones we dealt with previously.

PostPosted: 12/03/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless something has changed, basketball officials aren't tied to a conference.

They seem to be more regional, based on where they live. Cuts down on travel expenses, plus it allows for the ref to call more games than if they are travelling coast-to-coast.

Of course the better, more experienced refs will do the bigger schools/conferences because the can pay more.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/03/22 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many refs will work with various conferences and even go between Division I, Division II and Division III, I think some will also do NAIA and JC. Most refs want to continue to get better and work their way up to working Power 5 conference games and getting chosen for NCAA tournament games. Most is not uncommon for a ref to work in difference conferences in the same week, and not all refs within a specific region will associated with all the conferences for example you may have some refs work Pac-12, Big West and WCC, and then others that do Pac-12, Mountain West and Big Sky, and others that do some other type of combination of those conferences or others in the same general area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: