RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 Ohio St @ #18 Louisville - 11/30/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/30/22 7:04 pm    ::: #4 Ohio St @ #18 Louisville - 11/30/22 Reply Reply with quote

Louisville, KY - 7:30 PM ET
TV: ACC Network (Beth Mowins, Debbie Antonelli)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=f01062fa-aba8-450f-acbf-067e10d4b191 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://v7player.wostreaming.net/8861

Live stats:
https://gocards.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/22 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can anyone stand to listen to these two? I tried for a few minutes but they didn't talk about the game at all. Does this happen in men's games that the announcers just talk randomly about anything and everything and never mention what is happening on the floor? It just blows my mind.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/30/22 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OSU cranking up the defense to go on a 11 point run. They are now down by 2.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
can anyone stand to listen to these two? I tried for a few minutes but they didn't talk about the game at all. Does this happen in men's games that the announcers just talk randomly about anything and everything and never mention what is happening on the floor? It just blows my mind.

No, it doesn't. And they always seem to have picked a favorite team, coach and player over whom they incessantly slobber. It's like they left the chapter on "objectivity" out of the textbook in WBB broadcasting school.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 11/30/22 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Have you ever listened to Dick Vitale?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have seen this early season a remarkable number of brain dead fouls on 3 pt shots like Russel's on Mikesell. There is absolutely no point in lunging at a player after the ball is released 26 feet from the basket. You got beat, let it go, don't compound your bad defense.

Is nobody coaching and teaching any more?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Vitale is overly enthusiastic but knows more basketball than all of these announcers put together.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did they just call OhSt over Tenn a "marquis" win? Seriously?

bucks4now

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Vitale is overly enthusiastic but knows more basketball than all of these announcers put together.

It's not about his knowledge, he doesn't talk about the game. He talks about all his "friends". How many times have you heard him say, "Robert Montgomery Knight." for example.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't say that I cared a lot who wins, but after hearing the ACC shills, I'm happy to see OhSU shut them up...maybe.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that was certainly a cheap shot by Louisville.

I am sick and tired of these ESPN women's announcers excusing all of that crap by calling it a "basketball move" or "just a play on the ball". Please show me where those excuses exist in the rulebook.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I can't say that I cared a lot who wins, but after hearing the ACC shills, I'm happy to see OhSU shut them up...maybe.

Really? I thought they were cheering for OhSt throughout and pumping up their inflated ranking.

I have mixed reactions. I prefer to see the ACC win, but I like McGuff and I'm always happy to see Walz lose.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My biggest takeaway is that Louisville can't defend the lane. Ohio St drove at the basket at will in the second half.

How's that going to work against teams with good, big, quick slashing guards like UNC and ND?

Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent, entertaining game. The defensive pace by Ohio State was impressive. Not having seen either of these play yet this season, I didn't know what to expect re: ranking validity. Not sure the Buckeyes are REALLY a #4, but they certainly belong in the Top 8, imo. It's going to be interesting to see how the Big Ten plays out, but I'd not be shocked if Ohio State owns it.

L'ville was actually better than I anticipated. They clearly were out-hustled, in the end, but....Ohio State's energy and intensity is as good as any team I've seen this season.

Of the numerous "dig a big hole, then comeback big 'n win" games this season, this was one of the more entertaining. I was actually rooting for L'ville, but Ohio earned this one righteously.

PostPosted: 12/01/22 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I watch a lot of sports. Antonelli is the worst analyst in all of sports broadcasting. Her blatant bias towards certain teams and players is totally unprofessional.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/01/22 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I watch a lot of sports. Antonelli is the worst analyst in all of sports broadcasting. Her blatant bias towards certain teams and players is totally unprofessional.

I think Antonelli knows the game of basketball well and delivers good insights about what's happening on the court, but I totally agree about the bias towards certain players. I've heard her do at least two Louisvillle games this year where she's droned on and on about Mykasa Robinson as an ACC DPOY candidate. It's like she had her mind made up about it before a single game was even played...

PostPosted: 12/01/22 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think Antonelli knows the game of basketball well and delivers good insights about what's happening on the court, but I totally agree about the bias towards certain players. I've heard her do at least two Louisvillle games this year where she's droned on and on about Mykasa Robinson as an ACC DPOY candidate. It's like she had her mind made up about it before a single game was even played...

....and it might not be QUITE so bad if she didn't repeat certain ideas and opinions 18 times. Razz She and Peck are a pair that way....

I DO like the different human-interest stories she shares; I liked hearing about Jaci's little sister, a given player's background, Jeff & Kevin's affair....that always adds a nice dimension.

PostPosted: 12/01/22 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yup! She is so smart and knowledgeable and she is really good calling men's basketball, because there is no emotion with it being "our game," as she calls the women's game. I appreciate her dedication and love for the sport, but she's just a lot.

Things she has beaten to death:

**Dana Evans as NPOY in 2021.
**Candace Parker as WNBA DPOY in the Wubble, when just about anyone in the league deserved it more than her(and she and the Sparks PR team actually got her the award.
**Arike Ogubowale and how good she was going "downhill"
**Mikasa Robison ACC DPOY
**Asia Durr-everything
**Everything Staley & Boston

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/01/22 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yup! She is so smart and knowledgeable and she is really good calling men's basketball, because there is no emotion with it being "our game," as she calls the women's game. I appreciate her dedication and love for the sport, but she's just a lot.

**Candace Parker as WNBA DPOY in the Wubble, when just about anyone in the league deserved it more than her(and she and the Sparks PR team actually got her the award.
**Asia Durr-everything

What makes her any different from Lobo ? Or Peck ? They all have their preferred droolers they like to consistently talk about every time they call a game.

PostPosted: 12/01/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

**Asia Durr-everything

What makes her any different from Lobo ? Or Peck ? They all have their preferred droolers they like to consistently talk about every time they call a game.

Oh, Debbbbbieeeee is far far far diffferent than them all.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/01/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some UConn fans aren't handling very well the fact that UConn is no longer the center of the wcbb universe and no longer has the benefit of EVERY announcer drooling over every little thing any UConn player or coach says or does.

Talk about getting beaten to death by announcers! The entire rest of the wbb fanbase has been sick to death of announcers drooling over UConn for literally years.

So, yeah, Debbie Antonelli has her pet players and teams. BFD.

And, for those who have missed it, I have been highly complimentary of UConn players and Coach Geno both this year and previous years. They've been the gold standard of wcbb for over a decade. But there are new kids in town and they deserve their spotlight.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/02/22 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Some UConn fans aren't handling very well the fact that UConn is no longer the center of the wcbb universe and no longer has the benefit of EVERY announcer drooling over every little thing any UConn player or coach says or does.

Talk about getting beaten to death by announcers! The entire rest of the wbb fanbase has been sick to death of announcers drooling over UConn for literally years.

So, yeah, Debbie Antonelli has her pet players and teams. BFD.

And, for those who have missed it, I have been highly complimentary of UConn players and Coach Geno both this year and previous years. They've been the gold standard of wcbb for over a decade. But there are new kids in town and they deserve their spotlight.

_________________________ X

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: