RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will covid disrupt another season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/22/22 2:10 am    ::: Will covid disrupt another season? Reply Reply with quote

Covid is back on the upswing and masks are few and far between. Plus, the unvaccinated, unmasked will be swarming the stadiums while covid is on the upswing again. I've received five vaxxes, including the bivalent and I laid shivering under covers for two weeks. Of course I'm significantly older than these young women. Reported local rate of infection increased by 100% last week - and that's just the reported cases. I'm quite certain there's a ton more going unreported, with home testing, self quaranting going on. Rates are climbing faster in colder climates.

How might it impact this season? Will stadiums require vaxxing or masking?

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/22/22 5:53 am    ::: Re: Will covid disrupt another season? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Covid is back on the upswing and masks are few and far between. Plus, the unvaccinated, unmasked will be swarming the stadiums while covid is on the upswing again. I've received five vaxxes, including the bivalent and I laid shivering under covers for two weeks. Of course I'm significantly older than these young women. Reported local rate of infection increased by 100% last week - and that's just the reported cases. I'm quite certain there's a ton more going unreported, with home testing, self quaranting going on. Rates are climbing faster in colder climates.

How might it impact this season? Will stadiums require vaxxing or masking?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some games cancelled/postponed due to outbreaks among teams.

I don't see them requiring vaccines or masks unless it gets to 2020 levels. And really, if it gets to that level, they will just close the games to fans or cancel the season again. I think that they will take more of a "you do you" approach.

My guess is that there are a lot of teams that are completely vaxxed. The players don't want to sit out or have games cancelled. They will do what they need to in order to play.

*I don't want to hijack this thread so this will be my only mention of this here, but, before anyone says anything about the players not wanting to get vaxxed, please read current reports about Huntington University in northeast Indiana's track/field and cross country programs. Players will do what they need to in order to compete. If these athletes allowed themselves (in most cases it seems) to be injected with an unknown substance in order to run, I don't think that it's hard to see where athletes will get injected with a "known" substance in order to compete. USA Today had an in-depth article yesterday about it (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2022/10/04/huntington-university-indiana-running-program-doping-sexual-abuse/8177533001/) so maybe it will show up free somewhere. Until then, there's this: https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/huntington-university-makes-statement-on-lawsuit/

(Huntington University is where Darby Maggard is coach and it the town where Dan Quayle is from.)

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/22/22 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, unless somebody straight up collapses on the court, dies, or something equally dramatic... nope. Too many people are too desperate to get back to normal that they will allow nothing to stand in the way of resuming their routine. After three years, treating COVID as a pandemic disease is going to be seen as a paranoid overreaction, and I don’t think any WBB program is going to risk that.

(I’m trying to post as non-judgmentally as possible here. This isn’t Area 51, and while I have my own opinions about the matter, this isn’t the place for them.)

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/22/22 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think so. Look, viruses mutate. It's what they do to stay alive. Some of the new variants will be nasty, some, not so much. Live smart, live healthy, stay home when you are sick, wear a mask if you are immune suppressed or experiencing any symptoms of anything, and get your boosters.

Here endeth the lesson.

PostPosted: 10/22/22 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think schools will allow their seasons to be disrupted, but I also expect we're going to see some superspreader events occur. The flashpoint for mandating masks and vaccines and shutting down public gatherings won't come until our healthcare system is completely overwhelmed and collapses.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/22/22 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can HOPE things remain status quo, with no radical upswings.

Knowing people who've been totally vaxxed AND have had it still break through 2x or more, I think that's a factor in play here: (almost) no one is as panicked as we were in 2020, and feel they're FAR less likely to die than we were 2 years ago.

Winter brings other factors into play, but one certainly doesn't see any big concerns among huge crowds at things like football games or baseball games at THIS time of year....will that mindset carry over? Might there be a nasty-azz *new version* on the horizon??

PostPosted: 10/22/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Knowing people who've been totally vaxxed AND have had it still break through 2x or more, I think that's a factor in play here: (almost) no one is as panicked as we were in 2020, and feel they're FAR less likely to die than we were 2 years ago.

Winter brings other factors into play, but one certainly doesn't see any big concerns among huge crowds at things like football games or baseball games at THIS time of year....will that mindset carry over? Might there be a nasty-azz *new version* on the horizon??

Football and baseball are both outside, which makes a difference. I'm more concerned about unmasked indoor crowds spreading something nasty to players and staff.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/22/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Football and baseball are both outside, which makes a difference. I'm more concerned about unmasked indoor crowds spreading something nasty to players and staff.

All those people are voluntarily assuming the increased risk of acquiring COVID by entering a crowded setting without a mask. I'm more concerned about them spreading this virus around the community, as well as another winter of delayed medical care for non-COVID patients once the hospitals are full again.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/23/22 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Howee wrote:

All those people are voluntarily assuming the increased risk of acquiring COVID by entering a crowded setting without a mask. I'm more concerned about them spreading this virus around the community, as well as another winter of delayed medical care for non-COVID patients once the hospitals are full again.

I am also highly concerned about the unmasked people who continue to spread this wicked virus far and wide. But in this thread, I'm specifically concerned about the athletes and staff who play games in this environment and how this might impact them this season.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/24/22 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/quote]

I am also highly concerned about the unmasked people who continue to spread this wicked virus far and wide. But in this thread, I'm specifically concerned about the athletes and staff who play games in this environment and how this might impact them this season.[/quote]

I'm more concerned about the unvaccinated (against all diseases) but this isn't really the place to have that discussion. I suspect that most, if not all, teams (places like Liberty "University" probably excepted) insist on their players getting their vaccinations and boosters, and even though those aren't 100%, they are pretty effective.

PostPosted: 10/24/22 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I am also highly concerned about the unmasked people who continue to spread this wicked virus far and wide. But in this thread, I'm specifically concerned about the athletes and staff who play games in this environment and how this might impact them this season.

I get that, but....the sad reality is that "athletes and staff" aren't cloistered; they go to various stores, hairdressers, restaurants and (other) event venues so, as the local community goes, so goes the hometown university.

Again, I GOTTA keep the faith that Covid is under far better control than 2 years ago, and life will be more like 2018 than 2020 for this season.

PostPosted: 10/24/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I get that, but....the sad reality is that "athletes and staff" aren't cloistered; they go to various stores, hairdressers, restaurants and (other) event venues so, as the local community goes, so goes the hometown university.

Again, I GOTTA keep the faith that Covid is under far better control than 2 years ago, and life will be more like 2018 than 2020 for this season.

^^^^THIS^^^^

PostPosted: 11/25/22 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Covid appears to have disrupted the upcoming Gonzaga vs EWU matchup

https://gozags.com/news/2022/11/25/womens-basketball-wbb-schedule-update.aspx

Quote:
Saturday's women's basketball game between Gonzaga and Eastern Washington has been postponed.

Due to institution health and safety protocols, both teams mutually agreed to postpone the game and look for a date to reschedule. Tickets purchased for Saturday's game will be honored for the rescheduled date.

The Zags are scheduled to host Maine on Nov. 28.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/26/22 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Covid appears to have disrupted the upcoming Gonzaga vs EWU matchup

https://gozags.com/news/2022/11/25/womens-basketball-wbb-schedule-update.aspx

Quote:
Saturday's women's basketball game between Gonzaga and Eastern Washington has been postponed.

Due to institution health and safety protocols, both teams mutually agreed to postpone the game and look for a date to reschedule. Tickets purchased for Saturday's game will be honored for the rescheduled date.

The Zags are scheduled to host Maine on Nov. 28.

Not at all surprised. I noticed that one ref in the Iowa/Oregon St. game last night was wearing a mask.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: