RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 12 2022-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 10/07/22 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I go on shaking my head at why the Dallas Wings employ the coach of the B12's consistently worst team as an analyst.

Should be her full-time job come May

PostPosted: 10/07/22 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I go on shaking my head at why the Dallas Wings employ the coach of the B12's consistently worst team as an analyst.

Should be her full-time job come May

the problem is that she's terrible at that job as well. I find myself hitting the mute button almost as soon as she comes on.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/08/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
Howee wrote:

Coach Budke and Andrea Riley - now THERE was some fun Bedlam! Very Happy

I can't let an Andrea Riley reference go by without posting one of the weirdest boxscores I've ever seen.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=300710066

That one was a hoot....can you imagine it: there was a TOTAL of 3 assists, all dished out by Andrea. And SHE scores 43 pts with no one giving HER any assists. Razz (ANDDD....she never had a real pro career! Shocked)

okstateguy wrote:
Kansas State:
Lee/Greer/Lauterbach

Is Ayoka back at K-State?

PostPosted: 10/08/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

okstateguy wrote:
Kansas State:
Lee/Greer/Lauterbach

Is Ayoka back at K-State?

she's injured and out for the year. Crying or Very sad think okstateguy posted that before the injury Crying or Very sad

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/10/22 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
Howee wrote:

Coach Budke and Andrea Riley - now THERE was some fun Bedlam! Very Happy

I can't let an Andrea Riley reference go by without posting one of the weirdest boxscores I've ever seen.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=300710066

Shees 44 shots for Riley entire team had 68 heck ISU only had 51. Talk about trusting teammates LOL Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/10/22 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, it gets even more wild when you consider the following:

"Riley made 6 of her first 7 shots, then missed 17 in a row before warming up again late in the game to carry the seventh-seeded Cowboys into a Saturday semifinal against Baylor or Oklahoma."

Howee

PostPosted: 10/10/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ANDDDD....in 2010, Andrea earned the Nancy Lieberman Award as the most outstanding point guard, over Danielle Robinson, Courtney Vandersloot and Sammy Prahalis. Shocked

And she only went 3 seasons in the wnba on 3 different teams. 5'5" probably didn't help her cause, but still....shorter gals than her have played longer than that in the pros, like Tameka Johnson. I don't think Andrea was ever considered stellar on the defensive end of things, but....she certainly knew how to score.

PostPosted: 10/11/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A volume shooter who shot 35% from the floor and less than 30% from the downtown winning the award over Vandersloot who shot 47% from the floor, with a 14.1ppg, and 9.4apg average while having double the steals that Riley did that season was....not my favorite award.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/11/22 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
A volume shooter who shot 35% from the floor and less than 30% from the downtown winning the award over Vandersloot who shot 47% from the floor, with a 14.1ppg, and 9.4apg average while having double the steals that Riley did that season was....not my favorite award.

Agreed , clearly was a media award where points scored in a game got you ESPN highlights for 5 seconds back then bringing "Visibility" to the women's game without showing the true efficiency . I remember folks were gasping when Riley fell so low in the WNBA draft and im like ....do you not see what i saw from her in college ? Great motor but not a team player with low efficiency and a lot of bad shots taken from 30 to 40 feet with the occasional one of 14 going in only giving more confidence to a player with a betty lennox mindset. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 11/14/22 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A quick rundown of the basic stats and KenPom rankings for through this Sunday. If it holds up, this is gonna be a fun league to watch.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HMHkOqvLRq9wEkZOypYdXslbCo5yioZCfzAQd7Detao/edit#gid=0

PostPosted: 11/15/22 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andrea Riley got a lot of unfair criticism for shooting so much throughout her college career, but that was Coach Budke’s game plan. She did exactly what he asked of her.

Not a team player?

She finished in the top 10 nationally in assists per game her junior (2008-09) and senior season (2009-10).

Riley led the Big 12 with 6.5 apg her senior season (for comparison, Danielle Robinson averaged 5.3 apg that season), and Riley’s 220 assists that season were fourth on the single-season list in Big 12 history. Riley also set an OSU single game record and tied the league’s single game record with 17 assists that season.

Riley finished her college career with 707 assists in 131 games played for OSU. For comparison, Danielle Robinson finished her college career with 726 assists in 141 games played for Oklahoma, while playing on teams with much more talent (remember the Paris twins?).

If the coaches are asking her to take 50 shots, and her teammates are supporting the decision, would Riley be a team player if she refused?

Riley did what the coaches asked of her, and was liked and supported by her teammates. She was a 5’5” guard who was (often) asked to put the weight of the whole program on her back and carry them to victory.

If you want to criticize someone for that game plan, it should be the coaches who put Riley in that position.

Quote:
Despite Riley’s struggles that led to the Cyclones taking the lead, OSU coach Kurt Budke remained confident in his star. Budke talked to Riley before the start of the second half and offered his support to the struggling senior.
“I just told her that I believe in her and I have believed in her for four years,” Budke said. “I said if you shoot 50 shots tonight and we lose, that’s OK. But I bet you we win if you do.”

Riley listened to Budke’s suggestions and once again took over during the second half. With Oklahoma State trailing the Cyclones 47–46, Riley had a near perfect final eight minutes.
Riley made seven of her last 10 shots and made four consecutive clutch free throws to seal the game.
“In the game of basketball, it’s always up and down,” Riley said. “Sometimes you’re just not going to stay hot. So I had just had to listen to my coaches and my teammates who continued to be in my ear, and I’m glad and appreciate how much they support me and have so much confidence in me. They really made me push it at the end.”

Fennelly took much of the blame for the defensive strategy against Riley that allowed her to take 44 shots.

“She’s so dynamic with the ball, we wanted to try and make her take tough shots,” Fennelly said. “I take 100 percent responsibility for the game plan, but that was the only chance we had to win the game.”

Quote:
"I never think about how many times I shoot," Riley said. "Coach Budke told me if they're going to give you that shot, I don't care if you take 50 shots -- and I got close."

Said Budke: "That's true. That's what I told her."

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/21/22 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HMHkOqvLRq9wEkZOypYdXslbCo5yioZCfzAQd7Detao/edit#gid=0

For those wanting a snapshot of where the teams are

PostPosted: 11/22/22 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm.....it's been a while since TX found themselves in the basement - probably will change soon enough, I hope. Them and TN!

funkdafied wrote:

Quote:
"I never think about how many times I shoot," Riley said. "Coach Budke told me if they're going to give you that shot, I don't care if you take 50 shots -- and I got close."

Said Budke: "That's true. That's what I told her."

I remember those pressers, and yeah, that mindset DID help OK St, while they had her. It definitely did NOT do her any favors at the next level.

PostPosted: 11/23/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Iowa State: https://cyclones.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

Depth:
Ryan/Espenmiller-McGraw/Dawkins/King
Donarski/Fritz
Joens/Diew
Kane/Vick
Soares/Jordao/Zingaro

Ryan, Donarski, and Joens gives them an offensive juggernaut to build around. Soares gives much needed depth and height in the post. Lack of guard depth, ironically, could end up being their downfall. Picking up a last-minute guard could definitely solidify the as a Final Four contender

I don't see guard depth as a big issue simply because ISU tends to run Ryan/Donarski/Joens basically 40 minutes every game except blowouts. But I suppose being able to dial that down to 30-35 would make ISU better.

As an ISU fan, here's how I see the depth chart:

Ryan/Dawkins/Donarski/King
Donarski/Fritz
Joens/Fritz/Espenmiller-McGraw
Diew/Espenmiller-McGraw/Vick/other backup posts
Soares/Kane/Jordao/Zingaro

Diew started the last six games of the season as well as joining Ryan/Donarski/Joens on a very successful 3x3 team at Nationals -- barring injury, I don't see her on the bench to start the season.

Fennelly is also very high on Fritz, who was a starter as a freshman last season prior to getting hurt three games in.

ISU only lost two players from last year's roster:
    Grad transfer Maddie Frederick, who played less than 200 minutes in her 3-year career
    Transfer Aubrey Joens, who was huge in non-conference last season and completely disappeared once conference season started. In 12 non-conference games she scored 13.0 ppg in 32.6 mpg. In 22 conference/postseason games, she scored 2.5 ppg in 15.2 mpg, including a combined 0 points in 49 minutes in ISU's three NCAA Tournament games.

ISU essentially has three newcomers:
    Fritz, not a newcomer but was injured almost all of last season.
    Dawkins, a bit of an unknown quantity as a freshman PG
    Soares, who will hopefully shore up ISU's weakest spot last season -- post play

Barring injury, and taking into account players improving year-to-year, ISU should be much improved over its sweet sixteen team last season.

Question---how did Aubrey Joens' stage daddy ever let her transfer fron ISU? I'm serious.

PostPosted: 11/23/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Depth:
Donarski/Fritz
Joens/Diew
Kane/Vick
Soares/Jordao/Zingaro

Ryan, Donarski, and Joens gives them an offensive juggernaut to build around. Soares gives much needed depth and height in the post. Lack of guard depth, ironically, could end up being their downfall. Picking up a last-minute guard could definitely solidify the as a Final Four contender

I don't see guard depth as a big issue simply because ISU tends to run Ryan/Donarski/Joens basically 40 minutes every game except blowouts. But I suppose being able to dial that down to 30-35 would make ISU better.

Donarski/Fritz

Diew started the last six games of the season as well as joining Ryan/Donarski/Joens on a very successful 3x3 team at Nationals -- barring injury, I don't see her on the bench to start the season.

Fennelly is also very high on Fritz, who was a starter as a freshman last season prior to getting hurt three games in.

Grad transfer Maddie Frederick, who played less than 200 minutes in her 3-year career
    Transfer Aubrey Joens, who was huge in non-conference last season and completely disappeared once conference season started. In 12 non-conference games she scored 13.0 ppg in 32.6 mpg. In 22 conference/postseason games, she scored 2.5 ppg in 15.2 mpg, including a combined 0 points in 49 minutes in ISU's three NCAA Tournament games.

Barring injury, and taking into account players improving year-to-year, ISU should be much improved over its sweet sixteen team last season.

Question---how did Aubrey Joens' stage daddy ever let her transfer from ISU? I'm serious.

PostPosted: 11/23/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Depth:
Donarski/Fritz
Joens/Diew
Kane/Vick
Soares/Jordao/Zingaro

Donarski/Fritz

Question---how did Aubrey Joens' stage daddy ever let her transfer from ISU? I'm serious.

PostPosted: 11/24/22 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Question---how did Aubrey Joens' stage daddy ever let her transfer fron ISU? I'm serious.

Aubrey was passed on the depth chart by Fritz, Diew, and Espenmiller-McGraw. It seems everyone agreed she'd be better off transferring if she wanted guaranteed playing time, and it appears there are no hard feelings on either side. Kelsey, the fourth Joens girl (of five) signed her NLI with Iowa State earlier this month

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/29/22 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Week 3:

Big 12 Women's Basketball Players of the Week
Player:
Nov. 14: Gabby Gregory, Kansas State
Nov. 21: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Nov. 28: Stephanie Soares, Iowa State

Freshman:
Nov. 14: Bella Fontleroy, Baylor
Nov. 21: Bailey Maupin, Texas Tech
Nov. 28: Jasmine Shavers, Texas Tech

Standings:
1. Kansas 5-0
2. Kansas St 7-1
T3. Iowa State, OU, Texas Tech 5-1
6. WVU 4-1
7. OK State 6-2
8. Baylor 5-2
9. Texas 3-3
10. TCU 2-3

PostPosted: 01/09/23 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pre-season XII coaches poll:
1. Iowa State
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Baylor
5. Kansas
6. Kansas state
7. Texas tech
8. West Virginia
9. Oklahoma State
10. TCU

By Thanksgiving, okstateguy's spread sheet re-arranged 'em like this:
1. Kansas
2. Kansas St.
3. Iowa St.
4. Oklahoma
5. Texas Tech
6. WVU
7. Oklahoma St.
8. Baylor
9. TCU
10.Texas

As of today:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Kansas
Iowa State
Texas
West Virginia
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
TCU

The Cellar seems to be holding up to predictions, but.....up above, a li'l bit o' musical chairs within the conference rankings.

Looking at the bigger picture the league's predictions were fairly accurate, too. In national rankings of the preseason teams, only Texas (#3), Iowa St. (#8 ) and Baylor (#18 ) were ranked in the top 25. As of today, Texas is not in that group, Iowa St. dropped to #15, Baylor remains @ #18, and Oklahoma (#19) and Kansas (#23) have moved into that list. So - if you go to the preseason rankings up above - it appears the coaches were pretty 'spot on' with their top 4, 'cept for Texas.

PostPosted: 01/14/23 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

As of today:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Kansas
Iowa State
Texas
West Virginia
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
TCU

And by the end of the weekend, the standings are:

Oklahoma
Iowa State
Baylor
Texas
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Kansas
Texas Tech
Kansas State
TCU

I do believe this is a much better picture at where the league is headed. OK State is underrated, especially if they can stay healthy. I foresee OU, ISU, Baylor, Texas, OK State, and Kansas making the NCAA Tournament

PostPosted: 01/18/23 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were two more Big 12 games on Sunday.

West Virginia: 74
Baylor: 65

Texas: 68
Iowa State: 53

Following the results of those two Big 12 games on Sunday, these are the current Big 12 standings, before the games tip-off tonight:

Oklahoma (4-1)
Texas (4-1)
Oklahoma State (3-2)
West Virginia (3-2)
Iowa State (3-2)
Baylor (3-2)
Kansas (2-3)
Texas Tech (2-3)
Kansas State (1-4)
TCU (0-5)

Howee

PostPosted: 01/18/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

funkdafied wrote:

Following the results of those two Big 12 games on Sunday, these are the current Big 12 standings, before the games tip-off tonight:

Oklahoma (4-1)
Texas (4-1)
Oklahoma State (3-2)
West Virginia (3-2)
Iowa State (3-2)
Baylor (3-2)
Kansas (2-3)
Texas Tech (2-3)
Kansas State (1-4)
TCU (0-5)

I can barely remember the last time Oklahoma was on top of the Big 12 - of course, it was back in the day when that conference was MUCH more powerful, but still.... Go Jenny B.!

PostPosted: 01/19/23 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TCU should go to a mid-major conference. JMU got their former PG and she is doing extremely well in the Sun Belt. Perhaps they are more suited not to play with the big boys and girls.

PostPosted: 01/20/23 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
TCU should go to a mid-major conference. JMU got their former PG and she is doing extremely well in the Sun Belt. Perhaps they are more suited not to play with the big boys and girls.

I think they could solve most of their issues by hiring a competent coach

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: