RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal Poly @ #2 Stanford - 11/16/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/16/22 2:29 am    ::: Cal Poly @ #2 Stanford - 11/16/22 Reply Reply with quote

Stanford, CA - 11:00 PM ET
TV: Pac-12 Network

Video stream:
https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2022/11/16/cal-poly-stanford (tvpli)

Audio:
https://gostanford.com/showcase?Live=1490

Live stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=433300

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/19/22 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/16/22 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah yes, another helpful preparation game and test to get ready for South Carolina! Laughing

You'd (or at least I'd) think Tara would have wanted to play someone at least halfway decent before taking on the Gamecocks. At least this one isn't on national tv.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/16/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure she wanted to, but it takes two to tango.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:

yep, Tara seems willing to take on all comers willing to do a home and home, but there aren't a lot of good teams willing to do that.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/16/22 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

yep, Tara seems willing to take on all comers willing to do a home and home, but there aren't a lot of good teams willing to do that.

Do either of you have inside knowledge about that? What makes you say/think that other teams don't want to play Stanford?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

Do either of you have inside knowledge about that? What makes you say/think that other teams don't want to play Stanford?

I've had several convo's with coach and assistants over the years. Part of it is just the cross country trek which is not appealing to most East Coast/MidWest teams unless they're trying to get a 'close to home' game for a senior. Part of it is simply not wanting to go that far when they think there's a good chance for an early loss. So yes, I've heard pretty much from the horse's mouth so to speak, that we are open to play just about anybody but that the anybodys willing to come out West are pretty limited.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 11/16/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not just Stanford. Barnes of UA recently said something similar. It is expensive to fly out west, plus some teams don't want to take a possible loss. Years ago I talked to Eileen Roche, who was Director of Basketball Ops at that point (I think that was her title). She did a lot of the scheduling work and told me how hard it was. Things are harder now. Tara has recently said the same thing. They did not finish the schedule until pretty late this season. They added a game at the very last minute (CSUN, played the first week of the season).

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/16/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

Why do you think so many teams would be lining up to play at Stanford or host Stanford? Just having Stanford on your schedule is not a prestigious thing that anyone would be honored to just play them, teams (especially ones that would be "preparation" for South Carolina) are going to want to schedules opponents they can win. And many west coast team don't have the money of other teams in other areas to offer for guarantee games.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/16/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Why do you think so many teams would be lining up to play at Stanford or host Stanford? Just having Stanford on your schedule is not a prestigious thing that anyone would be honored to just play them

I don't understand this comment. A legendary coach, third most national championships, perennial PAC12 champion. How many more prestigious opponents are there? Not many I can think of. They have to at least be in the top ten I would think.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/16/22 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Why do you think so many teams would be lining up to play at Stanford or host Stanford? Just having Stanford on your schedule is not a prestigious thing that anyone would be honored to just play them

I don't understand this comment. A legendary coach, third most national championships, perennial PAC12 champion. How many more prestigious opponents are there? Not many I can think of. They have to at least be in the top ten I would think.

I mean in the sense that if say Kansas or a team of similar level is looking to schedule a game they are going to look for an opponent they have a better shot of winning then having Stanford on their schedule just to say they played Stanford.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The good news for this game is that since Mary Murphy is doing the Utah-Ok game, she won't be doing this one!

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara at the half. 42-17... Unhappy with the offense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/17/22 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Jump is currently 8-15 from three and most of them wide open. Wouldn't you think the opponent would stick a defender on her like glue?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/17/22 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara solved the problem for Poly - by benching Jump for the 4th quarter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: