RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/20/22 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I enjoy getting a chuckle wherever I can get it! Ther is so much misery and negativity in the world. One of the things I enjoy around here is that some folks allow themselves to be silly - when they are not otherwise resorting to attacking people instead of opinions.

The thread is already on track to exceed the number of pages of other teams - lots of engagement!

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Dolson did as well as she did, although inconsistently (as usual). I don't know her (or anyone else's) contract status, but that seems not to matter as much these days. Do the Libs want her back? Does she want to return?

How many people are surprised that Joyner Holmes is still in the league? I didn't know she was!

Scattershot responses: I believe we are still on the hook for Stefanie Dolson’s contract for another year, but I would certainly be amenable to trading her to anyone who wants to pay her. She seems like a lovely person, but in WNBA terms we’re overpaying her.

There’s always this floating pool of career temps in the league- players who have reached their ceiling but are also at a very comfortable floor- who can be called upon by whoever, and I think Joyner Holmes has joined their numbers. You’re not going to teach them any new tricks, but if you’re signing them, you’re not looking for new tricks. Reshanda Gray is another example, possibly the prime example at this point.

I’m relieved that Sabrina got called up to the actual national team and hasn’t been permanently relegated to 3x3. Pessimist that I am, I assumed they were going to completely bypass her and she’d end up finding a way to kickstart the Romanian national team.

(now with spelling variations)
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC3uLXDD8rw

She looks good after injury ....Liberty may have a Gem on their hands next season .

PostPosted: 09/25/22 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

She looks good after injury ....Liberty may have a Gem on their hands next season .

A very bright spot for this team from Mali.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

A very bright spot for this team from Mali.

I think people have forgotten about her . Hopefully she comes over this season now that she's healthy and playing well .

PostPosted: 09/25/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what I’m hearing is that we need to trade for a South American player to complete our collection of players from every regularly inhabited continent? No, I am not including Antarctica, that’s just silly.

(now with spelling variations)
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/25/22 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So what I’m hearing is that we need to trade for a South American player to complete our collection of players from every regularly inhabited continent? No, I am not including Antarctica, that’s just silly.

Right now that means acquirig Damiris Dantas unless there's a young hidden gem.

~rAf
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/26/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Wait wasn't Antarctica where the White Line Defense was developed to
freeze your opponent ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/14/22 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adweek has named Keia Clarke one of 2022's Most Powerful Women in Sports. Congratulations, Keia!

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/adweeks-most-powerful-women-in-sports-are-breaking-barriers-and-shattering-glass-ceilings/

PostPosted: 12/20/22 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trigger warning: I am about to once again (with no shame) violate the firm rule here and dare to post about a former Liberty player. I am thrilled that the Atlanta Dream have signed Tanisha Wright to a five-year extension as head coach.

I loved Tanisha when she was our point guard. It was obvious how valuable she was to her teammates for her knowledge and leadership. Many rightly assumed that a terrific coaching career was ahead. How great that it is happening. GO TANISHA!!!

PostPosted: 01/01/23 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rights to Kylee Shook and Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe renounced, in case anyone missed it. By rule they had to get down to the limit of four old rights-held players by the end of the year, and went with the four foreign draft rights players over those two.

PostPosted: 01/01/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rights to Kylee Shook and Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe renounced, in case anyone missed it. By rule they had to get down to the limit of four old rights-held players by the end of the year, and went with the four foreign draft rights players over those two.

Thanks for posting this information. But I need a clarification: who are the "four foreign draft rights players"? I'm wondering about Marine Johannes, Han Xu, Marine Fauthoux, Sika Kone, and Raquela Carrera. I trust your knowledge of these matters 1000 times more than mine. So I'd be grateful if you could correct me here and explain whatever is relevant. Many thanks.

And while I'm writing: I have a list--not including anyone who'll be drafted--of 16 players that perhaps could be on the Liberty roster for 2023. I'm very curious as to who will and won't be--given the draft, free agency, and trades:

Allen, Cabrera, Dangerfield, Dolson, Fauthoux, Han, Howard, Ionescu, Johannes, Kone, Laney, Onyenwere, Richards, Sabally, Whitcomb (unrestricted free agent), Willoughby.

PostPosted: 01/01/23 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannes, Xu and Dangerfield will all be reserved (assuming New York give them qualifying offers). They don't count for these purposes because they were on the roster in 2022. But you left out Sabally, who does count. So the four they retained rights to were Sabally, Carrera, Kone and Fauthoux.

If she wants to, nothing to stop Shook (or Raincock-Ekunwe) from signing a training camp contract to come back anyway, though.

PostPosted: 01/01/23 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Johannes, Xu and Dangerfield will all be reserved (assuming New York give them qualifying offers). They don't count for these purposes because they were on the roster in 2022. But you left out Sabally, who does count. So the four they retained rights to were Sabally, Carrera, Kone and Fauthoux.

If she wants to, nothing to stop Shook (or Raincock-Ekunwe) from signing a training camp contract to come back anyway, though.

Thanks, Richyyy, for explaining this. I was way off.

PostPosted: 01/03/23 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is sort of step and repeat with last year too many players period

too many players we aren't sure will show up.

(I kind of like and root for everyone which is going to be hard with so many options)

Possibly everything sorts itself out with players not showing but my count

Guaranteed money (can't waive without paying)
Howard, Laney, Allen, Dolson, Ionescu, Willoughby

still on unprotected rookie contracts
Onyenwere, Richards

Reserved player (not under contract but can only negotiate with NY)
Johannes, Han Xu, Dangerfield

unsigned rookies (can only sign with us until renounced or rites are traded?)
N. Sabally, Kone, Fathoux, Carerra

UFA
Whitcomb

draft pick in range that you would assume would make team or be traded
pick #6

that is 17 (16 if we assume Whitcomb isn't re-signed) and that is before we court any other free agents some of whom would likely be so expensive we can only go with 11 on the roster.

I know I did this before but it still seems crazy to me. Very interesting problem to have.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/04/23 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I know I did this before but it still seems crazy to me. Very interesting problem to have.

Thanks for all the detail in your post. I'm with you; this is exactly why I posted what I did above. I am fascinated. Right now, I wouldn't get within 100 miles of a prediction as to which 11 or 12 players will be on the Liberty's opening night roster. About all I feel certain of is that Laney, Howard, and Ionescu will be on the roster. And I highly doubt that Sami Whitcomb will be back. For the other 12 players you've named, I say "maybe" and "maybe not," even the three with guaranteed contracts.

PostPosted: 01/12/23 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York has extended qualifying offers to Crystal Dangerfield, Marine Johannes, and Han Xu. Announced on Facebook an hour ago.

I'd be happy to see all of them on the court for our team in 2023. Can we have 15 players on the roster? Smile

PostPosted: 01/14/23 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
New York has extended qualifying offers to Crystal Dangerfield, Marine Johannes, and Han Xu. Announced on Facebook an hour ago.

I'd be happy to see all of them on the court for our team in 2023. Can we have 15 players on the roster? Smile

It's amazing how a change of scenery can have a positive affect on some athletes because I wonder how Dangerfield was so much better in NY than she was in MN.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/23 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twitter: Rachel Galligan
@RachGall

"Sources have informed
@Winsidr
that a three team trade is in the works and close to being finalized that would send 2021 MVP Jonquel Jones to the New York Liberty."

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
@RachGall

"Sources have informed
@Winsidr
that a three team trade is in the works and close to being finalized that would send 2021 MVP Jonquel Jones to the New York Liberty."

Just Wow! Shocked

That definitely changes the "math" for free agency!
It does make me a bit more nervous about Sloot though, because this probably increases the chance that Stewie stays with the Storm and Sloot heads that way. Them playing together in Turkey gave me pause too, but Emma is also there. Now maybe Sloot and Emma can convince Alina Iagupova to finally come on to the W and the Sky, specifically! That would be awesome! We shall see! Let the chaos begin!

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
@RachGall

"Sources have informed
@Winsidr

Just Wow! Shocked

It does make me a bit more nervous about Sloot though, because this probably increases the chance that Stewie stays with the Storm and Sloot heads that way. Them playing together in Turkey gave me pause too, but Emma is also there. Now maybe Sloot and Emma can convince Alina Iagupova to finally come on to the W and the Sky, specifically! That would be awesome! We shall see! Let the chaos begin!

Not finalized:

NY will get JJ, and Thornton
DAL will get Dangerfield, Howard
Con: #6 pick, B. Allen, and Ty Harris
-source Howard Megdal @howardmegdal twitter

NY could still move money around to sqeeze in Stewie??

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun actively trying to get worse? Clear losers in this to me by a wide margin.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
@RachGall

"Sources have informed
@Winsidr

Just Wow! Shocked

Hope so! Shocked

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
@RachGall

"Sources have informed
@Winsidr

Just Wow! Shocked

Not finalized:

NY will get JJ, and Thornton
DAL will get Dangerfield, Howard
Con: #6 pick, B. Allen, and Ty Harris
-source Howard Megdal @howardmegdal twitter

NY could still move money around to sqeeze in Stewie??

Yeah, I just saw Megdal post this and my goodness, this is great for NY but does not look like a good deal for the other teams....Interesting...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The Sun actively trying to get worse? Clear losers in this to me by a wide margin.

JJ for a #6, essentially? Is that all? Shocked Meanwhile CON probably helps NY free up more space for Stewart, their next door rival? OK… Confused

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Folks are tweeting Jones requested a trade to NY. Shocked

If this is the case, I would think CT would request a BOUNTY for her...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: