RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Magazine previews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/22 10:34 am    ::: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

Lindy's

1 South Carolina
2 Stanford
3 Tennessee
4 Louisville
5 Iowa
6 Notre Dame
7 LSU
8 Iowa State
9 Texas
10 NC State
11 North Carolina
12 Indiana
13 Virginia Tech
14 Ohio State
15 Connecticut
16 Maryland
17 Oklahoma
18 Baylor
19 Oregon
20 Arizona
21 Nebraska
22 South Dakota State
23 Creighton
24 Utah
25 Princeton

AA

1st
Aliyah Boston
Ayoka Lee
Caitlin Clark
Haley Jones
Ashley Joens

2nd
Aneesah Morrow
Cameron Brink
Elizabeth Kitley
Maddy Siegrist
Angel Reese

3rd
Cate Reese
Grace Berger
Taylor Robertson
Rori Harmon
Olivia Miles

PostPosted: 09/29/22 12:35 pm    ::: Re: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

1st
Ayoka Lee

Confused

Glad to see they are so well informed.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/29/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa and Iowa State are too high. Tennessee too, until they prove it.

UConn is too low, even without Bueckers. Oklahoma, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Texas, and possibly Maryland a bit low as well.

No idea what to do with the PAC teams outside of Stanford.

I expect to see Michigan on this list by Jan. 1. Won't have a chance for a ranked win any sooner, but their three opponents (UNC, Neb, Ohio State) leading up to the new year are all likely to be ranked or receiving votes.

PostPosted: 09/29/22 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah ???

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/29/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree that Tenn has to "prove it," but Kellie Harper made quite a haul from the transfer portal. The roster has been upgraded considerably from last year's which was decimated by injuries.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lindy's preview is credited to B.J. Rains, who appears to be a Boise State beat writer

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Iowa and Iowa State are too high.

I appreciate your posts (even if you are a Hawkeye), but Iowa State:

* Finished the year #10 in the AP poll, #8 in the coaches poll, and #10 in NET
    * Returns 91% of scoring, 88% of rebounding, and 96% of assists
    * In conference games, returns 96% of scoring, 92% of rebounding, and 98% of assists
    * Solidified their post rotation (the weakest spot last season) by bringing in a 6-6 2x NAIA National POY as a grad transfer
    * Brings back a freshman guard who started two games at the beginning of last season before a season-ending injury

How is a #8 preseason rank too high?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/30/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Iowa and Iowa State are too high.

I appreciate your posts (even if you are a Hawkeye), but Iowa State:

* Finished the year #10 in the AP poll, #8 in the coaches poll, and #10 in NET
    * Returns 91% of scoring, 88% of rebounding, and 96% of assists
    * In conference games, returns 96% of scoring, 92% of rebounding, and 98% of assists
    * Solidified their post rotation (the weakest spot last season) by bringing in a 6-6 2x NAIA National POY as a grad transfer
    * Brings back a freshman guard who started two games at the beginning of last season before a season-ending injury

Both Iowa and Iowa State
How is a #8 preseason rank too high?

Postseason rankings are pretty meaningless. Fact of the matter is, Iowa State failed to beat a single team that made the Sweet 16 last year.

Returning the vast majority of the core rotation is a good thing in terms of experience and team chemistry. But the roster doesn't just become magically more athletic over the summer. Same players back means the strengths are the same... and the weaknesses too.

Maybe Soares will be a difference maker. That would honestly be a very fun storyline to watch, and I'd certainly root for her to succeed in making that leap from NAIA to D1. But at this point, it's overly charitable to say that her presence on the roster suddenly "solidifies their post rotation." Objectively, all it does is underline a pre-existing question mark. My opinion might change after actually seeing her and ISU in action in November.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Postseason rankings are pretty meaningless.

What does this mean? Are all rankings meaningless? ISU was ranked between #6 and #15 all season in the AP poll, and between #5 and #16 in the coaches poll. And they were no lower than #10 in either poll since the beginning of February.

undersized_post wrote:

Fact of the matter is, Iowa State failed to beat a single team that made the Sweet 16 last year.

Fact of the matter is, ISU only played one team (Texas) that made the Sweet 16 last season. Granted, they played them three times and lost all three, although the last one was in OT.

undersized_post wrote:

Returning the vast majority of the core rotation is a good thing in terms of experience and team chemistry. But the roster doesn't just become magically more athletic over the summer. Same players back means the strengths are the same... and the weaknesses too.

If players don't improve from year to year, the coaches aren't doing their jobs.

undersized_post wrote:

Maybe Soares will be a difference maker. That would honestly be a very fun storyline to watch, and I'd certainly root for her to succeed in making that leap from NAIA to D1. But at this point, it's overly charitable to say that her presence on the roster suddenly "solidifies their post rotation."

Soares isn't some random late-bloomer who suddenly figured out things in NAIA. She was an 5-star recruit out of high school (per ESPN) who rejected a LOT of high-major interest to follow her heart to The Masters School, where her father and siblings attended and her mom once coached. In her three seasons at TMC (excluding her injury year) she dominated, averaging 19.0 ppg, 13.1 rpg, and 4.5 blocks/g over her career.

Kane and Jordao did a good job sharing the post position for ISU, but they are nowhere near all-conference quality. And I guarantee neither would be putting up those numbers in NAIA. That position is by far the most obvious area of weakness for ISU -- the other four positions are manned by three first-team all-conference performers with some very good young options for the other spot (Diew and Fritz, most notably).

mred

PostPosted: 09/30/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(double post)

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

responding to mred:

Yes all polls are meaningless in a way, but there's something about the postseason poll I find particularly vacuous. I think postseason play reveals a lot about which conferences and teams were stronger or weaker than the regular season polls accounted for. I don't find that that aspect is usually well reflected in the final poll, which tends to be rather perfunctory.

(The Big 12 in particular did not have a good showing...)

Yes Soares is an intriguing addition to the roster. You summarized her story and resume well. All I'm saying is, though the potential is there, I want to see more before I pencil her in for any awards or bump ISU up in my rankings.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

The B12 had the same winning percentage in the tournament as the ACC. Better than the SEC and P12.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
want to see more before I pencil her in for any awards or bump ISU up in my rankings.

Bump ISU up from where?

Again, Soares or not, I still don't understand how a team ranked roughly the same place as they ended the prior season and returning nearly 100% of production is overrated.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

The B12 had the same winning percentage in the tournament as the ACC. Better than the SEC and P12.

Win% of the conference as a whole is next to useless. The performance of middling teams who are expected to lose anyway skews the numbers beyond utility. I'm talking about the performance of the top of the conference. Half of the top-16 seeds from the Big 12 failed to advance out of their own regionals.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
want to see more before I pencil her in for any awards or bump ISU up in my rankings.

Bump ISU up from where?

Again, Soares or not, I still don't understand how a team ranked roughly the same place as they ended the prior season and returning nearly 100% of production is overrated.

Bump them up from their position in my own personal rankings, which bears resemblance neither to Lindy's nor to any postseason polls from last April. Twisted Evil

(Btw feel free to hate on Iowa if you wish. Wink The thing is I will probably agree with most all that you might say about them. Laughing )

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:23 pm    ::: Re: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Lindy's

1 South Carolina
2 Stanford
3 Tennessee
4 Louisville
5 Iowa
6 Notre Dame
7 LSU
8 Iowa State
9 Texas
10 NC State
11 North Carolina
12 Indiana
13 Virginia Tech
14 Ohio State
15 Connecticut
16 Maryland
17 Oklahoma
18 Baylor
19 Oregon
20 Arizona
21 Nebraska
22 South Dakota State
23 Creighton
24 Utah
25 Princeton

Observations:

1. 'My' Oregon is fine @19....I'd rather see them in the bottom half, and then make a gradual ascent, not vice versa. Of course, there's still the possibility the #19 ranking could deteriorate. Shocked No. Thank you.

2. CT is simply better than 15, even sans Buecker.

3. I know of at least one (journalist) source that believes Oklahoma could rule the Big 12. :shrug: Jenny B. IS fantastic, and has most of her firepower back, with some great new talent.

4. Utah? Utah. Why not? Razz

5. Duke is.....a potential Dark Horse? A mystery? Kara's really fortified her roster with ELEVEN transfers, notable players from schools like TX, L'ville, Georgia and Oregon St. I don't think they'll be off the list for long if they don't, indeed, make the first 'official' Top 25.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:39 pm    ::: Re: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

They lost their two best guards and only gained a pretty good post. I don't think they will even be the 4th best team in the P12. Six at best. More probably around 8. No way will they be anywhere close to top 25 nationally. Totally absurd.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:47 pm    ::: Re: Magazine previews Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

They lost their two best guards and only gained a pretty good post. I don't think they will even be the 4th best team in the P12. Six at best. More probably around 8. No way will they be anywhere close to top 25 nationally. Totally absurd.

But....but they got Kneepkens back. What more do you need?? Razz

(I DO know what you mean....I thought it was a mistake, too)

PostPosted: 09/30/22 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Bump them up from their position in my own personal rankings, which bears resemblance neither to Lindy's nor to any postseason polls from last April. Twisted Evil

Fair enough. If you think they were consistently overrated last season, then thinking they are overrated here isn't a logically inconsistent take, which is what had been bothering me. I don't AGREE with your take, but that's fine. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: