Board Junkies Forums

WNBA expansion could add 2 teams before 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 08/22/22 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What to know about the two bids to bring the WNBA to the Bay Area

Quote:
According to the Athletic, the average franchise value is around $43 million and the expansion fee would be $15 million-$20 million.

Engelbert previously estimated it would take 18-24 months to identify a market and prepare the group for its inaugural season, so time is running short for it to happen by the 2024 season.

Why the Bay Area makes sense to be home of WNBA’s next team

Quote:
With two ownership groups expressing interest in buying a team, the Bay Area has emerged as a legitimate target destination for the WNBA

There are two potential Bay Area ownership groups who’ve expressed interest in buying a team:

The Golden State Warriors and the

Oakland-based African American Sports and Entertainment Group (AASEG), an organization of prominent local Black business leaders with a Black women-led ownership group including 16-year WNBA star Alana Beard.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/22/22 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oof. This is not going to look good if the Warriors, who sat on their hands for a decade, swoops on after the AASEG started putting together a bid.

SPD

PostPosted: 09/12/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said Sunday, before the Las Vegas Aces took a 1-0 series lead in the WNBA Finals, the league has narrowed its focus to “about 10” cities that could host an expansion team. The WNBA had at least 100 cities under consideration where it did its due diligence, Engelbert said.

In regard to when those teams could be announced, Engelbert said she and the league “would love to announce by the end of the year.” Earlier this year, Engelbert said the goal is two teams that could begin play no later than the 2025 season."

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-expansion-plans-narrowed-to-10-cities-with-goal-to-announce-by-end-of-the-year-201815957.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

tfan

PostPosted: 09/13/22 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least one hundred cities under consideration?? It only makes sense if they have an owner or owner who have expressed interest in buying ja franchise and don't care where it is located. Otherwise, why study if Des Moines, Iowa or Huntsville Alabama could host a WNBA team.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/13/22 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
At least one hundred cities under consideration?? It only makes sense if they have an owner or owner who have expressed interest in buying ja franchise and don't care where it is located. Otherwise, why study if Des Moines, Iowa or Huntsville Alabama could host a WNBA team.

Hey, leave Des Moines out of this. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/13/22 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Yeah. I have no idea what this whole 10 cities jazz is. They should definitely study the viability of a city prior to awarding a franchise as we don't need weak ownership groups or unsustainable cities. Maybe they studied potential owners in these cities and are going to pitch the league to viable owners? Who knows. Just announce Bay Area and Philly already. Lol

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/13/22 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
tfan wrote:

Hey, leave Des Moines out of this. Laughing

You know these Big City Slickers don't like farm country or small towns.😁

PostPosted: 09/13/22 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
tfan wrote:

Yeah. I have no idea what this whole 10 cities jazz is. They should definitely study the viability of a city prior to awarding a franchise as we don't need weak ownership groups or unsustainable cities. Maybe they studied potential owners in these cities and are going to pitch the league to viable owners? Who knows. Just announce Bay Area and Philly already. Lol

According to the article for the Bay Area alone they have looked at 2 cities (San Francisco and Oakland), I also wouldn't be surprised if they looked at a few other cities near/around the Bay Area as well. So perhaps they are not just looking at 100 random cities, but in general areas like the Bay Area or even the Philly area that would be the best place to have a team. Also which area already has an arena suitable to play games, and how much would rent cost of said arena, plus is it on a college campus, or unused pro arena during the summer, or a mainly concert arena, there are many factors that the 100 cities makes sense to find the right place for a team, especially if the potential owner isn't saying it must be a specific city.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/22 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

There is a group in Fayetteville, AR pursuing a WNBA expansion team.

As long as there's a viable team in Uncasville, a town with a population under 12000, the W has very little grounds to dismiss cities for being too small.

PostPosted: 09/27/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oakland aggressive for a WNBA Expansion Team.

https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/09/24/oakland-city-council-calling-for-wnba-team-in-approved-resolution

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/27/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Oakland aggressive for a WNBA Expansion Team.

https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/09/24/oakland-city-council-calling-for-wnba-team-in-approved-resolution

Oregon Senator Ron Wyden Sends Letter of Support for Portland WNBA Team to National Basketball Officials

https://www.wweek.com/news/2022/09/22/senator-ron-wyden-sends-letter-of-support-for-portland-wnba-team-to-national-basketball-officials/

Quote:
“A WNBA franchise in my hometown of Portland would be a slam dunk-success for the city and the league,” Wyden wrote to the NBA’s Adam Silver and WNBA’s Cathy Engelbert. “[It] would grow the sport nationally and further deepen the connection between basketball and the city.”

There’s long been rumors of a WNBA team coming back to Portland. Earlier this year, WW reported that two parties were interested in reviving a team here in Portland. One of them was Vancouver, Wash., tech founder Kirk Brown.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2022/02/23/potential-buyers-want-to-bring-womens-professional-basketball-back-to-portland-but-will-need-support-from-trail-blazers-ownership

#RekindleTheFire

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/27/22 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. Could we expect an announcement soon with so many politicians lobbying for a team? Also, this process is pretty unique as it seems to be the league and municipalities doing the lobbying and, ya know, not actual owners. Seems a bit cart before the horse but I trust Englebert. I'd announce around Christmas and call it a gift to the fans.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/27/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've said before that it takes about 18 months to ramp up from announcement to actually starting play, so yes, if they want to expand in 2024, the announcement should be in the not-too-distant future.

But as you say, they need ownership. And ownership that's willing to lose money for at least a couple of years. Some local council saying "We really, really want a team! Pleeeease!" means precisely fuck all.

PostPosted: 09/27/22 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Portland's situation is too messy & complicated at the moment for there to be a team by 2024/2025. At minimum, it seems that they'll need Paul Allen's sister Jody to sell the Blazers first, just as she was supposedly directed to do by now in Paul's will. No one has any idea if she's ever even gonna do that though. I highly doubt the next expansion team(s) will be in Portland. Damn shame.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/28/22 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They've said before that it takes about 18 months to ramp up from announcement to actually starting play, so yes, if they want to expand in 2024, the announcement should be in the not-too-distant future.

But as you say, they need ownership. And ownership that's willing to lose money for at least a couple of years. Some local council saying "We really, really want a team! Pleeeease!" means precisely fuck all.

Which is why this process has seemed a bit perplexing. There's been very little discussion of potential owners outside of the Oakland group but the focus has been on cities first and ownership seems like an afterthought. I'm sure that the league is likely pitching to potential owners in the cities they are interested in. Which is a unique approach that could be a good route for the league to take as the league has a vested interest in ensuring success of an expansion team for the health of the league.

That being said, I think it seems incredibly likely that we could see a total of 4 expansion teams in the next few years. Likely in sets of two. I sure hope Philly is one.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/22 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

They've never taken that long. The last expansion saw Atlanta announced in October of 2007 and starting play in May of 2008. Chicago took 15 months from the February 2005 announcement to May 2006 debut. The four 2000 expansion teams were announced in June of 1999. The two 1999 expansion teams were announced in April of 1998. The two 1998 expansion teams were announced in November of 1997.

PostPosted: 09/28/22 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They've never taken that long. The last expansion saw Atlanta announced in October of 2007 and starting play in May of 2008. Chicago took 15 months from the February 2005 announcement to May 2006 debut. The four 2000 expansion teams were announced in June of 1999. The two 1999 expansion teams were announced in April of 1998. The two 1998 expansion teams were announced in November of 1997.

Question, if you know.

How long before the official announcemnts of Atlanta and Chicago did we actually know the teams were happening? I imagine there were some leaks prior to announcement? Or was it like the "out of nowhere" announcement of SAS moving to Vegas?

I can see why the league would want to announce an expansion team prior to their debut season to build anticipation and maximize publicity.

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/28/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling it’s going to be Toronto and Bay Area (Oakland) for 2024.

But with the right ownership and investment, Portland could be a fantastic market for the W. I also wouldn’t mind hearing legit whispers to bring back the Comets Very Happy

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/28/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

But with the right ownership and investment, Portland could be a fantastic market for the W. I also wouldn’t mind hearing legit whispers to bring back the Comets Very Happy

I'm lukewarm on the return of Portland. I'd love to see it be successful but it does not excite me. I really do think we get 4 over the next few years. Bay Area and Toronto both seem to have interest from prospective ownership groups. I'd love to see Philly and Portland be next.

As much as I'd love to see the Comets return, I'm not convinced Texas or Southern teams have the potential to do well.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/28/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

I'm lukewarm on the return of Portland. I'd love to see it be successful but it does not excite me. I really do think we get 4 over the next few years. Bay Area and Toronto both seem to have interest from prospective ownership groups. I'd love to see Philly and Portland be next.

As much as I'd love to see the Comets return, I'm not convinced Texas or Southern teams have the potential to do well.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
How long before the official announcemnts of Atlanta and Chicago did we actually know the teams were happening? I imagine there were some leaks prior to announcement? Or was it like the "out of nowhere" announcement of SAS moving to Vegas?

Atlanta was getting ticket pledges for months before the announcement, so there was some idea locally that it might happen.

I don't recall any leaks, but the media covering the league was much less intense than it is now.

PostPosted: 09/28/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not convinced Toronto will be one of the next two teams, just because of the extra complications added by introducing another country into the mix. They've clearly considered the possibility, because there's a whole section in the CBA regarding the possibility of a Canadian team and how it would be handled, but when they haven't expanded for so long it just seems like an extra issue that could be avoided for now. So a couple of teams in major US markets first, and then maybe Toronto in the next pair if everything goes well.

PostPosted: 09/28/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Well alrighty then LOL Twisted Evil Razz

PostPosted: 09/28/22 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Well alrighty then LOL Twisted Evil Razz

That's what my first thought was too but then I decided to not even waste my time responding to it, SMDH!!!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/28/22 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go figure you both post. Alt accounts are so exhausting.

How many folded/relocated teams do we have from the south and Texas? Charlotte folded, Houston was unable to survive w/o the Rockets backing, Tulsa was a failed expirement of a location, SAS left town, Atlanta plays in the smallest arena in the league and Dallas plays in a college dorm room.

Sorry about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: