Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/22/22 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Main priority is getting Stewie back and sign Sloot

What if Stewart (or any player) that intends to play overseas don't sign with a team until they come back? If they are not under contract the league cannot fine them right?

Is this a loophole in the prioritization rule? (If it goes into effect)
Question Question

PostPosted: 09/23/22 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
What if Stewart (or any player) that intends to play overseas don't sign with a team until they come back? If they are not under contract the league cannot fine them right?

Question Question

The rule as written applies retroactively to fine any player who subsequently signs during training camp and prohibits a player who isn't back by 2023 opening night (start of training camp 2024 and beyond) from signing a contract whether they are under contract at the time or not. So no loopholes.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/23/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Question Question

The rule as written applies retroactively to fine any player who subsequently signs during training camp and prohibits a player who isn't back by 2023 opening night (start of training camp 2024 and beyond) from signing a contract whether they are under contract at the time or not. So no loopholes.

Article coming soon from me at Her Hoop Stats diving into all of this further (once I fix/replace my laptop to enable myself to write it). But yeah, what TDAO said. That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

The whole section was clearly written in an effort to prevent loopholes, even if a team wanted to help the player find them. Hence why it says at every stage that the league will impose the fines/suspensions, not the teams.

PostPosted: 09/23/22 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

It is possible the decision to sit out the season produces less guilt if you're a free agent rather than specifically under contract, so I understand it from that standpoint.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/23/22 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
That's why I said it was largely a stunt that players like Stewart and others said they were only signing for one year due to Prioritization - it doesn't help them avoid the impact at all.

It is possible the decision to sit out the season produces less guilt if you're a free agent rather than specifically under contract, so I understand it from that standpoint.

Yeah, similar to how we see a significant number of player force trades when they're out of contract but a team still holds their rights. There does often seem to be an element of feeling the need to honour a contract, even though it really makes very little difference to these situations in practice.

PostPosted: 09/24/22 10:22 am    ::: Re: Seattle Storm 2023 Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
No more Sue Bird commanding the point for the Storm. Does Stewart return? Where does Seattle go from here? Lots of questions this off season to answer.

On the, "does Stewart return" front, I would think that Puma, who just spent a lot of money making her their premiere athlete and even giving her a shoe, would not be pleased if she skipped the WNBA season. She must have something in her contract about playing in the WNBA with them. I think her comments at the beginning of the season about prioritization and her one-year deal, were done more to get people talking about it and hopefully igniting some sort of mini-revolt for change. I could be very wrong, but something tells me Puma should/could have a lot to stay about her W status.

I mean, I love Stewie, but these players signed this CBA knowing full well that prioritization was in there and to me, the owners have every right to make sure their employees are at work.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/24/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's definitely been a lot of posturing on both sides of the prioritization stuff. No idea exactly what the repurcussions on endorsements could be for missing the season. It might be a bigger story if she doesn't play than just turning up like normal. Diggins-Smith launched her range with Puma and then walked away from the Mercury about 48 hours later.

I don't blame the owners for wanting the players there on time, but it's clear that the salaries still aren't high enough to keep them from playing overseas. Many still make more in Europe than the US. So why should they prioritize the US? And the danger is obviously losing star players who call their bluff. Does it help the WNBA if everyone who plays is there on time for camp, but that means, say, 5 of the top 10 players in the world don't play at all?

PostPosted: 09/24/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Puma is a German company.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/24/22 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Puma is a German company.

Stewie's shoe was just released in North America, which is Puma's biggest market. I can't see Puma being happy about Stewie disappearing from an American league.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/25/22 2:31 pm    ::: Re: Seattle Storm 2023 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
No more Sue Bird commanding the point for the Storm. Does Stewart return? Where does Seattle go from here? Lots of questions this off season to answer.

On the, "does Stewart return" front, I would think that Puma, who just spent a lot of money making her their premiere athlete and even giving her a shoe, would not be pleased if she skipped the WNBA season. She must have something in her contract about playing in the WNBA with them. I think her comments at the beginning of the season about prioritization and her one-year deal, were done more to get people talking about it and hopefully igniting some sort of mini-revolt for change. I could be very wrong, but something tells me Puma should/could have a lot to stay about her W status.

I mean, I love Stewie, but these players signed this CBA knowing full well that prioritization was in there and to me, the owners have every right to make sure their employees are at work.

I've always wondered if players vote on each element of the CBA? And, if so, what the percentage were in agreement on prioritization? Or, maybe most players didn't care about it because they don't play overseas anyway?

PostPosted: 09/25/22 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They vote on whether to accept the finished document, but not on every last independent section. You have representatives and committees and lawyers to do all that. I'm sure there's plenty of discussion though, and agents should be paying close attention if they're doing their jobs.

PostPosted: 09/25/22 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They vote on whether to accept the finished document, but not on every last independent section. You have representatives and committees and lawyers to do all that. I'm sure there's plenty of discussion though, and agents should be paying close attention if they're doing their jobs.

Thank you Wink

PostPosted: 01/18/23 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this post is not a news-oriented one, so your heart rate can start relaxing now – no need to change out your pacemakers @ some of y'all

beyond whatever Stewart (and Sloot) rumors are out there, i'm still wondering what the hell we do at PG, since we clearly need multiple players to fill a couple spots – it's not every day that the only two PGs on the roster from the previous year elect to retire

did some research based on who's having good scoring and/or distributing season overseas

didn't feel like including any international players outside of Aussies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

those who are more knowledgeable than i can feel free to pick out their favorites, or just single out who amongst these players aren't actually PGs – i'm sure not every single player listed is

name, age

HARD NO

• Jordin Canada, 27 (that jump shot is never coming, let alone that 3pt shot)
• Kristi Toliver, 35 (retire already!)

If we're contending

• Courtney Vandersloot, 33 (for any price – though i kiiiiinda want her to finish her career in Chicago)
• Marina Mabrey, 26 (whatever Dallas won't match – we're not trying to trade things away for her)
• Natisha Hiedeman, 25 (same as Mabrey's, but as it relates to Connecticut)
• Moriah Jefferson, 28 (no more than $160k – i still don't trust her knees, but she has shown she can still shoot)
• Erica Wheeler, 31 (no more than $140k – hope last year was just an off year)

Possible Aussie 'mates' for Ezi

• Jade Melbourne, 20 (whom we currently hold the rights to, of course)
• Shyla Heal, 21 (forever & always a [former] 1st-rounder)
• Maddison Rocci, 24
• Stephanie Reid, 26
• Lauren Mansfield, 33

My preferred Camp options

• Destiny Slocum, 25 (i've always liked her ever since her Maryland days lmao)
• Lindsay Allen, 27 (someone's gonna snap her up this year – hope it's us!)
• Alexis Peterson, 27 (we once drafted her, she's still surviving & thriving; let's see how she's grown the past few years)
• Jazmine Davis, 29 (still so proud that she has worked her way up to the Turkish league 💜💛)
• Sydney Colson, 33 (she didn't [have to] do much in Vegas last year, but imo she still has stuff left in the tank as a backup – also, just like, her as a person lmao)

Other potential camp options

• Kyra Lambert, 24
• Sug Sutton, 24
• Brittany Brown, 27
• Feyonda Fitzgerald, 27
• Kenisha Bell, 28
• Jessica Thomas, 28
• Jessica January, 28
• Alexis Jones, 28
• Aaryn Ellenberg-Wiley, 30
• Yvonne Anderson, 32
• Chelsea Hopkins, 32

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/18/23 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Jefferson and Melbourne.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 01/31/23 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Depth Chart:

2: Jewell Loyd
5: Mercedes Russell

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/01/23 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talbot is signing with the Sparks Sad gonna miss her on the team but hopefully she gets a bigger contract/salary with the Sparks. She deserves it!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 02/01/23 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
craigmont

PostPosted: 02/01/23 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Talbot is signing with the Sparks Sad gonna miss her on the team but hopefully she gets a bigger contract/salaris with the Sparks. She deserves it!

This offseason sucks already.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Talbot is signing with the Sparks Sad gonna miss her on the team but hopefully she gets a bigger contract/salaris with the Sparks. She deserves it!

This offseason sucks already.

It just got worse… Stewart just announced she’s going to NY Confused

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Clark to Seattle in 23 kind of seems fitting

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time to reset. What are we trading Loyd for? I’d assume she wants out now. If she doesn’t, do we ship her off anyway?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talbot to LA Arrow

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise but still a gut punch.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m joining the “trade Loyd even if she wouldn’t mind sticking around” camp, and I’ve also been in the “I don’t trust our front office one bit” camp for a while as some may recall but I’m gonna go ahead and reaffirm that commitment, since we could’ve cored Stewart instead of Loyd in 2021 but didn’t. Confused

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I’m joining the “trade Loyd” camp, and I’ve also been in the “I don’t trust our front office one bit” camp for a while as some may recall but I’m gonna go ahead and reaffirm that commitment, since we could’ve cored Stewart instead of Loyd in 2021 but didn’t. Confused

Well now that we're being cynical, I'll bet threats were made that bad things would happen if they had tried to core Stewart.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/01/23 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aw this sucks. First my favorite player retires and now Stewie leaves my team to go play for a super team Sad

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 02/01/23 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: