RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kentucky freshman recovering from open heart surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~UK~

PostPosted: 09/20/22 12:06 pm    ::: Kentucky freshman recovering from open heart surgery Reply Reply with quote

https://ukathletics.com/news/2022/09/20/kentucky-womens-basketball-freshman-tionna-herron-recovering-from-successful-open-heart-surgery/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/20/22 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes! I used to be a cardiology nurse in a Top 100 Heart Hospital. I was frequently pulled to the post-surgical floor, so I do understand more than a little bit of what this is about. If she had to have her chest cracked, I suspect she'll get redshirted this year and be back next. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. She has youth and prior good conditioning on her side. It kind of makes me wonder why the structural deformity had gone undiscovered for so long.

PostPosted: 09/20/22 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Yikes! I used to be a cardiology nurse in a Top 100 Heart Hospital. I was frequently pulled to the post-surgical floor, so I do understand more than a little bit of what this is about. If she had to have her chest cracked, I suspect she'll get redshirted this year and be back next. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. She has youth and prior good conditioning on her side. It kind of makes me wonder why the structural deformity had gone undiscovered for so long.

Especially when she had been playing basketball at a pretty competitive level. Do they still make HS players get physicals before every season?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/21/22 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Especially when she had been playing basketball at a pretty competitive level. Do they still make HS players get physicals before every season?

How many of those physicals even include an EKG, let alone any other kind of cardiac test like an ultrasound or even a stress test? The only sports physical my daughter ever had that amounted to anything was performed by UT sports medicine student docs, and it didn't include any of that. They did give her some helpful exercises for her tight ITBs though. If any of those sports physicals really did cardiac testing, they might spot the defects that cause those football players to go down and die every year with arrhythmias nobody knew they had....which never show up on EKGs anyway. And hers would probably only show up on an ultrasound.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How many of those physicals even include an EKG, let alone any other kind of cardiac test like an ultrasound or even a stress test? The only sports physical my daughter ever had that amounted to anything was performed by UT sports medicine student docs, and it didn't include any of that. They did give her some helpful exercises for her tight ITBs though. If any of those sports physicals really did cardiac testing, they might spot the defects that cause those football players to go down and die every year with arrhythmias nobody knew they had....which never show up on EKGs anyway. And hers would probably only show up on an ultrasound.

PostPosted: 09/21/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I know that EKG's are done at the local high school. I don't know if they are mandatory or optional. I know that there have been some athletes referred to cardiology for follow-up. I don't know how many, if any, had anything serious though.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/21/22 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How about even a physical exam? In this instance, the problem was an unspecified "cardiac defect", likely a congenital anomaly which frequently produces a heart murmur. Of course, the doctor needs to know how to use a stethoscope and I don't think physical exam skills are being well taught in medical school anymore...doctors just grab their computer and ordered a $1000 test, or not.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/22/22 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that EKG's are done at the local high school. I don't know if they are mandatory or optional. I know that there have been some athletes referred to cardiology for follow-up. I don't know how many, if any, had anything serious though.[/quote]

Your local high school is probably the exception. They certainly are not done at the high schools my kids and grandkids played at. For most of the sports they had to see their personal MDs. Football was an exception for one school. The year my daughter got hers from medical students was an experiment for her school.

PostPosted: 09/22/22 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I know that EKG's are done at the local high school. I don't know if they are mandatory or optional. I know that there have been some athletes referred to cardiology for follow-up. I don't know how many, if any, had anything serious though.

Your local high school is probably the exception. They certainly are not done at the high schools my kids and grandkids played at. For most of the sports they had to see their personal MDs. Football was an exception for one school. The year my daughter got hers from medical students was an experiment for her school.

Pretty sure that it's all arranged through the athletic trainers. They do a mass physical day or two every year. Bring in 3-4 docs and a bunch of nurses and run the athletes through whatever tests they do. I'm not sure what all they do though.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: