someone else
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 36

pilight

PostPosted: 08/15/22 7:38 am    ::: COY Reply Reply with quote

Final Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 08/15/22 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who will be the COY, Becky Hamon. Who should be the COY, Mike Thibault for how he massaged EDD's playing time during the 2022 WNBA Regular season and still had his team tied for the 4th best record.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/15/22 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon's an easy call, IMO. It's not that she led her team to the top of the league, but that helps.

To me, it's the huge leap that we saw both Young and Plum make this year. It is both development (which I can only assume working with a great guard helps with) and a system that works toward their emerging strengths.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/22 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://abc7.com/sports/wnba-mvp-debating-breanna-stewart-or-aja-wilson-for-mvp-plus-exp/12118136/

Quote:
Who is your pick for Coach of the Year?

Philippou: If the Atlanta Dreammake the playoffs, I plan on voting for Tanisha Wright. For the Dream, under a first-year head coach, to make the postseason for just the second time in six years would be a significant accomplishment, especially given last year's roller-coaster summer, the limited availability of Hayes in 2022 and injuries to multiple other rotation players to conclude the regular season. There has been some talk about whether a coach with a losing record is a worthy Coach of the Year pick; that should be overlooked if Wright ushers the Dream into the playoffs.

If Atlanta misses out, things become a bit murkier. Depending on how things shake out with the Dream and other teams, Wright could still get my vote, or the nod might go to Becky Hammon, who has had an excellent first year in Las Vegas. James Wade probably deserves consideration, too, and he'd definitely get my Executive of the Year vote if I had one. He has an argument for Coach of the Year as well for helping the Sky look well within reach of becoming the first repeat champions since the Sparks did it in 2001-02.

Pelton: I'm going with Wright either way. Although Howard deserves a lot of credit for Atlanta's six-win improvement, I think much of it needs to go to the defensive turnaround under Wright. Ninth in defensive rating a year ago, the Dream have improved to fourth this season despite relatively limited rim protection. For me, Wade's best work came last offseason, but media doesn't vote for Executive of the Year. (The executives themselves choose that.)

Voepel: Raise your hand if you thought Atlanta would finish dead last this season (raises hand). Just the fact that the Dream are still in the playoff conversation in the last week of the season, let alone have a chance to make it, says a lot about Wright. She is a strong choice for this award, especially after the hot mess that the Dream seemed to be at season's end last year.

Hammon has had a really good season, too, and that should garner her some well-deserved votes. There were a lot of expectations for Hammon coming back to the WNBA as a head coach, and she has proved very much up to the task.

As for which coach will most need to decompress after this season, it is Vanessa Nygaard. So much has gone on in Phoenix, yet the Mercury could still be a playoff team. Either way, whenever the Mercury's season ends, Nygaard will probably feel like she has just gotten off a roller coaster that just wouldn't stop.

Three intuitive people who actually have a vote in this seem to be leaning Wright’s way.

The thought of Wade getting the honors makes me cringe a bit, because okay he makes the substitutions, but who’s really coaching up these players? It’s similar to the situation out in Seattle. If anybody deserves the award in Chicago, it’s Candace Parker.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 08/15/22 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i am TANISHA WRIGHT all day and twice on Sunday.

What she did this year after the dumpster fire of a team that was last season, is remarkable. I've always been a big fan of hers so this was an easy pick for me.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/15/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do hope Tanisha gets a lot of consideration. I didn't vote for her because I figured they'd go for the best team or at least a playoff team. But with all the injuries and lineup changes and stuff, she still had them a game away.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/22 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/16/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Hammon's an easy call, IMO. It's not that she led her team to the top of the league, but that helps.

To me, it's the huge leap that we saw both Young and Plum make this year. It is both development (which I can only assume working with a great guard helps with) and a system that works toward their emerging strengths.

Neither Young nor Plum made a "huge" leap this year: Plum's "huge" leap was last year, and Young's improvement has been steady over the last three years, and consistent with the increase in her usage.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 08/17/22 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon -- how can Coach of the Year be a coach that let their team lose, at home (!!), when they were up a record 28 points at one point. And at home, had to be a bummer for the fans.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/17/22 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
Hammon -- how can Coach of the Year be a coach that let their team lose, at home (!!), when they were up a record 28 points at one point. And at home, had to be a bummer for the fans.

I cannot understand the hype around Wright. I'm not a coaching expert so I'll concede that I likely don't know what I'm talking about but I fail to see how blowing it and not making the playoffs makes someone Coach of the Year. Sure, Atlanta aren't as abysmal as people thought they'd be but this pick makes no sense to me.

I'd give it to Vickie Johnson over Wright. At least VJ made the playoffs and got a career best season out of McCowan.

I guess people just hate the idea of giving it to Hammon but she's earned it.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/17/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We played 4 more games in 2022 than in 2021 (36 vs. 32)

Code:

Team                2021W       2022W       +/-
Chicago              16          26          +10
Washington           12          22          +10
Atlanta               8          14          +6
Dallas               14          18          +4
New York             12          16          +4
Las Vegas            24          26          +2
Los Angeles          12          13          +1
Seattle              21          22          +1
Indiana               6          5           -1
Connecticut          26          25          -2
Phoenix              19          15          -4
Minnesota            22          14          -8

PostPosted: 08/17/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

What she did this year after the dumpster fire of a team that was last season, is remarkable. I've always been a big fan of hers so this was an easy pick for me.

We’re on the same page!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/17/22 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:

I cannot understand the hype around Wright. I'm not a coaching expert so I'll concede that I likely don't know what I'm talking about but I fail to see how blowing it and not making the playoffs makes someone Coach of the Year. Sure, Atlanta aren't as abysmal as people thought they'd be but this pick makes no sense to me.

I'd give it to Vickie Johnson over Wright. At least VJ made the playoffs and got a career best season out of McCowan.

The only statistical category that McCowan had a career best in was her FGP% at 60.2 compared to her second best of 53.7 in 2021. All of her career best numbers came last year in Indiana. (2021 Indiana) 11.3 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.6 bpg, vs. (2022 Dallas) 11.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.7 bpg

PostPosted: 08/17/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

This seems to be the main factor in her support, which is ridiculous.

lynxmania wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:

The only statistical category that McCowan had a career best in was her FGP% at 60.2 compared to her second best of 53.7 in 2021. All of her career best numbers came last year in Indiana. (2021 Indiana) 11.3 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.6 bpg, vs. (2022 Dallas) 11.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.7 bpg

I think I got fooled by her Player of the Week and Player of the Month awards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: