RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA - A "Small and Cowardly Organization"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/07/22 9:17 pm    ::: NCAA - A "Small and Cowardly Organization" Reply Reply with quote

This article is behind a paywall. Sorry. It would be nice if some of the nations colleges and universities would speak up against the NCAA. We need someone to have a Sedona moment and put the NCAA on notice as being an asshole organization.

I think that we all knew this.
Quote:
The NCAA is as cowardly as it is inept.

I don't recall reading any comments prior to the vote/signing either.
Quote:
Asked Sunday for its reaction to the near total abortion ban passed this weekend in Indiana, where the NCAA is based, spokeswoman Michelle Hosick said, “We are declining comment.”

Quote:
That’s right. An organization that last year had more than 240 women at its headquarters, comprising more than half its staff, is choosing to stay silent as their rights are ripped away from them. An organization whose sole purpose is to support and facilitate participation for college athletes, nearly half of which are female, is OK with those women being deemed less than full citizens. An organization that already struggles to do right by women is standing by as their health and well-being are put at risk.

Quote:
An organization that is supposed to support women and help them achieve success, in college athletics and beyond, is giving its de facto approval as their futures are restricted by extremist Indiana legislators who see them as nothing more than incubators.

Quote:
Imagine trying to convince a sponsor that has publicly stated its support for abortion rights, or one whose target audience is women, to partner with the NCAA.

Quote:
That the NCAA should be hostile to women shouldn't come as a surprise. The new chair of its Board of Governors is Linda Livingstone, president of Baylor, a conservative Baptist school. The presidents of Georgia, Georgetown and Minot State University are also on the board.

Quote:
When Indiana passed legislation in March 2015 that allowed businesses to discriminate against gays and lesbians, the NCAA joined other Indiana business leaders in condemnation of it. NCAA president Mark Emmert even suggested it could affect Indianapolis’ ability to host lucrative events like the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments. When North Carolina passed its so-called “bathroom bill” targeting transgender people, the NCAA responded by saying it would no longer hold championships – including the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments – there.

But as Texas and other states have passed laws that are increasingly hostile to women, the NCAA has barely said a peep.

Texas passed a bounty law last year that effectively curtailed abortion access in that state, yet the state will host both the men’s and women’s Final Fours next year. And the men’s Final Four again in 2025.

Quote:
In saying nothing about Indiana's abortion ban, the NCAA said everything about what a small and cowardly organization it is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2022/08/07/ncaa-stays-silent-indiana-passes-near-total-abortion-ban/10261806002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
elsie

PostPosted: 08/11/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all the SC did was say the FEDERAL govt has NO SAY in whether abortion is legal or not legal....its not in the constitution....therefore, it falls within the states to make it legal or illegal....

but I know you knew that.....

can we just play sports?....is that too much to ask?....do some of you have to make a federal case out of everything and anything that you disagree with....

let the kids play!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/12/22 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
all the SC did was say the FEDERAL govt has NO SAY in whether abortion is legal or not legal....its not in the constitution....therefore, it falls within the states to make it legal or illegal....

can we just play sports?....is that too much to ask?....do some of you have to make a federal case out of everything and anything that you disagree with....

let the kids play!

The NCAA took a political stance in Indiana a few years ago on an issue that affected far fewer people.

The NCAA took a political stance in NC a few years ago on an issue that affected far fewer people.

Now the NCAA cowardly backs off of an issue that affects 50% of the athletes they are supposed to serve? A group that they pledged within the last year or two to do better by?

Patrons of the NCAA need to know what they are - be reminded what they are. We need to know that they are a pathetic group of cowardly individuals that don't give a shit about women. The women that work for them, or the women athletes that they are supposed to be working for.

But I know you knew that.

Who's wanting the kids to not play?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/12/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

let the kids play!

I too love having my bodily autonomy and ability to remove unwanted matter from said body determined by what part of the country I’m in.

We briefly considered the Final Four as a fallback plan if we couldn’t save up for Australia in time, but you won’t catch me setting foot in Texas now.

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/12/22 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Color me confused here. Who exactly is "the NCAA" that is supposed to issue this pro-choice announcement? An organization doesn't form an opinion, its members do. The NCAA is composed of 1102 schools, and half of them are in anti-abortion states. Can the NCAA as a organization make a non-sports related proclamation that half of its members don't agree with?

The Board of Governors which is presumably the group having the authority to make this decision is overwhelmingly from anti-abortion states (which shouldn't be a surprise because there are more anti-abortion states than pro-choice ones) or represent Catholic schools. Would we like the NCAA to take a vote, either of their Governors or member schools, on its abortion stance? I don't think most of us would like the results.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/12/22 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Color me confused here. Who exactly is "the NCAA" that is supposed to issue this pro-choice announcement? An organization doesn't form an opinion, its members do. The NCAA is composed of 1102 schools, and half of them are in anti-abortion states. Can the NCAA as a organization make a non-sports related proclamation that half of its members don't agree with?

The Board of Governors which is presumably the group having the authority to make this decision is overwhelmingly from anti-abortion states (which shouldn't be a surprise because there are more anti-abortion states than pro-choice ones) or represent Catholic schools. Would we like the NCAA to take a vote, either of their Governors or member schools, on its abortion stance? I don't think most of us would like the results.

The same organization that spoke up a couple of years ago on an issue that did not impact 50% of the nation.

From the original post:

Quote:
When Indiana passed legislation in March 2015 that allowed businesses to discriminate against gays and lesbians, the NCAA joined other Indiana business leaders in condemnation of it. NCAA president Mark Emmert even suggested it could affect Indianapolis’ ability to host lucrative events like the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments. When North Carolina passed its so-called “bathroom bill” targeting transgender people, the NCAA responded by saying it would no longer hold championships – including the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments – there.

But as Texas and other states have passed laws that are increasingly hostile to women, the NCAA has barely said a peep.

Texas passed a bounty law last year that effectively curtailed abortion access in that state, yet the state will host both the men’s and women’s Final Fours next year. And the men’s Final Four again in 2025.

LitePal

PostPosted: 08/13/22 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy Lane is a women's gymnastics coach at LIU and made a passionate tweet protesting the repeal of Roe v Wade. He later said he was the only current coach who did but said that others who reached out to him, especially those in Red States were afraid to for fear of reprisal.

https://twitter.com/UtahMarz/status/1552624373520932864

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/14/22 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA is a toothless tiger. That is all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: