RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sportswashing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/06/22 7:16 pm    ::: Sportswashing Reply Reply with quote

Anybody think that was the sole purpose of these foreign teams that paid large amounts of money to women to play bball for their team?

All of these Russian oligarchs that have Putin on speed dial seem to be guilty of doing it.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Am I seeing this wrong?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/06/22 8:10 pm    ::: Re: Sportswashing Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Anybody think that was the sole purpose of these foreign teams that paid large amounts of money to women to play bball for their team?

All of these Russian oligarchs that have Putin on speed dial seem to be guilty of doing it.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Am I seeing this wrong?

I have never understood the economics of overseas women's basketball. I always assumed it was a a means of training their national teams. Bring in top tier American players to play with and against your country's players. Probably a naive assumption on my part but there doesn't seem to be any economic reason that justifies the salaries they throw to American players.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/06/22 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From my understanding it's all about the trophy, they more trophies they can add to their collection the better, they don't care if it's women's basketball, soccer, men's volleyball, etc., they just want to be able to say I have X number of trophies in my collection.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/06/22 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's mostly a pride and ego thing. The amount of money that it would take to make the top men's soccer team these days would be insane, but pick another sport and you can spend your way to the top.

For the multi-sport clubs, it is a way for their wealthier fans to build political power by bringing success to one of the teams through sponsorship.

Remember that salaries for European/local players are generally even more unreasonable accounting for talent level than what is paid for Americans. Below the very best, American players are somewhat interchangeable.
tfan

PostPosted: 08/07/22 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does paying foreigners to take positions from Russian players and earn much more than Russian players improve your reputation in Russia? It might due to winning I suppose as people tend to cheer a winner regardless of how much of an advantage in personnel they had.

But I like the explanation that they did it as a competition in which their team could win. And maybe a secondary perk in that they could show off their wealth.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/07/22 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm inclined to believe that it's 45 percent ego, 55 percent money laundering.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/07/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

If you've got to launder your money and it strokes your ego, what could be better?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/07/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Probably this.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/07/22 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
If you've got to launder your money and it strokes your ego, what could be better?

Well said.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: