RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Referee Pay Equity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/05/22 8:32 am    ::: Referee Pay Equity Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The most experienced Division 1 referees — for men's or women's games — are well paid. Some earn more than $150,000 in a season, officiating dozens of games across multiple conferences. Newer referees earn far less, supplementing income from another job.

Quote:
Veteran referees officiating in the Atlantic-10 are paid $3,300 for men’s games, compared with $2,300 for women’s games, according to data reviewed by AP. Seven other conferences had higher per-game rates — and narrower gender gaps — last year, the data show.

Kind of disappointed in what Ackerman has to say about this. Also, since it's a women's game, do the pay the ticket takers 22% less? Ushers less? Scorers and timers less? Operations crew less?
Quote:
Several conference commissioners said the men’s and women’s games do not generate equal amounts of revenue, and that the level of play is not equal, and so referee salaries are set accordingly.

“Historically we have treated each referee pool as a separate market,” said Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman. “We paid rates that allow us to be competitive for services at our level. I think the leagues are entitled to look at different factors here. I don’t see it as an equity issue — I see it as a market issue.”

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/nation-world/ncaa-leagues-basketball-referee-pay/507-60102470-044a-4abc-be5b-54572af93a4a

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/05/22 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pay disparity reflects the fact that women's games are far more likely to be officiated by women. Women only earn 80% of what men earn across all fields when matched for education, experience, hours worked, position responsibility, etc. I don't think we should be surprised that female sports officials suffer the same discrimination as female surgeons or female office workers. This is well beyond Ackerman's take.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/05/22 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every official should be required to work men's and women's games in equal numbers

PostPosted: 08/05/22 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The pay disparity reflects the fact that women's games are far more likely to be officiated by women. Women only earn 80% of what men earn across all fields when matched for education, experience, hours worked, position responsibility, etc. I don't think we should be surprised that female sports officials suffer the same discrimination as female surgeons or female office workers. This is well beyond Ackerman's take.

Do the male and female refs in wcbb get paid differently?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/05/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Do the male and female refs in wcbb get paid differently?

From the OP's linked article...
Quote:
The Associated Press obtained data for the 2021-22 season that show 15 of the NCAA’s largest — and most profitable -- conferences paid veteran referees for men's basketball an average of 22% more per game....

Of the roughly 800 referees officiating women's basketball this past season, 43% were female, a proportion that’s been relatively consistent over the past decade. But just six women officiated men’s games last year — a number that has slowly grown over the last few years.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/05/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Women only earn 80% of what men earn across all fields when matched for education, experience, hours worked, position responsibility, etc.

I don't believe the last half of that is true, except in a limited amount of professions like acting. The Bernie Sanders campaign website made the claim as you stated but then gave the methodology used to get the 80% etc. figures. They take all male salaries for every male working at any job and find the median salary and then do the same with women and compare the two median values.

Union workers and government workers have strict rules on what workers are paid and there is no male/female differentiation. So if there was an actual 20% difference overall it would be greater than 20% at companies where they had discretion. What HR person (heavily female) has ever come forward and said their company had a policy or practice of paying women less for the same job? Or, as was the case in my company and I would assume most are the same - people are paid based on their rankings in a job classification. I don't think that after we went to "market survey" pay there was more than a 20% differential between the highest ranked and the least ranked for a position. They had a mandatory raise if your pay dipped below a "market value" range. In any event the rep (or former HR rep) for those companies would leak that women are consistently rated lower than men at the same position. Managers could also leak the same info as they get together to rank employees.

Refereeing may be like acting, but there is also the fact that more money comes in for men's game ticket sales than women's games.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/06/22 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Women only earn 80% of what men earn across all fields when matched for education, experience, hours worked, position responsibility, etc.

I don't believe the last half of that is true, except in a limited amount of professions like acting. The Bernie Sanders campaign website made the claim as you stated but then gave the methodology used to get the 80% etc. figures. They take all male salaries for every male working at any job and find the median salary and then do the same with women and compare the two median values.

Union workers and government workers have strict rules on what workers are paid and there is no male/female differentiation. So if there was an actual 20% difference overall it would be greater than 20% at companies where they had discretion. What HR person (heavily female) has ever come forward and said their company had a policy or practice of paying women less for the same job? Or, as was the case in my company and I would assume most are the same - people are paid based on their rankings in a job classification. I don't think that after we went to "market survey" pay there was more than a 20% differential between the highest ranked and the least ranked for a position. They had a mandatory raise if your pay dipped below a "market value" range. In any event the rep (or former HR rep) for those companies would leak that women are consistently rated lower than men at the same position. Managers could also leak the same info as they get together to rank employees.

Refereeing may be like acting, but there is also the fact that more money comes in for men's game ticket sales than women's games.

Google "pay disparity for female ___________" and read the studies that have actually stratified the subjects, rather than political propaganda and market surveys. Start with physicians, architects, engineers, and pilots. Regardless of the recent furor over abortion, this is why we've needed an ERA protecting women's rights from the beginning.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/06/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Every official should be required to work men's and women's games in equal numbers

Si Senor...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: