RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Woke up to monkeypox risks, everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/29/22 8:12 pm    ::: Woke up to monkeypox risks, everyone! Reply Reply with quote

Who is most at risk to get monkeypox?

The answer is blindingly simple. It's plainly stated in the most recent peer reviewed study, published last week in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine, which reported on 528 PCR-confirmed monkepox infections across 16 countries:

- "Overall, 98% of the persons with infection were gay or bisexual men . . . the median age was 38 years."

- "Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95% of the persons with infection."

- "The strong likelihood of sexual transmission was supported by the findings of primary genital, anal, and oral mucosal lesions, which may represent the inoculation site. Monkeypox virus DNA that was detectable by PCR in seminal fluid in 29 of the 32 cases in which seminal fluid was tested further supports this hypothesis."

That all seems clear enough.

But if one looks at the WHO or CDC websites to find out about the risk of monkeypox transmission, one is confronted with a blurry barrage of woke bureaucratese. Here, if you can stand reading them, are quotes from, first, the WHO website and, second, the CDC website:

Quote:
Animal-to-human (zoonotic) transmission can occur from direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, or cutaneous or mucosal lesions of infected animals. . . . Eating inadequately cooked meat and other animal products of infected animals is a possible risk factor. . . .

Human-to-human transmission can result from close contact with respiratory secretions, skin lesions of an infected person or recently contaminated objects. Transmission via droplet respiratory particles usually requires prolonged face-to-face contact, which puts health workers, household members and other close contacts of active cases at greater risk. However, the longest documented chain of transmission in a community has risen in recent years from 6 to 9 successive person-to-person infections. This may reflect declining immunity in all communities due to cessation of smallpox vaccination. Transmission can also occur via the placenta from mother to fetus (which can lead to congenital monkeypox) or during close contact during and after birth. While close physical contact is a well-known risk factor for transmission, it is unclear at this time if monkeypox can be transmitted specifically through sexual transmission routes.

Quote:
Monkeypox spreads in a few ways.

Monkeypox can spread to anyone through close, personal, often skin-to-skin contact, including:
Direct contact with monkeypox rash, scabs, or body fluids from a person with monkeypox.
Touching objects, fabrics (clothing, bedding, or towels), and surfaces that have been used by someone with monkeypox.
Contact with respiratory secretions.

This direct contact can happen during intimate contact, including:
Oral, anal, and vaginal sex or touching the genitals (penis, testicles, labia, and vagina) or anus (butthole) of a person with monkeypox.
Hugging, massage, and kissing.
Prolonged face-to-face contact.
Touching fabrics and objects during sex that were used by a person with monkeypox and that have not been disinfected, such as bedding, towels, fetish gear, and sex toys.

A pregnant person can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta.

It’s also possible for people to get monkeypox from infected animals, either by being scratched or bitten by the animal or by preparing or eating meat or using products from an infected animal.

Why is it that our woke governmental, political and academic institutions feel compelled to fuzz up, obfuscate, Orwell-ify or just plain deny objective facts, including scientific facts? I gather it's simply because avoiding potential hurt feelings among some group is more important than communicating scientific facts about or to that group.

In this case, the group to be protected from hurt feelings must be sexually promiscuous homosexual and bisexual men. One might think, on the more pragmatic hand, that this group would rather have clear notice of documented medical risks than woke bureaucratic word salads.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/29/22 10:49 pm    ::: Re: Woke up to monkeypox risks, everyone! Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why is it that our woke governmental, political and academic institutions feel compelled to fuzz up, obfuscate, Orwell-ify or just plain deny objective facts, including scientific facts? I gather it's simply because avoiding potential hurt feelings among some group is more important than communicating scientific facts about or to that group.

In this case, the group to be protected from hurt feelings must be sexually promiscuous homosexual and bisexual men.
One might think, on the more pragmatic hand, that this group would rather have clear notice of documented medical risks than woke bureaucratic word salads.

You seem to be obfuscating a bit on your own, Glenn. Everything I see as a warning in your post seems dead-on accurate. Where is there any 'science' missing or "denied"? With the most pessimistic outlook assumed from your opinion, it seems you might prefer that the authorities loudly and quickly declare it a disease of homosexuals - is that correct?

Here's a good read if you want to better understand the long history of this disease.

Clearly, as a virus, it doesn't have the capacity to differentiate between men/women/children, gay/straight, black/white/etc. The simplest scientists recognize that.

Thinking otherwise takes us back 40 years to the HIV epidemic, long thought to be a gay disease, just cuz THAT'S where where almost of it was found (here in America). In it's origins, HIV was a heterosexual problem (and is primarily still that, worldwide). But just cuz American Gays were on the front lines of 'our' epidemic, that was how so many Americans so UNscientifically decided = "It's a Gay Disease". Let's not make that mistake again, shall we?

No, despite your best intentions/wishes, The Academics and Authorities are NOT dancing around semantics to be woke and not hurt feelings. They're talking in real-but-generic terms cuz it CAN AFFECT ANYONE AND EVERYONE. To imply that Gays are the main target is not only unscientific, but totally irresponsible, as it could lead other groups to be indifferent about their own decision-making processes.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That WHO article was written on May 19th, when the outbreak was just beginning in Europe. Two days later, 2 clusters of cases were traced to a gay fetish festival in Belgium and a gay bathhouse in Spain. The CDC article was updated just yesterday and includes information about transmission via sexual contact. I'm not seeing a woke conspiracy here to withhold information from gay men. Probably the WHO should update its article to include transmission via sexual contact now that this route has been identified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2022_monkeypox_outbreak

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/30/22 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since my understanding is that the act of sexual intercourse tends to involve a wide variety of bodily fluids emitted copiously and over an extended period of time, I would think that a disease that spreads primarily through bodily fluids would be transmitted in that manner, yes. But there are other methods of transmission that do not involve sexual conduct, and deliberately implying that a disease will only spread in that manner and among that community puts everyone in danger.

Were I not attempting to abide by the rules of this board, and were I not hanging on to the last shreds of my temper with a tenacity that a mule would find impressive, this is the point at which I would tell someone attempting to recycle the “gay panic” of HIV from the 1980s to go fuck themselves, repeatedly, with a sharp object, and when that activity ceases to amuse this hypothetical person, that they may then proceed to take a long walk off a short pier, secure in the knowledge that the world will not mourn their passing.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/30/22 4:43 pm    ::: Re: Woke up to monkeypox risks, everyone! Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who is most at risk to get monkeypox?

The answer is blindingly simple.

Remember when it was only the elderly that got COVID?

Until it wasn't?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/30/22 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Were I not attempting to abide by the rules of this board, and were I not hanging on to the last shreds of my temper with a tenacity that a mule would find impressive, this is the point at which I would tell someone attempting to recycle the “gay panic” of HIV from the 1980s to go fuck themselves, repeatedly, with a sharp object, and when that activity ceases to amuse this hypothetical person, that they may then proceed to take a long walk off a short pier, secure in the knowledge that the world will not mourn their passing.

Well, for God's sake then.....don't tell us what you REALLY think!! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 07/30/22 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Well, for God's sake then.....don't tell us what you REALLY think!! Razz Laughing

I'm not sure which post made me laugh more! 🤣🤣

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: