RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sun Waive Valek

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liveitup!

PostPosted: 05/05/05 9:45 am    ::: Sun Waive Valek Reply Reply with quote

....as reported on dot.com. I would have liked to see her stay though!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/05/05 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to say I told you so, but...

she just wasn't as good as the other guards in the game last week.

atotalsportsan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 10:02 am    ::: I thought that it would happen Reply Reply with quote

Here is the link from Mike's site.

www.sportspagemagazine.com

boilerjay

PostPosted: 05/05/05 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's really too bad.

She is clearly faster, more athletic, and a better ball handler than Conlon.

If both players were trying out for any team other than Conn., Valek would get the nod every time.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
That's really too bad.

She is clearly faster, more athletic, and a better ball handler than Conlon.

If both players were trying out for any team other than Conn., Valek would get the nod every time.

Sorry to disillusion you Jay, but no. I still don't believe what I saw, but I saw a quicker Conlon than at any time in her college career. She didn't make mistakes, and she was in control. Valek was just not as good in that game last week as Conlon or Strom, and I guess now to Mike T, Jen D. either.

Valek simply did not distinguish herself amongst all the others, and it clearly had nothing to do with a Connecticut bias. In fact, Mike T has gone out of his way to avoid UConn players, which is why Conlon, Kara Wolters, and various other available ones never got a shot before now.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The prediction was Valek would be gone. I am not surprised about Conlon. She made it up to the last cuts at LA last year. Valek was the same in Phoenix. And from everybody was saying Conlon has looked better than Valek in camp. It's only fair that Conlon stays ahead of Valek.

Than of course you have Strom who I would take over both of them

Last edited by umbeta1455 on 05/05/05 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
The prediction was Valek would be gone. I am not surprised about Conlong. She made it up to the last cuts at LA last year. Valek was the same in Phoenix. And from everybody was saying Conlon has looked better than Valek in camp. It's only fair that Conlon stays ahead of Valek.

Than of course you have Strom who I would take over both of them

me too!

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:54 am    ::: I thought that she would go also Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned previously, I thought out of the three that she would be the one to go next, unfortunately and I have nothing against the young lady.

I was at the game also and from what I saw I thought that Strom ran the team well in the end as Minnesota was making a comeback.

Conlon sank two three's and her butt was flying all over the court for lose balls. This means a lot to a coach. Nothing does more for a player then hustle and determination.

If you followed UConn basketball you saw that in Mel Thomas in every game this past season.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:15 pm    ::: Re: I thought that she would go also Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
Conlon sank two three's and her butt was flying all over the court for lose balls. This means a lot to a coach. Nothing does more for a player then hustle and determination.

If you followed UConn basketball you saw that in Mel Thomas in every game this past season.

I'm not sure that Mel Thomas comparisons do Conlon much of a service, but yes, Conlon doesn't lose focus, and when she decides to take a three, it often goes in. If she's faster now than she was in college she'll be a fine reserve guard for the Sun or for several other teams without deep backcourts. (Better than Strom? That depends what you want in your backcourt. But, as I've said before, if Conlon can play alongside Lindsay, then T-bone may not have to cut any more of his guards.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: