RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

C Vivian Stringer retires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/22 8:58 am    ::: C Vivian Stringer retires Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33831595

Quote:
"This was the hardest decision of my life, but I thank God he has allowed me to do the thing I love most. I am ready to start my new journey and spending more time with my family, children, and grandchildren. I am truly blessed to have had so many wonderful people in my life."

PostPosted: 04/30/22 9:46 am    ::: Re: C Vivian Stringer retires Reply Reply with quote

"...Stringer had not been with the team since April 2021, taking a leave of absence through the 2021-22 season shortly after she signed a new five-year, $5.5 million contract. Stringer accumulated at least $235,000 in bonuses on top of her $1 million annual salary during her absence..."

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2022/04/legendary-rutgers-womens-basketball-coach-c-vivian-stringer-retires.html

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/30/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Legendary women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer is retiring after 50 years and 1,055 wins as a head coach, she announced Saturday."

Damn! 50 years - go enjoy the rest of your days - well earned. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/30/22 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is coaching tree is an impressive graphic of all the goodness that Vivian Stringer has accomplished!

https://twitter.com/itsBTerrell/status/1520392558983380992/photo/1

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/01/22 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not want to clog up the coaching moves thread since thefutureisbright ha asked in the past not to really have all the side convos so I'll move it over here.

Picked Gingler said:
The timing is really unfortunate. It has to be a black female, and all the best Black female coaches are either Dawn Staley, are in their first or second years in the Power 5 or just switched schools. Joni Taylor, Natasha Adair, Mox Agugua Hamilton all would have been excellent candidates 6 weeks ago.

-------------

I think in an ideal world a winning CVS would hand off the program to her selected successor. But what has happened at Rutgers in the past year or two has been anything but that and really retiring so late puts them in a much tougher position. They can't afford to write off coaches for gender or race since they are already hurt by timing so just hire best coach available

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/01/22 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. I think that Stringer would have *liked* to hand the program off to another Black woman, but she stayed on too long, so that a) pretty much all the top names were off the board and b) she burned too much of her internal political capital/reputation, between the uncertainty and the money that went into her buyout.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/01/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers, despite its name, is subtitled The State University of New Jersey, and that's what it is---a state university. Some people seem under the misapprehension that it's an HBCU. Nope. It's an ordinary state university. A public university. Therefore they aren't at all limited as to who they can choose for a coach for their women's basketball team. It doesn't have to be a Black woman. It doesn't even have to be a woman. What it does have to be is someone who can drag it out of the awful morass it has sunk into over the past few years. Perhaps C. Vov would have liked to hand the reins over to her hand-picked successor, but she held on way too long.

PostPosted: 05/01/22 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some potential replacements:

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/2022/04/rutgers-possible-candidates-to-replace-womens-basketball-coach-c-vivian-stringer.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/02/22 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/2022/04/rutgers-possible-candidates-to-replace-womens-basketball-coach-c-vivian-stringer.html

IMNSHO, they are not likely AT ALL to get anyone who's a current HC. They'll be lucky to get someone who's an AC but it could happen. Tasha Pointer is a possibility and don't let her record fool you. UIC is a sink; nobody goes there if they can help it. It's a place for hard-luck cases, kind of like Chicago State. She did the best she could with what she could get.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C Vivian Stringer made around $1 million a year. Of course they could hire a head coach from a smaller school, for much less $ than they were paying CVS.

If Oklahoma State or Illinois or Virginia or Syracuse could do it, why not Rutgers? They may not choose to hire a head coach but its not like many head coaches wouldn't love to have the job

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They aren't going to get a big name HC this year. It's way too late. They can work on that next year. They can either stumble along on the one they've got while searching, or try for a good AC. That's their best bet. Or they can try to lure someone out of retirement. I don't think Carolyn Peck is interested.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They aren't going to get a big name HC this year. It's way too late. They can work on that next year. They can either stumble along on the one they've got while searching, or try for a good AC. That's their best bet. Or they can try to lure someone out of retirement. I don't think Carolyn Peck is interested.

I was never saying they would get a big time HC, I was only replying to your prior post that claimed they wouldn't get any head coach.

"IMNSHO, they are not likely AT ALL to get anyone who's a current HC"

So I guess we don't really disagree much based on your most recent post about big name. I also don't think they will get a big time head coach but I could see them getting a current D1 head coach at a smaller school

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/03/22 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

I can’t see KBA doing it now. St. John’s to Rutgers would have made perfect sense. Michigan to Rutgers would be a little less than lateral. Michigan’s got so many pluses in athletics, academics, and facilities.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/03/22 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

I can’t see KBA doing it now. St. John’s to Rutgers would have made perfect sense. Michigan to Rutgers would be a little less than lateral. Michigan’s got so many pluses in athletics, academics, and facilities.

I can't see Banghart leaving UNC either, for the same reasons. Her base salary is ~$700K with performance bonuses of ~$400K.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/03/22 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to ponder whom CViv might have thought could be her best successor. Now, I LOVED her and her legacy in the game, but....she could be a bit wifty at times. Is it possible - and I have no clue about this - that she's not at her full mental capacity these days?

Like so many legends, she's a VERY tough act to follow for any coach. Hire a Big Name, and all will expect Big Results - NOW; that's a tough task, given Rutger's current state of affairs.

My inkling is that they'll be scouting for someone with promise, if only a bit of HC experience. Mark Campbell, for example - He jumped from an AC at a national contender (OR) to Sacramento St. He was certainly drawing hot reviews while at OR. I don't really think he'd be on their list, but....you get my drift. NOT currently a Big Name, but every potential to BE one.

I always fancied Essence Carson as one to enter the coaching ranks, she's involved in the music industry these days.

PostPosted: 05/11/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2022/05/added-bonus-for-coaching-search-rutgers-spends-most-in-big-ten-for-womens-hoops.html

Interesting B1G spending comparison. CVS not only was the second highest paid coach last year (while on leave) but is also getting $872,000 when she retires.

FOXO1

PostPosted: 05/21/22 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
This is coaching tree is an impressive graphic of all the goodness that Vivian Stringer has accomplished!

https://twitter.com/itsBTerrell/status/1520392558983380992/photo/1

Ironically my first thought was UCLA Associate Head Coach Shannon Perry-Lebeauf and I was just basing that off the fact that she seems ripe for a HC job, then I clicked the tweet and graphic you linked and realized she is actually listed on C Viv's coaching tree.

However, upon further research, I believe the connection is a relatively small one: Shannon Perry-Lebeauf's played her freshman season of college basketball at Iowa during C. Viv's final season coaching there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: