RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cynthia Cooper Dyke's Reign of Terror

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 05/05/22 10:53 am    ::: Cynthia Cooper Dyke's Reign of Terror Reply Reply with quote

At the time, everyone knew something was very wrong because of CCD's record of transfers from her programs. The truth was every bit as bad as we suspected.

https://theathletic.com/3292876/2022/05/05/cynthia-cooper-dyke-texas-southern/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/22 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't read, requires a subscription. It's kind of unfair to post articles like this that require subscriptions. Not all of us can subscribe to every little thing.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a reader view, which is how I got it. But here's one from SI that doesn't require a subscription.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/05/cynthia-cooper-dyke-accused-of-abusive-behavior-womens-basketball

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/22 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. She sounds like a nightmare! And Texas Southern's Title IX policy needs some serious review. That's not right. I wonder if her reign of terror is one reason UNCW hasn't amounted to anything in recent memory.....

PostPosted: 05/05/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is One. Sick. Bitch. Evil or Very Mad

Allegations can come and go, but....from THREE schools??

PostPosted: 05/05/22 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This made me very sad to read.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/05/22 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She had violations at every damn stop and people kept hiring her. It's sickening.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Can't read, requires a subscription. It's kind of unfair to post articles like this that require subscriptions. Not all of us can subscribe to every little thing.

Here's what I do if I get to an article that has a subscription - I just Google the article and find it somewhere else. I don't do it often, but I don't think that it has ever not worked.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 05/05/22 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The coach called the allegations “untrue” in a statement to The Athletic.

“Throughout my years as a coach, I’ve had countless interactions with players in my role as their coach, mentor and friend,” she said in a text. “I had positive relationships with the majority of players and staff, and my only intention was to maximize players’ potential and help them be their best. While these allegations are untrue, everyone deserves to work, play and learn in a respectful environment, and I deeply apologize for and regret any words used during the course of a spirited game or practice that offended or hurt someone.”

I know she's expected to say that, but y'all, dang, why, how. How is she allowed to say and do those things? Did no assistants feel they could or should step up? I know innocent until proven guilty, but I also know where there's smoke there's fire.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/22 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
The coach called the allegations “untrue” in a statement to The Athletic.

“Throughout my years as a coach, I’ve had countless interactions with players in my role as their coach, mentor and friend,” she said in a text. “I had positive relationships with the majority of players and staff, and my only intention was to maximize players’ potential and help them be their best. While these allegations are untrue, everyone deserves to work, play and learn in a respectful environment, and I deeply apologize for and regret any words used during the course of a spirited game or practice that offended or hurt someone.”

I know she's expected to say that, but y'all, dang, why, how. How is she allowed to say and do those things? Did no assistants feel they could or should step up? I know innocent until proven guilty, but I also know where there's smoke there's fire.

When that many players at that many places talk about her that way, you know damn well it's true. She can STFU and take her medicine, and pardon my French. Nobody has the right to abuse someone else's kids that way, even if those kids are nominally (and legally) adults.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She sounds like the one with the mental health problem

PostPosted: 05/06/22 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

Obviously the young women mentioned/quoted in this article are the primary victims, and they deserve the vast majority of our empathy. But reading this story honestly makes me feel bad for Cynthia too. How very broken, it makes her seem. These were not the words and actions of a healthy, whole person.

But again, the main takeaway: she should no longer be trusted in a position of power over young people.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/06/22 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, the Very Close 2nd Place culprits here are the school administrators who turned blind eyes and deaf ears on the kids who complained.

Cynthia is hardly a victim: the mental pathology that might allow her to find ANY qualified reason to treat another human being that way is no excuse - an explanation maybe, but no excuse. Moreover, those in authority that heard the complaints AND DID NOT FIX IT deserve to be hit with lawsuits for their complicity in this

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/06/22 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's been like this since the 2001 Phoenix Mercury and is only now getting cancelled? That is the only surprising part to me.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Obviously the young women mentioned/quoted in this article are the primary victims, and they deserve the vast majority of our empathy. But reading this story honestly makes me feel bad for Cynthia too. How very broken, it makes her seem. These were not the words and actions of a healthy, whole person.

But again, the main takeaway: she should no longer be trusted in a position of power over young people.

well said. I just had this feeling like she has no idea how to act as a coach...or even an empathetic human being. sad.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/22 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m too busy to read, but is this similar to the Sheryl Swoopes coaching situation? Has anybody from that venerable Comets team turned out to be a good coach?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/06/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m too busy to read, but is this similar to the Sheryl Swoopes coaching situation? Has anybody from that venerable Comets team turned out to be a good coach?

Some of the later Comets had respectable careers without any huge scandals...Dawn Staley, Jen Rizzotti, Coquese Washington.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/06/22 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget Tina Thompson Wink

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/06/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Tina Thompson may have been a disaster as a basketball coach, but at least so far she seems like a relatively normal human being.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another article referencing not only CCD but other issues concerning women athletes. Title IX is not the protection it should be.
https://deadspin.com/women-athletes-are-being-mistreated-across-the-board-1848887855

PostPosted: 05/07/22 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jfc. it's all the more ridiculous when you hear coaches throughout the wbb world attribute the increasing transfer rate to "entitlement." maybe for some players, but clearly a number of institutions are willing to coddle abusers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: