RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 South Carolina - 4/03/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
South Carolina
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 22

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston is so great I’d hate to see her in Indiana,atlanta or Dallas Laughing

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They got it done!! SO PROUD OF SC!!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. I'm annoyed that they couldn't have the common courtesy to lose early enough in the tournament to payoff on my #HateHard parlay, but there's never a bad time for a Connecticut loss.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice move Dawn. Taking the trophy to the band.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better players, better offense, better defense, better rebounding, better game plan, better execution, better bench, better coaching = expected winner, with even more ease than I imagined. Because I couldn't imagine UConn's guards being so effete and ineffective.

Congrats to the Gamecocks.

Good fortune post graduation to ONO and Williams, two of the most frustrating career players I have ever watched at UConn, and transfer Evina Westbrook.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UConn bias is such that Holly Rowe announced one of their players as MOP

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
South Carolina played an excellent game, and UConn needed a subpar game for them to win.

SC shot 36% from the floor, 18% from three, and 65% on FTs. How badly would they have needed to play?

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
why such a disparity in free throws/fouls? SC does not play that clean.

No post presence for Connecticut. CT didn't battle at all with SC for rebounds in the paint - USC out-rebounded CT 49-24. CT mostly looked for their offense outside on perimeter jump shots. Williams is typically the #1 Huskie that drives to the basket and slashes into the paint, and she was non-existent tonight.

Nelson-Ododa led the Huskies in free throw attempts this past season, and she took two (2) field goal attampts all game.

Dorka Juhasz was CT's #2 highest FT shooter, and she was unavailable to play.

Williams was CT's #3 FT shooter, and she was mostly invisible all game long.

Westbrook was CT's #4 FT shooter, and she took 10 attempts in 18 minutes, at least one attempt I saw she was legitimately fouled by Boston that wasn't called, but she took no foul shots. In fact, those top 4 Huskie players took zero (0) foul attempts tonight.....

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The UConn bias is such that Holly Rowe announced one of their players as MOP

A Steve Harvey moment?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
South Carolina played an excellent game, and UConn needed a subpar game for them to win.

SC shot 36% from the floor, 18% from three, and 65% on FTs. How badly would they have needed to play?

They needed less intense defense and rebounding. They were an A+ in those areas the whole game.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Allyiah Edwards for winning MOP! Laughing Wink

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Boston is so great I’d hate to see her in Indiana,atlanta or Dallas Laughing
Dallas has acquired their giant post player already that will take them to the Promise Land. The Big Mac.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"][quote="mercfan3"]South Carolina played an excellent game, and UConn needed a subpar game for them to win.[/quote]

SC shot 36% from the floor, 18% from three, and 65% on FTs. How badly would they have needed to play?[/quote]

THIS Uconn had no business getting to the final, but the state of the game is the stats above. They say it all about the current players in college basketball.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Better players, better offense, better defense, better rebounding, better game plan, better execution, better bench, better coaching = expected winner, with even more ease than I imagined. Because I couldn't imagine UConn's guards being so effete and ineffective.

Congrats to the Gamecocks.

Good fortune post graduation to ONO and Williams, two of the most frustrating career players I have ever watched at UConn, and transfer Evina Westbrook.

This. ^^^^^

Congrats to the Gamecocks!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biggest kudos to The Gamecocks for a stellar performance. There were really pretty impervious on defense, and (at least while Boston was on the floor) they were nearly unstoppable on offense.

Huskies played their hearts out, even if not with the same finesse that SC did. They really DID prevent an embarrassment of a blowout. I see a tired Geno.

Murdle? Cardinal? I do believe we Stanford rooters could not have expected any better outcome if they'd made it to the final against this well-tuned, hyper-ready Gamecock Team.

PostPosted: 04/04/22 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
THIS Uconn had no business getting to the final, but the state of the game is the stats above. They say it all about the current players in college basketball.

Yes, things were much better in 2010 when UConn won shooting 32%. That was better than their opponent, Stanford, who shot 26%. Maybe you think it was better in 2002, when UConn handily defeated Oklahoma while going 0/9 from three with 21 turnovers.

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Yes, things were much better in 2010 when UConn won shooting 32%. That was better than their opponent, Stanford, who shot 26%. Maybe you think it was better in 2002, when UConn handily defeated Oklahoma while going 0/9 from three with 21 turnovers.

In case anyone is interested, the 2002 and 2010 UConn teams would throttle the current one by such wide margins, that the likes of Stacy Marron, Jacquie Hernandes, et al, would get significant (for them) court time.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game went exactly the way I expected it to. SC simply ran over UConn. Defense, rebound, and run. The rebounding was insane! Rebounding beats poor shooting, because if you can rebound a poor shot, you can get it in there much of the time on the second or even third try. And it wasn't so much that UConn didn't have a post presence as that SC just shut it down and didn't let the post players in there. They might have been better with Juhasz, but I think only marginally. Also the flopping didn't help them at all; I think the refs knew they were going to do it and just ignored it. And between Boston inside and Henderson out there, well, what can anyone say except what a phenomenal night?!

Congrats to Dawn and the Gamecocks on a well-deserved win and championship.

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

In case anyone is interested, the 2002 and 2010 UConn teams would throttle the current one by such wide margins, that the likes of Stacy Marron, Jacquie Hernandes, et al, would get significant (for them) court time.

No doubt. There's more depth of talent today and it's far more widely dispersed.

But I agree that the stats of one game, even the NCAA final, are not indicative of the game as a whole or even necessarily of the teams that post them.

Last edited by pilight on 04/04/22 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/04/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

No doubt. There's more depth of talent today and it's far more widely dispersed.

I agree.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: