RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oscars
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/28/22 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Will Smith smacks Chris Rock and then curses at him for joking about his wife. USA television censored the word exchange.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1508270716063469576

I'm still not clear on WHY that isn't plastered all over the place (bearing in mind that I will not do twitter, et al.). I haven't gone hunting for details - not on such drivel - but typically it's forced all over the net. Mind you, I'm kinda glad it's not being schmeared all over, but I find it odd, given the media event it was.

It is plastered all over, from Twitter to CNN to ABC News. Most of the non-official comments seem to be focused on blaming Jada Pinkett for the whole thing, saying she's not worth defending because she had an affair while married to Will Smith and "it's only alopecia."

I suspect that if it had been a popular celebrity with post-chemo baldness, the reactions would be a lot different.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Will Smith smacks Chris Rock and then curses at him for joking about his wife. USA television censored the word exchange.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1508270716063469576

I'm still not clear on WHY that isn't plastered all over the place (bearing in mind that I will not do twitter, et al.). I haven't gone hunting for details - not on such drivel - but typically it's forced all over the net. Mind you, I'm kinda glad it's not being schmeared all over, but I find it odd, given the media event it was.

It is plastered all over, from Twitter to CNN to ABC News. Most of the non-official comments seem to be focused on blaming Jada Pinkett for the whole thing, saying she's not worth defending because she had an affair while married to Will Smith and "it's only alopecia."

I suspect that if it had been a popular celebrity with post-chemo baldness, the reactions would be a lot different.

It doesn't justify Will Smith's actions (he was wrong and he knows it), but the joke was cruel. Mocking someone for having alopecia is body-shaming.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
It is plastered all over, from Twitter to CNN to ABC News.

Yeah, I know that now. Razz Wished I hadn't 'investigated'.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
It doesn't justify Will Smith's actions (he was wrong and he knows it), but the joke was cruel. Mocking someone for having alopecia is body-shaming.

Rock says he was unaware of her condition

PostPosted: 03/29/22 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Rock is ignorant. She's spoken about it publicly before on her own FB talk show and other interviews, and discussed hairstyles and treatments and resources for other women that have it, and also some of the crap she's taken as a black woman. Her headpiece at the Critics Choice awards just last week got a lot of publicity.
https://pagesix.com/2022/03/15/jada-pinkett-smith-wore-46k-diamond-headpiece-to-critics-choice-awards/

I wish that instead of the the slap, Smith had brought her up on the stage with him and the two of them could have told Rock it was inappropriate to joke about anyone's health issues or disabilities, and that there were resources available for affected women and girls.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/29/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Rock is ignorant. She's spoken about it publicly before on her own FB talk show and other interviews, and discussed hairstyles and treatments and resources for other women that have it, and also some of the crap she's taken as a black woman. Her headpiece at the Critics Choice awards just last week got a lot of publicity.
https://pagesix.com/2022/03/15/jada-pinkett-smith-wore-46k-diamond-headpiece-to-critics-choice-awards/

Not everyone is as tied in as you, apparently. I keep up somewhat on celebrity news, and I had no idea. I also had no idea that there was such as thing as an FB talk show. I noticed Jada's hairstyle, thought it was intentional and thought she looked freakin' fantastic *shrug* Not knowing any back story, I wouldn't have give that comment a second thought except to think about how stale the reference is and start to wonder how long it has been since Chris Rock has been relevant.

What I suspect will happen from this, is that people will be less likely to joke off the cuff and less likely to be spontaneous, less than step on a landmine they didn't know was there. For people who like shows like the Oscars, it will make them more pre-scripted and less spontaneous. It will likely make fewer people want to participate.

I'm not saying that's good or bad or should or shouldn't happen. But I think it will.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/30/22 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Will Smith did is a scene purposely written into a lot of movies (only with a punch) to stimulate viewer interest and excitement and make the male lead seem masculine or give the male lead a reason to get back at someone. Seems hypocritical for the "The Academy" to say they don't condone violence (beyond the fact that they in fact did condone it by letting Smith stay seated front row and then let him give a halting disjointed obtuse never-ending acceptance speech that had no play-off music) when they aren't doing a bunch of comedies these days. You go to the movies and you are likely to see a ton of violence, even if a lot of it is now in a cartoon/science fiction setting. A lot more killing in the last James Bond movie than you would have seen with Sean Connery or Roger Moore back in the day.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/30/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Academy Starts Disciplinary Proceedings Against Will Smith, Expulsion on the Table

Quote:
One notable new bit of information is the Academy stating they asked Will Smith to leave the Dolby Theatre but Smith refused to do so.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/22 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They don’t have security at the Oscars?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They don’t have security at the Oscars?

Of course they have security. But, what do you want them to do? Physically remove a major star on live television? Things could have gotten a lot more ugly really quickly. Given a two minute or so commercial break, it is happening when it happens, it is happening in front of the world. That is in no one's best interest.

I get that the whoever would have made the call was in a weird place. No one could have seen this coming and they clearly had no contingency plans. It probably wasn't even clear whose call it was to make. It's hard to criticize them for not quite knowing how to handle a situation in real time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: