RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Some of the at-large bids are a joke. I don’t know what “other criteria” they considered, unless one of them is money, but Vandy? REALLY????

I can't imagine caring that much about who gets in the WNIT when teams actually turn it down. Like, why do you even care who is in the field or what record they have? These are kids who didn't have seasons go the they wanted and they get to play some more games. This is a strange post.

Well, Mr. UConn, if you are a mid-major fan like I am, you would care. But YOU can't be bothered, and I don't care what you think. However, JMU, in years past, has played in the WNIT with a winning record and made it to the semifinals a couple of times. Mid-majors DO care because for a lot of them, this is their time to shine. Having a team like Vandy, with its losing record and lackluster season in there kind of diminishes things. So that's why. Take your UConn snobbery elsewhere.

But... there have always been mediocre P5 schools in there, mixed in with the sterling mid-majors. That's part of the appeal, isn't it? The chance to meet those teams, with their borrowed pedigree and their puffed-up TLAs, and show them what you're really made of?

Admittedly, this year there are a couple of truly putrid ones, and I too would like an explanation for why there are sub-.500 teams when there usually aren't. The thought occurs to me that in the wake of COVID, smaller schools might not want to take on the expense of either hosting another game or traveling to another game, whereas a school like Minnesota or Vanderbilt can absorb those costs more easily.

FWIW, I care who's in in the sense of "which of my teams are playing/which teams I can easily get to are hosting?" not in the sense of doing a deep dive into the bracket.

It does suck that JMU didn't get a chance to make a conference tournament run to get over .500 and probably get given more consideration for a potential at-large. I know how much you loathe the CAA, but I'm going to miss the extra opportunity for y'all coming up here to play Hofstra.

PostPosted: 03/15/22 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Some of the at-large bids are a joke. I don’t know what “other criteria” they considered, unless one of them is money, but Vandy? REALLY????

I can't imagine caring that much about who gets in the WNIT when teams actually turn it down. Like, why do you even care who is in the field or what record they have? These are kids who didn't have seasons go the they wanted and they get to play some more games. This is a strange post.

Well, Mr. UConn, if you are a mid-major fan like I am, you would care. But YOU can't be bothered, and I don't care what you think. However, JMU, in years past, has played in the WNIT with a winning record and made it to the semifinals a couple of times. Mid-majors DO care because for a lot of them, this is their time to shine. Having a team like Vandy, with its losing record and lackluster season in there kind of diminishes things. So that's why. Take your UConn snobbery elsewhere.

But... there have always been mediocre P5 schools in there, mixed in with the sterling mid-majors. That's part of the appeal, isn't it? The chance to meet those teams, with their borrowed pedigree and their puffed-up TLAs, and show them what you're really made of?

Admittedly, this year there are a couple of truly putrid ones, and I too would like an explanation for why there are sub-.500 teams when there usually aren't. The thought occurs to me that in the wake of COVID, smaller schools might not want to take on the expense of either hosting another game or traveling to another game, whereas a school like Minnesota or Vanderbilt can absorb those costs more easily.

FWIW, I care who's in in the sense of "which of my teams are playing/which teams I can easily get to are hosting?" not in the sense of doing a deep dive into the bracket.

It does suck that JMU didn't get a chance to make a conference tournament run to get over .500 and probably get given more consideration for a potential at-large. I know how much you loathe the CAA, but I'm going to miss the extra opportunity for y'all coming up here to play Hofstra.

In the way that Jewish people say "Next year in Jerusalem", we here in Harrisonburg have been saying "Next year in the Sun Belt". Although that will not be an easy road either, having to contend with such as Troy and Appy State. However, our road has been made somewhat easier by the departure of Little Rock for C-USA and UTA for the WAC. But though ODU, Marshall, and Southern Miss have departed C-USA to join us in the Sun Belt, the only competition I see there is possibly ODU. Nikki McCray had made a good start at rebuilding what Karen Barefoot destroyed, but it's kinda gone to seed again. The other two look kinda middle of the road.

PostPosted: 03/17/22 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drake beats Missouri! Great day for the MVC overall with UNI beating UMKC and of course Missouri State knocking off FSU in the First Four.

PostPosted: 03/18/22 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
The transfer portal came into play with West Virginia turning down a WNIT bid:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1503469855810412550

I’m now wondering if this was foreshadowing Carey’s retirement announcement.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/18/22 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
The transfer portal came into play with West Virginia turning down a WNIT bid:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1503469855810412550

I’m now wondering if this was foreshadowing Carey’s retirement announcement.

I was just reading last night about how former WV commit Marley Washenitz was told in January that her offer was being revoked because too many graduate players were planning on coming back and they were out of scholarships. As far as I could tell she's still unsigned, and WV has 2 and counting spots available for next year. Blessing in disguise, or salt on the wound?

PostPosted: 03/19/22 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So just as an FYI the WNIT bracket is a bit... dynamic. Apparently the matchups aren't fully set until the end of each "wave" of games. (I imagine the Fordham and Columbia players who were scouting each other's games were very surprised by this. Not that it matters for Fordham anymore... how the hell did that season fall apart so hard... Evil or Very Mad )

PostPosted: 03/24/22 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet 16 tonight for the WNIT. Marquette-Toledo is on FloHoops and a couple games are on ESPN3.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/22 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA-Wyoming game and OrSU-NM are on pac12 network.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/24/22 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall-Drexel is on FloHoops also like Marquette-Toledo and both are free broadcasts.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wyoming leads UCLA 12-10 at the end of one. This is one exceedingly ugly game.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/24/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall won tonight and will play at Columbia in the next round.

Toledo won at Marquette and will play Middle Tennessee State in the next round.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/22 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the Duff sisters 7-7 from 3 in the first quarter as NM is scorching OrSU.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA wins by 1 pt in triple OT.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/24/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got back from that banana-pants Columbia game in which the Lions took their first lead over Boston College with 12 seconds to go and won the game 54-51 despite shooting 0-for-everything beyond the arc.

PostPosted: 03/24/22 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OrSU pulls out the win and now plays UCLA for the umpteenth time on Sunday.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

....but only the second time this season. Beavs won that one, at home, by 14. Tough to call this one.

Out of the EE here/now, I'm giving South Dakota St. the best chance of taking it all. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/25/22 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

....but only the second time this season. Beavs won that one, at home, by 14. Tough to call this one.

Out of the EE here/now, I'm giving South Dakota St. the best chance of taking it all. Very Happy

yeah I think SDSU has a great chance here.
As for OrSU - UCLA, I loved Scottie's postgame comments where he said that they would of course want to win and move on, but if that UCLA beat them, they would root for UCLA the rest of the way. And that he hoped Stanford would win the Nattie because he always roots for the P12. He's really a quiet class act.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/22 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In case you want to warm up for the NCAAs later today:

OrSU v UCLA in the WNIT E8 at noon today (Pacific time) on P12 network

SDSU v Alabama at 3 pm (Pacific time) on ESPN3

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA wins 74-66
pretty interesting game. Bad clock management by OrSU. Terrible use of their massive height advantage. Best two players on the court by far were Osbourne and Penn. In general, the Beavers were way better when Codding was on the bench. But I guess Scott wanted to play her a lot since it was her last game.
Rolling Eyes And by playing her a lot he pretty much insured it was her last game. Anyway maybe he didn't want to make the trip to South Dakota in the next round. I think SDSU (if they beat Alabama today) will beat UCLA.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/27/22 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDSU wins 78-73

Bama went crazy from 3 in the 3rd to take the lead after trailing by 14 at halftime. SDSU went on a run in the fourth to retake the lead and a steal by Tylee Irwin was huge to seal the win

PostPosted: 03/27/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Off the top of my head I can't recall seeing such a seesawing scoring affair! Might need to go back and watch the replay of this at some point to see why certain quarters 1, 3, and 4 were so lopsided.

PostPosted: 03/27/22 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Off the top of my head I can't recall seeing such a seesawing scoring affair! Might need to go back and watch the replay of this at some point to see why certain quarters 1, 3, and 4 were so lopsided.

Didn't get to the 1st Half but I turned it on with 8 minutes left in the 3Q. Bama switched to a zone with caused SDSU struggles scoring. Got lots of looks but couldn't convert and that energized Bama. Then Bama made 8 consecutive 3's to take the lead.

The fourth seemed to have the Jacks figure out how to handle the zone and Bama cooled off from shooting. But a fun second half to watch.

PostPosted: 03/27/22 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"]UCLA wins 74-66
pretty interesting game. Bad clock management by OrSU. Terrible use of their massive height advantage. Best two players on the court by far were Osbourne and Penn. In general, the Beavers were way better when Codding was on the bench. But I guess Scott wanted to play her a lot since it was her last game.
Rolling Eyes And by playing her a lot he pretty much insured it was her last game. Anyway maybe he didn't want to make the trip to South Dakota in the next round. I think SDSU (if they beat Alabama today) will beat UCLA.[/quote]

SDSU beat UCLA earlier this season but they didn't have Dugalic. I give it to UCLA.

leeshajo

PostPosted: 03/27/22 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
myrtle wrote:
UCLA wins 74-66
Rolling Eyes And by playing her a lot he pretty much insured it was her last game. Anyway maybe he didn't want to make the trip to South Dakota in the next round. I think SDSU (if they beat Alabama today) will beat UCLA.

SDSU beat UCLA earlier this season but they didn't have Dugalic. I give it to UCLA.

SDSU didn't have Selland or Irwin that game either.

Gonna be a different game for both teams

PostPosted: 03/28/22 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and today is Queenie's game: Seton Hall at Columbia at 8 pm eastern

and also MTSU at Toledo at 7 pm.

both are on ESPN3 in case you want to double dip with the ncaa games.

Then we will have the final 4!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: