RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/22 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=15

South Carolina still unanimous

NC State up to #4

Iowa State up to #6

Georgia Tech down to #16

Virginia Tech in
Oregon out

PostPosted: 02/21/22 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=16

NC State up to #3

North Carolina up to #18

Georgia Tech down to #22

Oregon in at a tie for #25

PostPosted: 02/21/22 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how is Georgia still in, and why is Iowa State so high?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/21/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Georgia earned a buffer in the non-conference portion of the season, notching some great non-conference wins and avoiding bad losses. They've struggled a bit in conference play, but I'd say 25 is still fair.

Iowa State has also done its part by avoiding bad losses, only losing to top 11 teams while beating #21 Iowa plus the entire Big 12 outside of Texas and Baylor. Texas does seem to have the upper hand on Iowa State when they play head to head, but Texas has had pretty terrible losses of its own.

PostPosted: 02/21/22 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Georgia earned a buffer in the non-conference portion of the season, notching some great non-conference wins and avoiding bad losses. They've struggled a bit in conference play, but I'd say 25 is still fair.

Iowa State has also done its part by avoiding bad losses, only losing to top 11 teams while beating #21 Iowa plus the entire Big 12 outside of Texas and Baylor. Texas does seem to have the upper hand on Iowa State when they play head to head, but Texas has had pretty terrible losses of its own.

Iowa St lost all four of their premier games - twice to TX plus Baylor and LSU. What exactly have they accomplished to merit a top 10 ranking (6th prior to their most recent Texas loss)?

It seems a lot of Big 12 teams are living off of playing Texas, while Texas is living off of beating Stanford the first week of the season. Other than Baylor, none of the Big 12 teams impress me in watching them, and except for that one win over Stanford, none of them seem to have beaten anyone notable other than each other. Where are the non-conference wins that validate these rankings?

UGA may have more losses, but they've also played and beaten better teams including wins over NCSt, Notre Dame and Florida, and most of their losses are to the likes of SCar, GaTech, LSU and Tenn. I wonder what Iowa State's record would be vs UGA's schedule. If Iowa St is 9, UGA certainly belongs in the top 25.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/22/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Iowa St lost all four of their premier games - twice to TX plus Baylor and LSU. What exactly have they accomplished to merit a top 10 ranking (6th prior to their most recent Texas loss)?

It seems a lot of Big 12 teams are living off of playing Texas, while Texas is living off of beating Stanford the first week of the season. Other than Baylor, none of the Big 12 teams impress me in watching them, and except for that one win over Stanford, none of them seem to have beaten anyone notable other than each other. Where are the non-conference wins that validate these rankings?

UGA may have more losses, but they've also played and beaten better teams including wins over NCSt, Notre Dame and Florida, and most of their losses are to the likes of SCar, GaTech, LSU and Tenn. I wonder what Iowa State's record would be vs UGA's schedule. If Iowa St is 9, UGA certainly belongs in the top 25.

What they did was lead the B1G. That's all it takes for the AP. Just another example of the media's gross bias in favor of the P5 conferences. Wcbb may be a sport but it's strictly a business for the media. But with all the media money flowing into the N Dame bank accounts I understand your blindness to that reality.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/22/22 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

What they did was lead the B1G. That's all it takes for the AP. Just another example of the media's gross bias in favor of the P5 conferences. Wcbb may be a sport but it's strictly a business for the media. But with all the media money flowing into the N Dame bank accounts I understand your blindness to that reality.

I believe you are confusing the B1G with the Big 12.

PostPosted: 02/22/22 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State's four losses are against top 11 teams. They have defeated Iowa, Oklahoma twice, Kansas State twice, while taking care of business against every other team they were "supposed" to beat, which is more than you can say for many many teams. They take care of the ball, play average defense, shoot the ball extremely well, and have pretty good scoring balance between the frontcourt and backcourt. What is the big fuss about them being ranked #9?

PostPosted: 02/22/22 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, where are the OOC wins to validate any of the exalted Big 12 rankings?

The leaders of the SEC, ACC and PAC all have big time OOC wins to validate their positions. The entire Big12 is hanging by the thread of the first week tourney win by TX over Stanford.

Compare Iowa St to UNC. All of UNC's losses are to ranked teams, but they have a win over the #4 team in the country. UNC's record is more impressive, but it hasn't come near a #6 ranking. Iowa St has ZERO impressive wins. Not a single win that would warrant anything close to a top 10 ranking.

I go back to what started this discussion, which was a comparison of UGA and IowaSt. I expect that if Iowa St had played UGA's schedule their losses would be closer to 10 than to 4.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/22 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where's my popcorn? just sitting back to enjoy the show...

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Power 5 teams in general, but it seems especially in the Big XII (and IMO the middle of the SEC), are tautological in nature: they're good because they beat good teams, who are also good teams because they beat good teams, and so forth in circles. "Shaped like itself" might be the applicable phrase here.

PostPosted: 02/22/22 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Carolina has not approached a top 10 ranking because in the OOC the best opponent they scheduled has a current NET ranking of 92. Here are their opponents:

#227 NC A&T
#94 Charlotte
#200 App State
#146 TCU
#92 VCU
#108 Washington
#98 Minnesota
#164 James Madison
#332 UNC Asheville
#296 Alabama State

Since starting ACC play they've managed to get crushed by Georgia Tech and NC State, split the series with Virginia Tech, and scrape out a 1 point victory over Louisville. North Carolina is certainly a solid team, but does anyone think they've been shortchanged by the AP voters?

PostPosted: 02/22/22 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys are overthinking the relative rankings of Iowa State and North Carolina. The difference between them is mostly poll inertia. Iowa State started the season at #12 while North Carolina was unranked and receiving no votes. Of course Iowa State is ranked much higher, given the trajectory of their seasons.

PostPosted: 02/22/22 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You guys are overthinking the relative rankings of Iowa State and North Carolina. The difference between them is mostly poll inertia. Iowa State started the season at #12 while North Carolina was unranked and receiving no votes. Of course Iowa State is ranked much higher, given the trajectory of their seasons.

There is a lot of truth to this. But, the OOC scheduling played a significant role. North Carolina scheduled no opportunities to prove they were "worthy" of votes. Meanwhile Iowa State was actually playing, and beating, teams with a pulse.

Now I'm going to stop wasting energy trying to talk Iowa State up so much because it feels a bit dirty, seeing that I'm an Iowa fan. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/22/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

There is a lot of truth to this. But, the OOC scheduling played a significant role. North Carolina scheduled no opportunities to prove they were "worthy" of votes. Meanwhile Iowa State was actually playing, and beating, teams with a pulse.

Perhaps. OTOH, NET has North Carolina ranked much higher than Iowa State. Massey has them about even (#8 and #9).

PostPosted: 02/28/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone forgot how to spell Louisville. They have the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns at #4. Am looking forward to conference tourney this week.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=17

LSU up to #6

Iowa up to #12

Florida down to #23

Oregon out

PostPosted: 03/07/22 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=18

South Carolina still #1

Baylor up to #4

Iowa up to #8

Arizona down to #20

Kentucky, Princeton, and Central Florida in
Florida, Georgia, and Georgia Tech out

PostPosted: 03/07/22 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see FIVE Big Ten teams in the top 15.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky went from unranked to #16. That’s quite the leap. And yet SC didn’t drop at all after a loss to an unranked team, not that I’m in love with Stanford at #1 either.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/22 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Kentucky went from unranked to #16. That’s quite the leap. And yet SC didn’t drop at all after a loss to an unranked team, not that I’m in love with Stanford at #1 either.

Kentucky was unranked and receiving no votes.

South Carolina went from unanimously #1 to receiving 60% of the first place votes.

PostPosted: 03/14/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=19

South Carolina still #1

Louisville up to #4

BYU down to #20

Same 25 teams as last week
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: